Friday, December 31, 2021

2022 What Kind of Year will it be?

Monday there was an 3.3 Earthquake in our area...and that is the 10th quake we have had since Nov of this year...this epicenter was about 18 miles away from my house....In 1886 in the month of August a Quake destroyed Charleston, SC and killed 60 people.  They estimate it was a 6.9-7.3 in strength....the shock wave was felt as far away as Boston, Mass. 




I want to do a time lapse something I haven't tried yet, so soon I want to make one.

Tonight we have a red sky...and it seems peaceful.  I have felt quakes before and it normally sounds and feels like a big truck going by and vibrating the house...I did not feel the one today as I had just arrived at home from a day out and about but I had been much closer to the epi center earlier in the day by the river...

Anyways...one never knows what Mother nature has in store for us.  



Here's our State Bird, the Carolina Wren. My New Yrs Resolution is to use less plastic packaging in the future...starting NOW...I use as little as possible but there is a lot of room for improvement..


Like buying my vegs in bulk that is not prepackaged...BUT don't reach for that thin film...some stores recycle it but most don't bring your own paper "lunch" bag to put your fresh produce in...and if it's gonna be something heavy get some Paper grocery bags at the entrance to the store or bring your own to reuse from home.  AND do reuse your shopping bags or bring your own..


The bulk laundry det. in plastic jugs,...or those pops in plastic wrap just don't buy it you can still buy detergent in a cardboard box...that is bio-degradable, and sustainable,  and most of the time recyclable. You can premix in water to be sure its dissolved prior to adding it to the tub of your washer....AND there's other alternatives online the little sheet that you simply toss in very little packaging involved but it's pricey.  

...a young Buck was hanging out behind the fence on Christmas Day...


This  really fine White Throated Sparrow paused from his work of seed picking...


 ...and a Golden Crowned Kinglet showed off his gold crest but moved...

I have enjoyed the ease of the steam in the bag, but Im not doing that anymore...I will buy fresh and steam it the old fashioned way....
Some products I eat like Veggie Sausage comes  in those NOT recyclable zip top bags, I plan to phase that out and find my own recipe for making my own veggie sausage veggie burgers, etc.  



the Kinglet liked the sound of my camera as it tried to focus on him...


Lake Bee has been closed for over a year so they finally opened it back up and put in a brand new deck. They put in a new dam overflow, made repairs to the earthen dam, repaired the shoreline, and tore down the old deck.   The old deck was made of that composite stuff it did NOT hold up....and they closed it for a year before giving up on it....

I was glad to see the area open again I was able to walk back to the wetland where there is/was a small beaver dam...I want to stop in the HQ one day and ask about their policy on Beaver, because I see signs of beaver, 
 then I see signs of disturbance of their dams also....



Are they welcomed or not is my question? 


We had a wide variety of weather events this week and today it's raining, I saw this Red Shouldered Hawk in one of the trees so snapped this window shot...he didn't sit long, by the time I jockeyed for a better look he was gone...



I hope everyone has a peaceful New Years Eve and Day.
2022,  sounds like it came out of a Sci-Fi story but it's for real.  Sometimes it feels like we are living in a sci-fi story, if only we could see into the future.
We can plan, we can prepare, we can try, and we can do our very best and at the end of the day we have to accept the reality of the choices we make across the board. 

Happy New Year and may we each have Many More!



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Using less plastic can only be good. We are lucky in that the council and the supermarkets recycle all types of plastic and packaging but why do retailers use it in the first place, when there is no need. There are many ways in which the plastic can be recycled and made into other products, there are lots of vids on YouTube, it just doesn't seem to be done on a large scale. In some African countries they melt the plastic add sand and have made paving slabs and roof tiles. They will probably last forever.

    Lets hope you dont have anymore earth tremors thats scary.

    Heres wishing you a Happy New Year Sondra, all the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave Thank you so much for another year of friendship. I agree with your ideas on why there is a failure from the manufacturing to the selling of items to address the issue of plastic pollution. To me, the soda industry should go back to the glass bottles where you must return your empties...If I was in charge *haha* I would make it mandatory that where that plastic originates MUST also recycle it. We have gone backwards with our So called "technology". I wish you a very Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    The earthquakes are a scary feeling, I have felt my house shaking once. It did feel like a big farm vehicle was driving down my street. Another time I was at work and our building was swaying, that time I think a monument in DC were damaged. It would be nice if all plastic were recyclable like Dave said above, there are so many products they could make. People need to learn how to throw away their trash, it is sad to see all the face masks on the ground. Love your sweet Wren and the Golden Crowned Kinglet. I wish you all the best in 2022, a very happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, I have appreciated your comments all year long and look forward to another year of adventures thru blogging! So many of the problems the environment face are easily fixed by determination of us as individuals...but I feel that Corporate greed has no place in it's boardrooms for the environment. SO Much of the plastic being made is unrecyclable, I heard 75% of what we put in the recycle bins is tossed out because it can't be recycled. UGHHH
      SO its up to us...I hope your New Year gets off to a great start.

      Delete
  3. Very insightful post Sondra. If only people would realize that they are the cause of the state of the world. The biggest thing that bugged me when I had to do door delivery for my groceries was all those plastic bags and they would not take them to recycle at the store due to covid. I'm so happy to be doing my own shopping again so I can use my own bags. Your photos are great love your state bird what a beauty,
    Happy New Year Sondra, and may it bring you much birding and maybe some camping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I hope this is a great year for you!! Yes I do believe the retailers have a responsibility to recycle their bags OR just stop suppling bags period...
      I sure HOPE 2022 is a better year on the camping front.

      Delete
  4. Lets hope you don't have anymore earth tremors, they must be scary.
    I enjoyed seeing your photographs here.

    I wish you a happy and healthy 2022.
    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, we actually had another one on Monday...but again it was small but in the same place...makes one wonder what's up! I hope your new year is a huge success.

      Delete
  5. A Happy New Year to you Sondra. I hope you don't get too many more tremors, it's not really something we get here but I imagine it can be a bit of a worry!!

    Fingers crossed the Beavers are welcome at the lake, it would be a shame for them to be pushed out of yet another habitat. Good for you on the plastic, it's so difficult to avoid at times, the supermarkets here seem to give it a go with the fresh food and then suddenly start plastic wrapping everything again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, We had another earth tremor on Monday! It was not as strong, but I have to wonder what is the cause...It's so very hard to find food not put in plastic, it has been a challenge so far this week...One thing is the coffee creamer I like it's non dairy but it's in plastic bottles, So I have to figure that out. I hope you had a good New Years.

      Delete
  6. There are so many ways we can avoid using plastic. I’m pleased you’re giving it your all. I hate that cold cuts are now offered in plastic. I’d rather stand in line and get mine cut on the spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen...so good to see your visit. It has been a challenge for sure in some cases I came home empty handed and will have to come up with some solutions...at least to be sure it's a recyclable type plastic.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the good wishes and back at you with mine! Thank you for your great zero plastic suggestions, some of which I've already adopted, but we need to do more. Scary that you had an earthquake and I hope you have no more. We just can't know what to expect from the weather any more. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, today I made my own humus from canned chickpeas, since I can recycle tin cans, and I made my own Guacamole so that's 2 plastic containers not purchased! Finding alternative packaging is going to be a huge challenge...wish we had a whole foods with loose dried beans and more unpackaged veggies. Take care and Im happy to hear you are considering reducing your plastic use also.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!