Friday, March 4, 2022

March Madness?

I have a lot of  clean winter up I need to be doing but I just keep going out and checking the trees for birds instead.  Tomorrow I may try to get a start on it.

Saturday of last week I finally made it to Sandhills.  I spent the majority of my time at Lake Bee Picnic Area where the lake has just been refilled a few months back and the little wetland  the water flows through on it's way out of the lake is open to the public again. 


OUT of all the habitat types I love wetlands the most! Because the diversity is unmatched!



The other end  has a highway running thru it so that is a huge negative, but it still has great potential.   I ran into several Swamp Sparrow...



You can just see the road that crosses this wetland...Once the trees green up the critters will have more cover and privacy.  Fortunately after the water passes under the highway it goes into the Wildlife Refuge where it flows into another small pond.,,and then it goes on and flows into what they call Pool D, 



Up by the picnic area are very tall Long Leaf Pine, and I found three of the rare Red Cockaded Woodpeckers,  pecking away and getting bugs out from under the bark. The males do have a little red spot on the top of the head which is rarely seen...


Glad to know the numbers are increasing all over our state...Thanks to some proper forestry management.   They nest in mature long leaf pine. 

On the way out of the Park I stopped at Pool D another of my favorite spots, and glad I stopped there I found a River Otter.  


He hissed at me....

Sunday it rained all day...so I did some window birding...A couple of the large Pileated Woodpeckers burrowed into the bark in the big pine in the frontyard...


Cousin to the Ivory Billed Woodpecker that is thought to be extinct now...there is some controversary about that.  If you ever see one of these with BIG white Wing patches, and a white bill, you have seen a bird thought to be extinct.  

And a Golden Crowned Kinglet was  soaked by the rain...but still managed to throw up his golden crown..


Monday was blue and pretty again and a flock of Cedar Waxwing came into the yard...they are amazing to watch..

These are the first I've seen in a long time!


 later I checked a couple of nearby Hotspots...Bluebirds are ready to get their families started...they make good use of the picnic tables At Goodale State Park,  to perch on while looking for insects.  



And the Yellow Rump Warbler (Myrtle variety) is a bird I will  see many times this breeding season...they are such great insect hunters! Here he tries very hard to blend in with this fading piece of mistletoe..


After that stop I headed to Bramblewood with some take out! I don't normal partake but I was starved so I got some junk food...sat n my van out of the wind and gobbled it up then checked out what was going on...The Geese are staking out good spots...


Tuesday I stayed home....got busy picking up lots of  sticks and such in the back which is a  wooded area, sort of the dogs play area,  I try to keep it picked up of all the big stuff...I don't mind the cones on the ground but sticks they can get tangled up in I try to keep picked up...So while I was in the yard I spotted the first Purple Finch of the year on the feeder.   



She had me wondering for a while if she could be a Rose Breasted Grosbeak, which sometimes do stop by but I couldn't pin it down and went with the safe bet, the reason I questioned  it at all was in one shot I got she had a yellow tinge to her throat.  I cropped this so the yellow can be seen...she has a sunflower seed in her beak...so looks a little weird, 

 either way she is a stunning bird. 

Wednesday I combined some chores with some birding...I had to empty my trailer of the sticks and such so I stopped at the recycle center to do that...
I decided to take up a challenge given by a Youtube channel I follow called Badgerland Birding.   Its a March Madness challenge and they tossed out 3 species for us to find...each participant is entered to win a prize, we don't know nor do we care what the prize is, we just love the challenge...SO in my region the 3 birds I have to find are the Song Sparrow, an Eastern Meadowlark, and a Northern Shoveler.  

I found my Song Sparrow right away...at Bramblewood ponds,..I have had better shots of a Song Sparrow but this is THE one I found for the challenge...


I had only just heard a Meadowlark on March 1st.  The challenge is to see or hear each bird beginning March 1st at 12 am to March 31st Midnight...so technically I got the Meadowlark...but I really want to SEE it as well.   I didn't hear about the challenge till that night of the 1st when I watched the video...so I just heard an Eastern Meadowlark singing and  marked it down on an accidental birding list when I dropped off the first load of trailer limbs on Tuesday...morning.  So according to the rules I did get it...BUT Im trying to see and photo one if possible and I have plenty o time to get it done.  

While looking I found a bird I don't see too often An English House Sparrow..


Seems they are nest building up in this piece of electrical equipment


I hope this was a good choice for them...

Also found another European bird, the Starling.  They are nest building up in the belly of this F- 4C Phantom Fighter Jet from the Vietnam era on display at our small air field..


Rocket bird!

On the day I was looking for the Meadowlarks, I didn't see one...I checked another spot where I normally find them but didn't see any there either-- saw a ton of Brown Headed Cowbird instead...


Such a lovely bird! So here it is Friday and I have more yard work to do it's supposed to be windy today so a good day to tackle more stick pick ups...and we'll see what the weekend holds for me, come my next post...HOPE all of you are happy n healthy and ready to enjoy the Month of March...madness and all..


Russia PLEASE  just stop!!




PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    What a great post, I love all your beautiful birds and photos. The otter is cute. The March challenge sounds like fun. Is the Red-cockaded woodpecker listed as endangered? Happy birding. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, thanks so much for your comment, yes the Red Cockaded has been on the endangered species list for over 30 years...it goes to show when Humans TRY to make a difference they are successful. I hope you also have a good weekend...it's getting warm fast. I knee deep in property clean up today.

      Delete
  2. You had a great week for finding birds! Loved the otter they are my favorite little guys of the waters. Hope one day someone spots the Ivory Billed Woodpecker so we know they may make a come back!
    Have another great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, It's always a treat to run into an otter in the wilds...they have such character...I hoped there would be some cloning going on if they could do it to bring back the ivory billed! Enjoy the rest of the weekend..

      Delete
  3. Hello
    Thanks for the great pictures and blog. Every week now I'm looking forward to read your blog. I'm sure Marsha is keeping you up on our trip. If you get a chance look at some of the pictures I shot. Got one of a black throated sparrow ( 1 of my favorite birds) and a black tailed gnat catcher.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI ROBERT! Im glad you are enjoying the blog, it's a fun way to share the small bits of my life with others since Im pretty cut off from society. I have been enjoying your checklists and photos, the gnatcatcher shot was awesome, I have to go take a peek at the Black Throated. I also think they are an amazing looking bird. Safe travels!!

      Delete
  4. Best luck on the challenge -- what fun! I love cedar waxwings and they really are my sparkbird -- our son (the Colorado one) and I spent a long-ago Saturday window-watching a flock of them that landed in our holly tree -- they would feed each other berries. It was wonderful. I took a birding class shortly after that and started keeping feeders in our yard as a result. (Obviously I've forgotten much of what I learned in the class, but I will never forget that afternoon with the Waxwings.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, thank you for sharing that wonderful memory...Its something you never forget I agree...Those young guys on the Badgerland Birding are brothers and they are so sharp when it comes to birds. Im like you and forgetting more than Im learning these days...Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  5. You've seen some gorgeous birds, it's odd to see the House Sparrow in amongst them all! I would be ecstatic to see an Otter, they're not so common here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam I appreciate your comment, I normally only see the House Sparrow when Im in a more urban setting so I was surprised to see them nesting in a more rural environment around the airport. Hope your week is a good one.

      Delete
  6. All are lovely birds, especially the bluebirds.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, I've been hearing a lot of Bluebird song lately...it's very distinct and easy to recognize although it's not necessarily a pretty song, it reminds me of someone tuning a violin.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!