Friday, March 25, 2022

Possum's and Honey Bees


Getting out with my camera is my therapy so here goes...my "sessions this week" included:

First off I save a critter from a bad situation




Got himself in but couldn't get out...I tried the stick to see if he would climb out but he wanted no part of that so I got the can over on it's side and finally he wobbled out...



and took off...I think this is a run,  Poor old fellow he walked like me after I've been in one spot too long..


Then I took a walk around and I always find something if I look UP...
A Yellow Shafted Northern Flicker for instance...



Lots of rain lately so standing water in all the low spots..I wonder how many possums could be in that dumpster?  I should have checked.  The ranger told me he has asked for but not received wildlife proof cans...


This Red Headed Woodpecker was bringing food to a nesting cavity probably for the female who may be sitting on some eggs!


A Carolina Wren sings his little heart out..



Some big birds I happened upon one day...Turkey Vulture, looking very daper in his cloak of big wings... 


And some Wild Turkey...


There was a big flock but they dispersed into the trees so fast...I got the last ones just before they disappeared..


Then a group of riders...with a Cattle Dog...Ive never seen a more tightly bunched string of  horses...they were  nose to tail...When I was riding we were told always keep a horse length between you in case one decides to kick...something tells me these riders are not into any equation etiquette. 



this Common Yellowthroat was singing,  I got a  glimpse of him...




A good sized flock of Cedar Waxwing hit the yard on Monday..


got at stripping the seeds from the Cedar tree and took turns at the bird bath this was so fun to watch..



They are so acrobatic and skilled...they are great at hovering too..


A House Wren I was barely able to pick out of the tangles...he was hiding pretty good!!



But the chatter gave him away....

And some Honey Bee Action on the Red Clover...a sure sign that Spring has Sprung!




More and more we have violent weather!  Its getting to be down right scary...last week the wind was so strong it snapped 2 power poles and we lost our power for half a day...and then they had to turn it off another day to get one pole that was cracked replaced...Not much we can do at this point but cross our fingers!! WOW not feeling very safe with only crossed fingers protecting me from the Power of the Universe....lol 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Hello,
    You are so nice to help the Possum out of the trash bin. What a great outing, wonderful variety of bird sightings. I love the Flicker and Red-headed Woodpecker. I would love to see all those Waxwings at my bird bath. The Wren is a cutie. Yay for Spring, I hope your weather calms down. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I was excited to see the waxwings, they didn't visit all winter till March arrived...The ranger told me he had found one possum who didnt survive in one of those cans so he removed ALL BUT one, and I hope he can get a can that is better suited for the location and no more animals die as a result. I hope we have a long nice spring!! TC

      Delete
  2. Poor little critter, luckily you came by to rescue him/her. That was quite a flock of waxwings, sure would love to see even one! Yes this weather is really odd this winter. Weather not looking good for my departure day really nasty weather until Wed. well so be it I'll leave then. Only staying 2 or 3 nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo, sorry to hear your departure is delayed...but nasty weather is no fun to hunker down in. They waxwings were so fun to watch I sat out on the deck and watched them a long time. TC and enjoy your trip.

      Delete
  3. Your therapy helps us all I think! Well done on the rescue, poor little thing. I do love Waxwings we don't get them too often here so they're always good to see, especially so many, they are such beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, the Possum was so cute his little face says it all he seemed to be very happy to be released, the Ranger told me he has changed that can the morning before so it could have been in there 24 hrs!!

      Delete
  4. You deserve a superhero name -- saving wildlife all by yourself. I just saw a posting about how much good possums do for us -- they eat ticks for example. .. All your birds are great -- and waxwings are my all time super-favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, Anything that eats ticks is something we need for sure...And such a cute docile creature...I also think waxwings are a personal fav of mine as well..

      Delete
  5. Poor old Possum, apparently they love trash cans as a good food source. Asleast you were able to get him out.
    Back home now very weak and thin, but eating more. A
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Back Dave we missed you and do so hope you are on the road to feeling better, So very glad you are home and eating more. Now I find myself checking every trash can that is of that type. Im considering writing to the director of our Parks n Rec, if he sites Budget cost...I will point out there was money to make that ridiculous concrete walking circle for People, but nothing IN the budget for Wildlife??
      Do take care...you're comments are always appreciated and enjoyed by all of us.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!