Friday, February 4, 2022

Ye' Old Towne

This week started with another snow event. AND it was really cold!


Spring wants to happen!!


I made my way on the warmest day to the area I call Bramblewood, 
the first bridge was washed away by floods...in 1831 and in 1835 the first Steamboat made it's way up the river from Charleston here in the Wateree River.  When the bridge washed they started a ferry service right out there...




And on this day a Belted Kingfisher was resting...



There was three  eastern Bluebirds, seems they are getting ready for nesting.  


And from the back...



I was happy to see a Palm Warbler there,,


And a sneaky Great Egret


And another visitor that I haven't seen as much of this winter is the Yellow Rumped Warbler This one really showed off his yellow patch. 


Birds as a whole have been steeply declined in my area all winter.  I am alarmed that next winter I may see NO BIRDS...how did we come to this?? The only way to understand where we are is to look back and so....

More on the History of Camden: Colonel Joseph Kershaw

The town name changed from  the backcountry settlement of Fredericksburg, to Pine Tree Hill,  and finally to Camden in 1768  in honor of Lord Camden a champion of Colonial Rights.  Joseph Kershaw our founding father,  was born in Yorkshire England,  immigrated to  Charles Towne  in the 1750's with this brothers Ely and William.  Two brothers moved north to this area and  fought for Independence from Britain,  but William  lived out  his years in Charleston as a Loyalist. 

This Bronze stands in one of the Public Squares...



This is Joseph Kershaw (r) with our Patron Saint 
King Haigler, (1700-1763) King of the Catawba tribe.  Kershaw helped broker peace with the tribe to ensure safe passage of whites using the Tribal path moving  the goods to and from the Interior to the Port at Charleston.  Early crops traded were Rice and Indigo!
Indigo for the Royal Blue


The old Opera House and clock tower had a weathervane installed on top in 1826 representing 
King Haigler this is not the original, it's in the City Archives building. This likeness is sort of our town Mascot. 

 Both Joseph and Ely were captured at the battle of Camden and shipped to a Prison of War camp in British Honduras.  Unfortunately Ely died enroute to Bermuda  in 1780 of dysentery at age 38 and was buried there.  While imprisoned Kershaw mortgaged his properties back in South Carolina to raise money for a ship of supplies to be sent to help the Patriots regain lost ground but it was sunk by the British before it arrived.  His son John Kershaw  spent many years selling off his estate to pay off these debts.  Col Joseph  tried to recoup some of his losses, but he was told by the Governor who he wrote to, "sorry you gave of your own free will."   

The Original Courthouse (1826) is now a Welcome Center for Tourists

 Kershaw passed away December 28th, 1791 and is buried about one block from this Courthouse,   in this enclosure with other members of his family.  This land was donated by Kershaw  to the Episcopal Church. 
  Kershaw County was named in his honor that same year,  he had given practically all he had to the cause.



The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution plaque 

Joseph Kershaw's Burial place 


 An early  Platt showing the names of the Streets and purposed locations of key Town Centers at the time of Kershaw's death in 1791 the cemetery enclosure is located at or near the Letter C.  Now a days the Episcopal church is on the corner of Lyttleton and Laurens streets.   Generations of Kershaws are buried in the old Quaker Cemetery. 

  

I go to the Battle Field area to walk, have biked there and to check out birds...It will undergo a facelift and become a real Historic Landmark.  





Baron DeKalb mentioned in my last post a, German who came here to fight for the cause of the Colony and was wounded at the Battle of Camden died of his wounds and was buried by the Old Oak back on Joseph Kershaws land in town, and was later moved to more prominent resting place in front of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church 


That's the Baron's tomb in front....this building has a dirty secret I will discuss maybe next week?  There is at the very least two sides to every story. 




Most of our  street names are still the same as the original platt of 1791...this is one of our major arteries named for DeKalb at least in the city limits.  I will highlight other streets named for characters from the past history...I hope you find taking a close look at my town and how it came to be interesting. I have some ideas for my next post to recognize Black History Month. 


Fresh n hot.....YUM!!

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

18 comments:

  1. I have the same concern about birds as you do. Here, every year, in spring, fewer and fewer swallows arrive. It is a pleasure to see them fly over our heads and hear their "screams".
    I worry because I am afraid that in the near future I will not be able to see anymore them over us.
    Thanks for sharing the interesting story of Camden. Very beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so kindly Im doing a little focus on some history. I am very discouraged with bird populations as a whole and I am hearing and reading from areas all over the world that birds are in a steep decline. Even species that were on the uptick such as Woodpecker species due to the increase in the Pine Beetle, now declining again. It happened what seems to be suddenly but I think its been right in front of us for a long time.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of the decline in the birds in your area. I also think that with this crazy weather changes it might have a lot to do with it also. This started out to be a mild winter but we are now in the throughs of really cold weather. I try to keep my beloved hummers well fed and bring out warmer feeders in the morning. I notice they are really coming around more frequently to drink in this very cold weather. I will put up a 2nd feeder tomorrow morning.
    Hope your weather warms up a bit so you can go out more often.
    Like your historic posts very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I know the history bits are a detour of my norm but with the cold weather we had 3 weeks of way below temps I can photo from the warm van! And I was doing some research and it sparked some investigations. Im happy you are taking such great care of your winter hummers it must be very hard for them more and more I am hearing stories of hummers who don't migrate...I imagine there is a reason they are not making the trip. I finally had about 5 goldfinch show up and normally I would have 3 times that many or more.
      Stay warm and enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
    2. We have two breeds of hummers that do not migrate Anna's and Costa's. Spotted one today that has a very tiny bit of red on his chin so I guess he was a late hatch. I need to remember to take my phone out with me.

      Delete
    3. Thats amazing I did not know that! I have yet to see Costa's!! I did see a lot of hummers in AZ that I could not ID they just move so fast, so I'd like to see a Costa's.

      Delete
  3. A lovely post Sondra thanks. Its good to read this history of your area and also to see pictures of Camden.
    Its a shame your bird population is declining especially as you're in a rural environment where you would think they would thrive. Do you think it's down to a change in the farming methods and the use of insecticides. There are schemes here to encourage farmers to become more wildlife friendly by leaving hedges grow and have uncultivated borders around their fields. There have been some good results for all.
    We have been lucky so far in not having snow, so keep safe and warm. Enjoy that bread. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, thank you for the comment and it brings to mind "all of the above" meaning I really don't know the exact reason but when you toss all the Man Made Problems in the hat I do believe that is the reason Habitat Loss, Farming methods, Water pollution, climate change. As Eileen said Bird Flu, so I think it's a toxic time for birds as a whole. Im planning one more post on history to highlight Black History in our area. I find history fascinating as it really is a crystal ball to the future.

      Delete
  4. Hello Sondra,
    Love your bird images. I was thinking the same thing, I have been seeing less birds. I thought the bird flu could be the reason. It is interesting to read the town's history and see the sights. Your bread looks yummy! Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I have not been seeing any sick birds just many less birds even birds that don't visit the feeder are just not showing up as they normally do...Im very concerned. Thank you for your visit and have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  5. I did enjoy seeing your bird photographs, although it is concerning to read about the decline in the birds in your area.

    Your bread certainly looks delicious.

    Enjoy your weekend, and have a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jan, the bread is one of those easy bake things I was trying it was really good, but I want to learn how to bake from scratch...Baking is not one of my wheel house talents!

      Delete
  6. You gave a very interesting review of your town's history! Did you grow up in that area or are you a transplant? (I know you've spent time in the "really really Big" City, but now I either don't know or have forgotten if you returned from there to SC or ?? . Anyway so full of history and again, I may have told you before, it is awesome to me to see the places where those Revolution battles took place and how they don't seem nearly large enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, no I am not from here...Im from TN! The Appalachian Mountains. I have one more highlight of Black History then off my history kick for a while we had 3 horribly cold weeks back to back and I just didn't get out and do any nature walks but I did take a few drives...so I was reminded of all the layers of history surrounding us here.

      Delete
  7. As Always, Powerfully Captured - Well Done

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another Yorkshire man coming over and founding a town, just like i've discovered in my family history, it's definitely interesting to read!

    It's disturbing though to read about the lack of birds I hope it doesn't get to the point where you're not seeing any at all :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam, I honestly believe many birds did not migrate their normal patterns this year...We had a cold winter and a very mild fall...My Peach tree bloomed in December...so this could be affecting the food chain for birds.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!