Friday, April 8, 2022

Nest Season

The past week was a mixed bag of weather cold nights warm days some sunny some windy some stormy..

A small flock of  American Goldfinch stopped to refresh themselves at my feeders while on their Northward Migration. 



I visited Lee County on one of the windy but warm days...One of my new favorite spots is on Newsome road, its only a short cut-through road and gets little traffic....so I can do roadside birding of the wetlands there,



without fear of being run over...


There is two different places on the road where I stop about 3/4 mile apart...


The newly migrated Common Yellowthroat is always good to react to my phishing and comes out to scold me...


Another Migrant who loves to share his call is the White Eyed Vireo.  They have a rather harsh loud call...


The white eye is striking...

Have you ever seen this kind of thing growing on the forest floor?  It's a Fungi, and it's called Stinkhorn Mushroom...


Here it is with a fly on it because it stinks like rotten flesh!! This is how it gets pollinated...it's a striking red color and grows close to the ground...but it's pretty disgusting otherwise!



Saw another Banded Water Snake, he was moving so fast I almost missed him...



A late to leave  White Throated Sparrow was seen...hiding in the Yellow Jasmine...



And I enjoyed watching a pair of Blue Grey Gnatcatchers work on a nest..



They both participate in the building, protection and care of the young, This is the male, wallowing in the nest to make it fit well and...
This is the female below giving it her touch...

Looks like a good fit! 

Below is a video I put together with little editing of the pair at work...and there's some nesting facts in the description so best to watch it on YOUTUBE I think you will find that info interesting!!





 
I plan to check in with them when Im in the area...see how it's going

Im trying a new idea to discourage squirrels....a man I  met in the bird seed section told me to use the Cayenne Pepper birds don't mind it and squirrels wont bother it...so I got some cayenne pepper suet...Im giving it a try.  But I will say don't handle it then rub your face like I did!! AND def don't rub your eyes. 


This was short but hopefully you found something to make you smile. 

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. A lovely post Sondra. Where you are on the migration routes is good for seeing what passes through.
    Love the Blue Grey Gnaycatcher what a great nest builder , I'll look forward to any updates.

    I have heard about cayenne and curry as the birds dont mind it. If it works great.

    Glad you're managing to get out and about so I hope the hips are becoming more manageable.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, so far I saw 2 squirrels sniff but move on from the cayenne suet..and 2 birds tried it but not saying they loved is, so more research is needed...MY hip trouble continues, its not as bad some days I can walk its just pianful and I can't go far or else I pay the price in pain! Getting old really is not pleasant!! enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  2. The Stinkhorn looks fantastic.......in the photo at least not sure i'd want to get closer :D Fingers crossed you get to see good results with the Gnatcatchers, such a clever nest. I've heard the same thing for trying to put off Squirrels, not sure how successful it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, when I saw that red thing sticking out of the ground I was so intrigued...but then the scent no so much!...LoL
      I hope this pair of birds have a successful nesting season...
      Happy Friday.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I like the roadside birding, great sightings. The Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on the nest is a wonderful sighting. They make the cutest sounds. I have never seen the Stinkhorn Mushroom. I hope the Banded Water Snake is the non-poisonous snake. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen...the Banded Water-snake is not poisonous however it does resemble the cottonmouth which is,..so good to stay clear of ALL of them...which I did he was in the water and I was on the bank...
      I hope the little gnatcatchers are successful with some eggs and then chicks!
      Enjoy your Friday!

      Delete
  4. Love the nest building pair I did watch it on YT last night, what a clean and well built nest looks really sturdy, hope you get some photos of chicks. The stinkhorn thing looks like it would smell really bad lol. Roadside picture taking at least helps you to not have to walk so much. I don't deal with snakes at all and while at the campground they kept telling everyone the rattlers are out in force maybe that had more of the reason for leaving early. Now I just had and email for the HOA telling people to please be very watchful they have been sited here also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo that is a very well built nest and the camouflage is awesome too once the leaves fill out in the tree it will barely be noticed. We have all sorts of venomous snakes here from 4 kinds of Rattlers Eastern Diamond Back, Timber Rattler, Tiger Rattler, and the Pygmy Rattler, and others like the "Red Touches Yellow Kills A Fellow" Eastern Coral Snake, Cotton Mouths and Copperheads, one has to always be alert. ...and then there's the Spiders!!! This is why I gave up tent camping!!

      Delete
  5. Banded Water Snake!!! Righteousness

    Big Hugs
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, It's time for snakes for sure...gotta watch my step...enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  6. I thought this was a lovely post.
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs.
    I'd not come across a Stinkhorn Mushroom before ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, I had never seen a mushroom such as that one...there is always something out there new for us even when we think we have seen it all...Have a great Friday!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!