Friday, February 5, 2021

Last weekend of Jan

On Friday  I drove back to Lee County.  Y'all heard me blog about the Beaver Pond there was ruined when they killed the Beaver, and so for a long while I couldn't even bring myself to go back and when I did found an alligator in the pond...That was such a devastating thing...they destroyed a productive environment builder and it was immediately replaced by a savage beast who will eat and destroy the balance of the wetland.   Anyways my soapbox is always handy.   The pond is doing okay with all the rain but if we have a dry spell it surely will drain...
Beaver Pond 

Anyways my main goal is to check on the Eagle nest.  Been watching this pair for at least 3 yrs...and they have at least one chick in the nest, I can't see the head popping up yet so there may be more. 

think I got too close...



One hunts while one waits, and the arriving parent has a fish in the talons...


I love this wetland it's such a shame it is not being protected... enjoyed it while I had lunch from the van 



It is not near as birdy as it was when the beaver dam was in place...but others were there...

Red Bellied Woodpecker

Carolina Chickadee

The Red Shouldered Hawk 


Great Blue Heron 

                             It's South Carolina, soooooo yes we have Palmetto Trees...or they could be Sable Palm they are similar. 

Nearby is a Ashwood Lake, the dam broke there a couple years ago, and everything disappeared, but they repaired it and now it's returning...Im happy they have it posted no Fishing.  So they repair a man made pond and destroy a beaver natural made one? Only humans would do such a stupid thing.


Pano of the live oaks 


I saw Cormorants, PB Grebe,  C Geese, and Ring Necked Duck.  Also Yellow Rump Warbler, American Goldfinch, and other perching birds.  And heard Barred Owl, the second of the day heard one at the Beaver Pond also. 

                                                Goldfinch love the Sweet Gum seed pods


Saturday
 I made it up to Marlboro County and to Lake Paul Wallace in the town of Bennettsville.  





scoping the lake..:o)

The lake had a lot of individuals Coots, Ruddy Duck, Ring Necked Ducks, Pied Billed Grebes, Cormorants, and a few Bufflehead and Geese. 

Ring necked Duck

Ring Necked  female foreground 


Pied Billed Grebe 



                                                       Double Crested   Cormorant 






                                                                   Bufflehead 


I took a long walk on this causeway that splits the lake into 2 lakes.  



A couple Ring Billed Gulls have paired up..


 


A large raft of Ruddy Duck more than 200 ducks in this group its amazing how small they are compared to the coot which is a small duck also...

Ruddy above 
Coot below 



Ruddy Female 



A few Great Egret were hanging out near the edges of the lake..



Ruddy Male no blue on the bill yet..


And in the surrounding trees, 

Northern Mockingbird


Ruby Crowned Kinglet


and a tree full of American Robin



The sky clouded up and the water grew moody so I packed it up for the day..


And then it rained the next two days...so 

Until Next Time...

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

17 comments:

  1. Sondra, a Ringed Necked duck has been seen on a lake near Cardiff
    https://earthstar.blog/2021/01/30/ring-necked-duck-again/

    Probably came over on the westerlies but its still a long way.
    Its a shame those beavers have gone as they change the area for the better. The beaver project in Cornwall has been going for a few years now and is a success.
    Good to have the van back up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, about the duck, every now and then there is a Tufted Duck making an appearance in the USA, and it's a mad fever to see it. I don't understand the thinking behind the destruction of the beaver, so glad some governments of the world see how important they are to ecosystem.

      Delete
  2. Hello Sondra
    It is a shame about the beavers, it looks like a great habitat. The views of the lakes, sky and birds/ducks are beautiful. I love the palm trees. You have reminded me to go and check on our eagles nest. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, yes there should be young in those nests by now,,,hope you see some. It makes me feel very sad when I see beaver being destroyed simply for doing what they are on this planet to do!

      Delete
  3. Great pics of the ruddy duck! I remember in early 2019 I drove 2 hours just to see one! I'm really sorry about the beaver. It is a great place. I remember our visits there and Wallace Lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sis, thanks for your visit, I was happy to finally get over to Lake Wallace and check it out I normally make a couple trips over but winter only one trip.

      Delete
  4. Humans can be so dumb really. Wait until the gators take over and start causing some real problems in that area. I loved the tree full of Robins, well I enjoy all the birds you post. You had 2 great days before more rain hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, this pattern in our weather seems to be the new norm for us for now leastwise. I love all birds can't think of one that is not special. Everyday it's such a treat to see what is gonna show up.
      Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  5. There's no understanding folk sometimes, Beavers have been reintroduced here in recent years and some have been culled in Scotland I don't know why?!

    Oddly a Northern Mockingbird has turned up in Devon here in the UK in the last couple of weeks, hitched a ride on a ship maybe, it's certainly way off course, lots of birders are cursing due to the Covid lockdown, nobody other than locals should be seeing it!

    I love seeing your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Pam, what a fantastic story about the mockingbird, they are beautiful with their golden eyes...Beaver have a hard time don't they?

      Delete
    2. They do, more education about much good they can do is needed I think!

      Delete
  6. Glad you had some nice days before the rain set in. Bummer about that wetland, do you know who owns it? There are some grant programs out here for protecting wetlands in some areas but not sure what it all entails. Coots are so weird, and interesting to see how much bigger they are than the Ruddys. Hope February is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I have no idea who owns it. The same govt that protects wetlands is the one who sends out the guy to trap and remove the beaver. Coots are so much fun to watch...I love seeing their big green feet.

      Delete
  7. Best Photos Ever For Sure - Thank You So Much - And Dig The Little Lunch Box There - Ideal Location For It

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, thank you kindly, I find I am always out in the boonies where there is no place to find food, so I pack a light lunch everytime I go out plundering around.

      Delete
  8. These are lovely photographs, I enjoyed seeing them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, and thank you.. I am enjoying browsing your recipes.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!