Friday, January 29, 2021

A month already gone?

Another slow week it got better on Thursday when the rain stopped, and it got cold.  I wanted to go to Lee County...so on the way I stopped at Bethany Cemetery.  


I heard a Red Bellied Woodpecker and other birds foraging.     







      And then he flew down on the ground with a Yellow Shafted Northern Flickr 






They hung out together and flew off together also....And there was a lot of Eastern Towhee around males and females...










There was White Throated Sparrow also...here is a female. 



Then I couldn't take the cold wind much longer my fingers stopped moving... so I got back in the van  and headed  to on a wetland nearby.  

Newsome Pond

On the way out this Northern Harrier was riding the wind, and looking for a meal...





I scanned the lake and saw a flock of Ring Necked duck along with some Canada Geese...


pretty far back...

they were spread out about 35 in all....

And some Yellow Rumped Warbler in the trees, 


And although it looked old, I found some Beaver Chewed wood...with teeth marks...see in the middle of the wood.


but no beaver....

Chinaberry Tree. 


and a nearby horse farm that was all closed down has been purchased and now there's horses there again they all had on their blankets against the cold wind...


 I was hoping for someone to get this place and finally it's in good shape the fences mended, the weeds gone, and horses in all the paddocks. 

A Turkey Vulture watched me, 




And an Eastern Bluebird perches nearby...

trees are budding...

But I had enough of the cold wind so home I went I hope to do more exploring tomorrow...AND ground hog day is on the way Im not ready for Summer but Spring will be nice...




PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

15 comments:

  1. That white throated sparrow is a striking bird. Its always good to see a old property purchased and then being well looked after as it benefits the whole area.
    Yes January has flown by, as has this year, considering that nothing really exciting was done, just humdrum mundane stuff. It really is a series of groundhog days Sondra, and here there is no sign of anything otherwise, as our lockdown is set to continue for at least another month or more. But the positive side is, we are well and have the countryside, and for that I'm very thankful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave and the white throated has a wonderful whistle/song it's just delightful to hear. Agree on the groundhog day...just little things can make me feel so much better. We have so much rain anymore it's difficult to do anything so when the sun shines I GO out. Happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    What a great outing. We seem to be having a lot of windy days lately. Great sightings of the Woodpecker with the Flicker, the Towhee is beautiful. Love the Harrier images and the sweet Bluebird. The pond and reflection are lovely. We will be starting February off with a snow storm. I hope we are not in a pattern of snow every couple of days. Take care, enjoy your day! Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen...same to you on the weekend. I was happy to capture some photos of these lovely birds for my blog because I had nothing up to that day...Today was also a nice day sunny but COLD...so I made the best of it.

      Delete
  3. Great Post. A well spent walk with some great wildlife. Most of those birds would be lifers for me..... would be good to walk in your footsteps to get about 4 new bird species.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave than you for your visit, I just checked your latest post so many awesome and colorful reptiles and more. I haven't had a lifer for a while 2020 was tough only 3 lifers the entire year.

      Delete
    2. lets all hope for a better 2021. I am due in Brazil for a bird tour.... who knows? Keep well and safe

      Delete
  4. The sun looks wonderful, obviously you can't tell how cold it really was! Very nice to get the Woodpecker and Flicker together, almost like they were posing for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I enjoyed seeing the Flicker and the Woodpecker together, they seemed like best friends. Happy Weekend to you.

      Delete
  5. Great pic of the harrier flying! So hard to get good pics. Loved the woodpecker and flicker together! I know you are happy to have some sun even with the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sis, yes it was good to have the Sun, the trade off is the cold air that brings it, thanks for you comment. :o)

      Delete
  6. Great shots of the Northern Harrier! Of course all your picture are wonderful all the time. We have had so much rain but we are very grateful for it. And it is raining right now since they said on the news tonight no rain. Still pretty cold and windy also. I don't blame you for dashing off when the sun shines no matter how cold it is.
    You have a great weekend to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, we are back to rain today Sunday, hope it's gone soon, Im ready for some shirt sleeve weather. Thanks for you kind words.

      Delete
  7. Many thanks for sharing these sightings, so nice to see.

    WE have had a lot of rain here in the UK. I'm hoping February may be a little drier, we shall see.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Is A Vivid Red On The Head Of That Woodpecker - Been A Busy Few Weeks And I Am Playing Catch Up - Sending Positive Vibes

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!