Friday, February 18, 2022

February is half over?

My week has seemed slow but I've been busy every single day...The weather has been pretty good also....Spring has arrived here for sure.  




The grass has not greened up yet, and there is plenty of yard clean up left to do but.....it's not going anywhere my winter crops are growing...I hope to harvest some broccoli soon..


On Monday  I went to  Lake Paul Wallace, about an hrs drive away to see some ducks...


Some distant Bufflehead...

all in a line

On that particular day there was a cold wind in play and it made things a little uncomfortable for me and the ducks, most were off by the distant shores avoiding the open water to stay out of the wind.  A few sailed close by on their way to someplace else..

American Coot  


This Pied Billed Grebe is all puffed up to stay warm...



This Ruddy Duck (f) looks rather drab in winter colors, 


A Ring Billed Gull came out of the water to warm up in the sun...



There was lots of other ducks I got no good shots of but I sure enjoyed seeing them go about their life..

One day I ran into about 10,000 black birds..So fun to watch...




And a quick stop at the vernal pool I stake out sometimes, I found a Merlin, a small Raptor..(far away this is cropped heavy) so the vernal pool racked up another species...45 up to now.


 
FAR away...

And a  zoom...



The Red Bellied Woodpecker...was at the cemetery.




And a look at a Savannah Sparrow from the back...he was at the area I used to call the Beaverdam...since they killed the beaver most of the pond drained and now it's only a polluted mess SO SAD...



SAD!



A Blue Jay came out in the open,..



This little Pine Warbler was flipping hickory nut shells over to see what he could find to eat. 




On the Plastic front...

I am trying very hard to reduce the plastic packaging I bring into my life...IT has not been easy.  Even when you buy something in a cardboard box, many times it has a Plastic inner package!  What happened to just good old wax paper?  And some products you can NOT find an alternative.  I bought powdered laundry detergent in a cardboard box.  When I opened it up there was a Plastic Scoop inside!!!

I got so angry about that...BUT I have cut my plastic bring home in half!! NOW just to work on the other half.  I found in come cases if I buy a larger quantity I can at least cut down on how many containers I bring home but in this one case, like Bird Seed, for instance. I thought I will just buy the bigger size, but bigger size means bigger bag so I didn't really make the right choice.  Im going to start emailing the companies.  I mean they are responsible for the Complete product they put out...Why should their packaging become MY PROBLEM? 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

18 comments:

  1. Sondra, I agree with you about the unnecessary plastic, I think a lot of it is down to supermarkets and also the way we shop, just pick it up from the display and then pay. I can remember the pre supermarket era where you bought something and it was cut and wrapped in paper by the shop, we will never go back to those days. However nearly all supermarkets here now have receptacles for customers to recycle the packaging.
    The Merlin was a good spot. Did you see the video clip where all those blackbirds just died fell out of the sky.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave hope that storm doesn't get you!! Unfortunately the area I live in is so Backwards when it comes to progressive thinking the recycle center we have it a huge joke! I did not see the Black Birds falling from the sky, that sounds pretty awful...I will have to google it up see what happened...Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. Sondra,
    It is great you are doing your part to reduce plastic in the world. Great captures of the ducks and Merlin, love the Grebe and Coot. The Pine Warbler is a beauty. Take care, have a good day and a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I don't understand what these companies are thinking with all this plastic? How can the leaders of the world say they will hold temperature rise to 1.5 Degrees when they can't even solve the problem of Plastics? I agree with Gretta, they "pretend" to be doing something but in reality they are not. Are you participating in the Backyard Bird count this weekend? I plan to do some birding...Have an excellent weekend.

      Delete
  3. The flowers are so pretty and you veggie garden produced some wonderful eating for you. As for weather it is still horrible here it was 28 this morning. I loved that you were able to get out and take some photos WOW all those black birds!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I was so shocked by that huge flock, the video only shows half of it the other have was on the opposite side of the road...I enjoy having some things growing It's something I really enjoy doing. MY weather seems to be settled at the moment, Im hoping our UK friends will survive Unice!! Have a great weekend...

      Delete
  4. A lot of wonderful birds, thanks for sharing the photos.
    Beautiful video of the black birds, here flocks of black birds usually arrive in April and live on the trees along the promenade.
    Plastic is a problem not easy to solve but we must succeed in protecting the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stefano, Huge flocks such as this one are amazing to watch and the sound of them all is amazing! So much of the plastic ends up in the wrong place...I wish the companies would just stop creating it...there are other alternatives. Have a good weekend!!

      Delete
  5. I love your birds! That vernal pool is definitely a certain-sighting place for you!
    Years ago, we spent a winter/Spring in Port Aransas TX which is a major migration path. I talked to a long-time birder who told me that it used to get dark during the day sometimes because there were so many migrating songbirds flying overhead.... blackbirds must be about the only bird that comes close to that nowadays sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I hope the backyard bird count will give me some hope that birds are still there just going to different places...we have not made it easy for them with the way we have occupied the Planet. And to your PS...

      Delete
  6. PS: We have been using the TruEarth Eco-strips for laundry. They seem to work fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look into the Eco Strips and they are a bit pricey but when I finally use up what I have on hand I think I will give it a try! Have a great week!!

      Delete
  7. Happy Happy Birds - Fabulous Photos My Friend - Sending Positive Vibes

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vibes Travis, can't get too much of that for sure.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, that's quite a flock of birds! I'm glad your weather has improved, it's lovely to see the birds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam that flock was amazing to see and to hear. I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. So pleased your weather is improving.
    Always a joy to see daffodils ...
    Wow! That is a lot of birds in the video.

    Enjoy these last days of February, the month seems to have passed by very quickly.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, time as a whole seems to have sped up...the daffodils def make life brighter!! And I saw some bumble bees out gathering pollen! Hope your weekend is good!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!