Friday, December 17, 2021

Winter Solstice Approaching...


We had a sweet visitor early this morning before I made coffee I was at the window snapping this photo, its not Tulip but one of her friends 


She was so close to the fence 
This morning it's a little hazy as we have rain arriving on the weekend so the clouds are 
forming. 

earlier in the week it was very sunny and cold...



The crisp air makes for better photos with highlights and sparkle..

And some wonderful blue sky...

I actually sneaked up on this guy...when I first approached he was enjoying the view....



Then he heard me, 


And I guess he thought WHAT the heck...can't a bird get some peace n quiet anymore?


Then in true Mockingbird form he put his tail up and looked me right in the eye...





This is something I really enjoy interaction between myself and a wild creature who responds!  He stuck around only a couple minutes then off into the Brambles...


I stopped at Goodale park, it was soooo  dead but one Song Sparrow answered my phishing



Since they cut the trees  away from the one area by the lakeshore more of the Pitcher Plants have grown in, I guess that is a good thing, unless  you're a bug...
they are a pretty red color then they die back for the winter...



I made a stop at Quaker Cemetery A very old burying ground...


 it's been a long time since I stopped by here I knew they were building something behind it BUT why did they clear off so many trees?? LAZY contractors, they built cookie cutter housing right where it used to be  woods,  that area was part of Bramblewood...a very special place. 


I did find some seasonal  color and some birds...


At least the cemetery is securing  some green space 


Hope it stays that way...


 there's so many different types of trees all mature and providing food for birds...like this Cedar 

Over in the thick stuff near the edges of the cemetery I saw White Throated Sparrow and Easter Towhee, Dark Eyed Junco...



 ...but then I heard a crisp call from the Crepe Myrtle 



A Blue Headed Vireo, 



There has been a lot of growth in our town the past couple of years not sure I'm onboard with it..


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    There are pro's and cons to new growth in your town, I see it around my area. My are moving away from the city. You are seeing some great birds there in the winter, it is a little slow here. I always love seeing the sweet deer. Great shots of the Kestrel, Mockingbirds and the Sparrows. The Blue-headed Vireo is a favorite. Take care, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, the growth here is county wide, seems every nook has a new building going up either apartments or single family homes on acreage. I was happy to see the BH Vireo normally I don't see them this time of year. Have a great Friday.

      Delete
  2. The growth here is terrible also, what used to be wide open spaces are no more one ugly cookie cutter development after another yet the taxes rise like crazy. But at least you are still finding beautiful birds and plants to photograph.
    Pretty chilly here but I'm loving it.
    Take care and have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, Thank you...and by the standards of your area what I have here is not even close, but its so different from how it was I just don't feel connected to this community anymore. Our weather is up and down cold then hot then rain then clear, I have to pull out from heavy to light weight clothes. Never know what to wear.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sondra, Nice to have the deer visit. You managed to find some colour too , its always around but some people just dont bother having a good look. There's development going on in our village too, nothing stays the same. I will email you and let you know my latest news. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI DAVE, so nice to see you back hope you are feeling very well...I was about to get worried!! Look forward to your update.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful birds -- so many! Your pictures really are so good. Thank you for identifying my blue-gray gnatcatcher! I am adding the info to my blog. I will be back to read more carefully and catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, thanks so much. Im glad you are all settled in FL for the Holidays I always enjoy seeing what you find down there. HH

      Delete
  5. It's always lovely to see the deer and the photos of the Mockingbird are great. Cemetery's are always good for birding, not so good when they stick in the boxy housing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I always find good birds at the edges of the cemeteries, they have mature trees and some undisturbed space around normally, I was in shock to see how quickly these Units were built. Happy Solstice to you.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to have the deer visit, that is a sweet photograph.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jan, thank you hope your holiday is memorable.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!