Friday, February 25, 2022

ReBirth

Last week end I participated in the Great Backyard Birdcount.  It's something  you do on your own or with a friend and in any place you happen to be....so even a crusty hermitress like Me can do it!  I wanted to try out the new ebird tool called Trip Report,..even tho I have been lumping all my sightings together before it became cool...anyways now its cool by their standards, so I found it very useful...


Northern Cardinals mate for life

Canada Geese probably have eggs already. 

The White Tailed deer mate in the fall so I expect some of these does will be giving birth  starting in April and up to June...so soon I will be seeing the little spotted fawns hiding in the grass. 




I had deer visits in the field this week...




The Red-headed Woodpecker  is ready to get on with the nesting season! This one is checking out an old nesting cavity...


These birds do have some bad habits, they will destroy other birds eggs and even destroy the eggs of cavity nesting Ducks...they are extremely territorial...the Male selects the nesting site, either an old one that they are returning to, or they will build a new nest.  They work on making the nest home together, and lay 3 - 10 pure white eggs and may have 1 to 2 broods.  They incubate for 12 - 14 days and the nesting period is 24 - 31 days! 


The call is a fast repeating chattering, and they have a high pitched shrill  one note call similar to a Northern Flicker.   This one does some chatter vocalizing in the video


The birds are very striking with Royal Red Heads, all the way down to the shoulders, a black back with  broad white wing patches and a white chest.  The large white wing patches makes it pretty easy to ID as it's flying and landing on tree trunks or branches...


So nest season is upon us Depending on where you are of course....take my sisters for example are  still getting SNOW...lol
 
Lil Sis,  had a remarkable sighting on her birdcount search and she graciously shared it with Me and US...she saw a little bump in a tree while driving and turned around and went back and this is what she found...


THE NORTHERN PYGMY OWL..

The N. Pygmy hunts by day and will take small birds even hummingbirds! When it's time for nesting they never create a nest cavity they find one already made, the Male will sit by the hole entrance and make some "Hoots" to attract a mate.  They stay together for that mating season.  They lay 2 - 7 glossy white eggs.  The are non migratory but move to lower elevations in Winter and back upslope in Spring.  


It's a small compact owl with NO ear tufts, a spotted head,  feathers come in  grey and red morph coloration...with yellow eyes and yellow beak. 

Lifer for her!!! Great find and awesome photos as well...good work Sis!  Thank you for sharing this great bird with all of us here and contributing to the blog content.

  Can't wait to see one myself!!

Spring season is a very important time of year for the continuance of  Species on Earth. 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Spring is a great time of the year. Congrats to your Sis on her Northern Pygmy Owl sighting, it is beautiful. I love the Red-headed Woodpecker, it is a beauty too. Pretty captures of the Cardinals and the deer. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I was so happy for my sis to see such a wonderful OWL! I hope that ice and stuff missed you and you are getting ready for a good weekend!

      Delete
  2. That Owl Is Magnificent - Amazing Capture There My Friend - Big Hugs

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, thank you Travis, my sis did a fab job with that photo...I tried to hear your show last night And due to the time difference, I was fast asleep on the couch woke up at 10:30 and realized I messed up! I will catch the replay tho.

      Delete
  3. It is going to get very exciting around your place soon. You have some great shots already, the deer are gorgeous and what a beautiful pair of cardinals. Your sis sure got lucky on her adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I know I was in awe of that OWL..and she is headed to Southern Calif for a week of birding and adventure! IM jelly! Hope your weekend is going good!!

      Delete
  4. The Owl is too beautiful. Spring is coming and we will have the opportunity to see many birds more.
    However not only some birds have bad habits but the humans too. Here people are pruning the trees just in the season when the birds nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stefano, I know exactly what you mean, some people are not in tuned or in sync with nature and they have no clue as how taking away habitat during nesting season is such a huge loss to birds. Hope the rest of your weekend is good.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, I am appalled -- I say appalled -- to learn of the bad habits of the red-headed woodpecker, which until now has been one of my favorite birds. (Seriously, I am glad you shared your knowledge, I'm always happy to learn more.) You saw a lot of birds, what a wonderful day. And I think I could easily become a hermitress especially these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sallie, yeah I was a bit taken back to learn that about the redheads..I know they are quite aggressive about chasing each other around...I guess they figure it's less competition for food if less chicks are being hatched.

      Delete
  6. Who doesn't like an Owl, what a great spot for your sister! Interesting to read about the Woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, Thank you I hope your spring is off to a good start even tho it's not official ours is always a little early.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!