Sunday, May 31, 2009

A trip back to 1780's

                                                                      Mural of the Cornwallis House at Historic Camden located on Broad St. Camden, SC


Even tho I live in the South and tons of Civil and Revolutionary War history lay at my feet I'm more into Ancient History. I do however run across much of the more recent American history when I take a day trip. So the very last South Carolina battle of the Civil War was fought in Boykin, but I never got the scoop on who won that battle... Well doesnt matter...the main reason I visited Boykin was to see the old buildings and the mill pond! Oh did I mention they had a mill? A 1792 Grits and Meal Mill still in operation!!! Amazing right?


                                                                   Boykin Mill c-1792


                                             The mill pond with old us Hwy 521 bridge over Swift Creek


The old highway was called the King's Highway and made it's way to
Charleston where goods arrived in the harbor. 

                                                              An Anhinga flew over






                                              Old Farming equip and Stores in Boykin


                                                     The Swift Creek Baptist  Church c-1782


    These Windows 16 over 16 and each pane is aprx. 14 inches tall...The windows are huge...




Its always fun to visit small towns, Boykin has a population of about 200 souls and I think they all have the last name of Boykin! This also home of the Boykin Spaniel a water retriever.

(All these photos were lost so I recently went back and took photos again, most of the operations of the mill are now closed 2021)

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful old place that looks Dixxie. That mill looks great. I think I could spend ages soaking up that atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mill is amazing - love the photos you got of this! This would be a great place to explore!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful old place, full of history, lovely photos, I loved the shot of the Anhinga, I've never heard of it. What a shame you didn't manage to get a photo of the Boykin Spaniel, that would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!