Friday, March 11, 2022

Santee Bluff


My week started on Sunday.  I tossed back n forth the idea of going to some birding hotspots and in the end decided to go to Santee Bluff Unit.. this is a photo from a different trip I forgot to snap a photo of the sign






The Visitors Center sits on the shore of Lake Marion, it's currently closed...and has been since the era of Covid, since it was always staffed by volunteers....
 I was amazed at how many Double Crested Cormorants were in the water...


  
A feeding freenzy - and in the mix the  huge American White Pelican



 I saw something just as thrilling to me, the Purple Martins! 3 were buzzing around the Martin Housing



You are not allowed to drive to the birding area where I wanted to go so it's a hike..


But there is plenty to see along the way....like this Northern Flicker..






And then once out of the woods trail you enter the big open space of the fields where a pair of Red Shouldered Hawks were screaming as the circled overhead...



 Finally I arrive at the ponds are about a  mile walk from the woods trail...






along the way I get a look at one of the March Madness Challenge birds, the Eastern Meadowlark...



The first pond I call the Coot pond, 


And there's normally some Common Gallinule also...



I wanted to make this visit while some wintering ducks are still here...They were, but very distant so close up looks did not happen.   However it was a nice day high 70's with drifting clouds...and a light breeze that sometimes gusted...it's not exactly greened up yet but soon it will be.



The  ducks were unsettled and kept taking to the air...mostly Green Winged Teal...but also present was Blue Winged Teal, Ring Necked Duck and a few Shoveler.

Green Winged Teal


a pair settles  in the back

Blue Winged Teal





Ring Necked Duck






I was happy to find about 7 Northern Shoveler the last  of the  March Madness Challenge birds, and this one got semi close enough for a photo..



Also is the Ring Necked Duck in the back and in the middle the lone Ruddy Duck I saw...

The Shoveler had a female with him...(center)


This tree is the heron nesting tree..



And each nest was occupied..


Great Blue Heron well hidden on the nest. 

There was only one Pied Billed Grebe in the mix. 



On the way back to the Van, I noticed all these Yellow Jasmine flowers on the ground they have grown up the trees and bloomed up in the canopy..


And for your viewing pleasure...a short video of the Cormorants and Pelicans...
the sharp call you hear is the Purple Martin I was standing nearby him..



------------

op ed 
What is wrong with a world where we stand by and watch innocent people be murdered just to appease the ego of a maniac?  


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Santee NWR looks like a great place to bird, the scenery is pretty and great bird sightings. I love the Meadowlark. That is a lot of Cormorants, the Pelicans are a favorite. Wonderful variety of ducks. It is amazing the tall Herons can fit on those nest. Take care, have a happy day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, Santee is a special place Im so happy its been protected at least some parts of it are, the lake is HUGE! I had no idea how many cormorants where there way too many to even estimate.. Hope your weekend is good. Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Your so lucky to have these great parks near you with so many beautiful birds all around. There were lots of cormorants wow, always liked them up in the mountain lakes. I really need to find a place near me with a nice lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I would love it to be closer, but an hr and 15 mins is not too bad a drive and this time I went all farm 2 lane roads and skipped I-95...and it was the same amount of time to get there. I had no good guess really as to how MANY cormorants was there the way they keep moving and diving it's impossible to guess even. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Let me know when you figure out the answer to the question in your Oped, because I wonder too..... what a beautiful place to bird and well worth the hike (I think we could even do that it especially in temperatures like you had that day.) Your ID skills on the ducks is mind-boggling for me -- especially when you probably were seeing most of them only through your binos probably?? I have never seen that many cormorants at once, wow. On the Oregon Coast we used to see what we thought were big groups of them, and in fact they had destroyed a lot of the coastal trees in one place where we used to camp. (with their poo, not with weapons LOL). Is that a problem anywhere else? ... Pelicans really do look like giants when you see them with other birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sallie, the minds of vicious people like Putin is one thing but to have the world tremble in the shoes is another....Good thing I have no codes in my possession. I am def an eye for an eye type personality. IS this not a Holocaust? I don't know of any tree damage caused by the birds but one has to imagine when they roost at night there is a lot left behind!

      Delete
  4. That looks a great place to visit with lots to see.
    I enjoyed your photographs and video.

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan! This is a special place Im so happy some parts of it have been protected by making it a refuge...we don't get to go down near the ponds in winter so I always enjoy a trip there in the spring. Enjoy the week.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I don't think i've ever seen so many Cormorants in one place, what a sight! The Purple Martin is lovely, i'm looking forward to our House / Sand Martins coming back, they're good signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam thank you for your visit and comment, the Martin is such a lovely bird I always think there is no such thing as a black bird, the colors they show are amazing and their appearance does mean spring! I had never seen so many cormorants either...I wondered what fish they were after as they moved all over the lake that day!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!