Friday, April 15, 2022

X'D off Another Week.


I think the weather is about to normalize, it's been whacky tho...Heat in the morning open the doors mid day then run the fan in the late afternoon, windows shut and heavy blanket at night!

Been mostly local this week...spotted this unbothered Gr Blue Heron catching a Sunfish..



He swallowed it whole...



In  one gulp


Then he climbed up out of the water onto the shore...he stood 5 feet tall if he was in inch!! That railing is waist high on me, 

I crept down along the creek's edge to spy on this Louisiana Waterthrush  singing  in a tree...I love to catch a video of a bird singing,  so here he is...



Normally I only see them on the ground so this was a rare treat. 



I have at least 50 bird song videos...so catch a listen sometime when you got nothing to do!

The Eastern Bluebirds are getting SO BLUE it's stings my eyes to look  at them! Just Gorgeous!


They are not camera shy this is why I have a shot of one every week pretty much...
And on this day I got a shot of the elusive Female Common Yellowthroat...I showed you a male last week with his black mask...




Caught some interaction between a pair of adult Bald Eagles, they landed across the river, and I made a video of them interacting and calling to each other...I will share that video next week...its taking too long to upload for todays post.  





Wednesday I was able to get out to Sandhills, and had several First of  Year birds...like the Prairie Warbler, 


The Eastern Kingbird, and I found one on a nest as well...


The Orchard Oriole...


AND the Bachman's Sparrow..


Still considered rare, but I am finding them every year in about the same area of the refuge. There was two of them one singing by the road this one, and then another answering off in the not too far distance. 

-----

Meanwhile back at the homestead...the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds have arrived, I didn't catch him in the right light to get  his ruby throat to display but I will keep trying...


And my Doe Friend Tulip, paid a visit she is going into her 2nd summer. 



She has a malformed or healed injury to oft hindleg, but she has managed just fine, a little limp always but she can run jump and do anything the other deer can do.  And she is sooo lovely. She will probably have her first fawn next May...Because she does not appear to be with Fawn, but she could be.  Females chase away their male offspring after the spots are faded, but female fawns sometimes stay in a family group up to two years....Tulip was with 2 others on this day one was a young yearling female and an older doe, maybe that was her mother and sister. 

See ya next week! 

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

8 comments:

  1. Hello, Sondra
    It is great to see the birds returning. What a great variety of bird sightings, your photos are wonderful. I loved the Waterthrush video and song. Neat capture of the pair of Eagles. I am looking forward to see my hummers return. Love the sweet deer. Take care, have a happy Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thanks for your comment! Im happy to see some new faces in the area, most of the Migrants with a few exceptions don't visit my feeders but they do come in the yard for water and bugs...so I hope to see more of them. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sondra, all the birds now are in full colour , busy attracting mates. You have some very colourful birds there. Have a happy Easter weekend, all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, thank you so much for your comment, the birds are very busy and they waste no time getting on with it, either they are building a nest already on eggs or singing to attract a mate...even the crows are sitting closer on the branch than normal. Enjoy your Weekend.

      Delete
  3. Colors are very vid right now for mating how beautiful and to find the Bald Eagles is fantastic real beautiful. Have had a few new comers lately but they are gone way to fast.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, the influx of migrants can me overwhelming I got FOMO. The Bald Eagles were chattering up a storm I really need to use a tripod to stop the shaking of my videos, its just that its' Heavy! Hope your Easter is good, Im doing nothing and its supposed to rain, we are getting some rain today also...we need it tho it's been dry for 2 weeks. TC

      Delete
  4. Oh my! Thank you for sharing this wonderful variety of bird sightings, your photographs are all so lovely, you certainly have some colourful birds near you.

    Enjoy your weekend, happy Easter wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I am far enough South to get some colorful almost tropical species, just saw the most colorful bird we get yesterday...the Painted Bunting. Hope to share him next week. Enjoy the Holiday!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!