Friday, April 1, 2022

Cold Week!

Last  week and this week was colder than it should  be for this time of year with a chilly north-westerly wind...So I didn't get out much to go exploring...and it was time to finish up some yard work...BUT I did get out on a few short runs. 


A Pied Billed Grebe glides in front of the Cyprus reflections  at Goodale park...this is a breeding adult due to the Black Line on the beak. There is no difference between males and females just looking at the coloration of the bird.. 


The weather is going to change next week so they say...soon I m sure you will hear me grumbling about the heat! That's just the way I roll.  



These 2 Pileated Woodpeckers could be mates...I think the one on the Left
 I can barely see a little red stripe on the cheek area and the crest is bigger..

"HE went that a way..." 


The Eastern Phoebe was busy with some preening!

Another Yellow Throated Warbler this week...again the numbers seem lower than normal so far...



And then he got down out of the wind, to relax a few minutes...



I think I have been mis-IDing the female, as a Pine Warbler, I must be sure to take a look at the eye area, as these birds could look similar from underneath....

Eastern Bluebird...



A Great Egret, this bird seemed to be eating the tassels on this tree top...


This Goose had a couple Killdeer invade his personal space...





A Goose couple floating around...

I stopped at the tennis & pickle ball center to use the facilities so I thought I would check for some birds...the restrooms were immaculately clean.  Im happy to find that cause when Im at Bramblewood nearby they have NO facilities, this is within a 5 minute drive. 



And I found a few...like this Brown Thrasher who did his best to hide and get a look at me at the same time...


A Northern Mockingbird was building a nest in this small cedar tree...


In  5 mins I found 5 species of bird...If I had stayed a little longer I may have found more...I will go again and walk the whole perimeter...there is a fantastic drainage ditch, good habitat for birds.  Ive been doing more urban birding because Im combining  trips to grocery stores and doing errands with birding, all in one trip.  




Over at Bramblewood a Palm Warbler perched  for my attention...


At the stop light on the way home I see the Historic Battle Mural is getting a spruce up...It had faded out and now it's getting a facelift. 



Back at home,  I like this packaging, just the product in a biodegradable box!! No plastic.  Tasty croissants, delicious...I've been doing the "shake test" I can hear if there is plastic inside...




A yummy way to end of my first week of Spring...and the first Hummer was spotted in the yard no photo yet but soon I hope!


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Wonderful bird sightings and photos. It was really cold here this past week. Great capture of the Pileated Woodpeckers, I love the pretty Warblers and Bluebird. The mural is awesome! The croissants sound yummy. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! I think this week our tempts are going to be more in the normal range. Hummers arrived here on Wednesday so Im looking forward to watching them at the feeder, only a single male for now but soon the females arrive and that's when all the fun begins! Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  2. Awesome pics. Loved the warbler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sis, thanks a bunch!! I can't wait to see what you guys bag in TX.

      Delete
  3. I would love to see a Pileated woodpecker someday! At least you did get out and do some exploring and taking fabulous pictures! The Mural is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I was happy to see the Mural get a fresh coat of paint, it has that harsh western sun beaming on it all day so it really heats up. The Pileated numbers seem to be increasing with the infestation of the Pine Beetle...so some good does come out of adversity. Hope your trip can happen soon...

      Delete
  4. Its been cold here too Sondra with snow on the hills. Temp down to -6C in some places this morning.

    Again nice pictures are you using your new camera now.?
    It's really handy having such good nature reserves close by, a bit similar to me.

    I love coffee and fresh croissants too.

    I'm very gradually getting some strength back but it'll be a long process, I just wish I could get some weight back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave if there was any way I could give you a couple of extra pounds I sure would I have plenty to spare for sure. I am currently in the midst of a painful HIP problem on the right side...some days I can barely walk. Im terrified to even go to a DR so Im trying every home remedy I can think of. The wind has been a big issue all this month and when it subsides I think I will enjoy the sunshine a lot more. Those croissants were SOOOO flaky and yummy didnt take me long to go thru the whole box. Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. The phoebe (and caption) is so funny! Lovely birds as always -- I didn't know that about the black stripe on the pied-billed grebe. It makes sense with today's gas prices to combine birding with necessary errands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, It's almost like I dread going out anymore cause it's a full day or errands, have to do's and grocery shopping, I normally do my birding FIRST in cause I decide to just let the rest go...lol

      Delete
  6. Awesome pics! The second photo reminds me of the "official" image of Nessie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL..thats funny...I agree it just looks like something coming out of the water with a LONG neck...

      Delete
  7. Happy April Wishes, the year is already passing by so quickly.

    Lovely photographs, I especially like the Yellow Throated Warbler and the mural is very nice.

    Sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, I know its hard to believe it's a 1/3 over already. There is one more mural in town that could use a spruce up so I hope it's next. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  8. It's good to hear about the Hummingbird, shame about the weather though, it's very up and down here too at the moment. Blazing sun followed by frost and - temps! It's amazing what you can see with a bit of urban birding isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I do find Urban Birding to be a little easier for me at the moment I have a problem with one hip just a leg is attached to soooo walking a lot is not going to be happening anytime soon! Yesterday was another mixed bag of weather events! Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!