Thursday, January 7, 2021

First week of 2021

... on Sunday the sun came out.. I had to split firewood that day and it was windy, hence the sun...but Monday I stood in a socially distanced line to pay my property tax with my $600 bucks, then headed to the newly opened Riverfront Environmental Park. I have history with this park, but I will go into that some other time. There was like a list of about 20 rules I spared you that with my photo...the usual stuff. 

It was muddy from all the rain and lots of standing water on the trails but I didn't let that stop me from walking the loop and enjoying the sunshine. 


This is the city's waste water plant but the park has it's own name so I put it on ebird with the correct name.  The ponds in the park are the original pond, that long ago was ONE big square pond, with a long pipe going out to the middle of the pond....this is by the river where of course the "clean" water is released, and I used to live on this land..It was called Bramblewood Plantation, .and we rode our horses back here many times however back then it was all woods around it.  But now it's this,,,

     A city project, the land was donated to the city 

The brush alongside the ponds produced lots of Song and Savannah Sparrow.  I had hoped to see the one White Throated Sparrow the only other active birder in town had spotted but I didn't see or hear it.  

                       Savannah Sparrow

                           Song Sparrow

One Great Egret popped down for a minute, but he didn't like me being there and flew away soon after...


And he left this behind...


Two Great Blue Heron's were around they had a spiff and one flew away..

I think if we behaved more like birds we would get along better, when  you're at a picnic table and someone else sets up right beside you, just go over and run them off...All good again and no hard feelings and they don't lay in wait to kill you later.  



This really dark Immature Bald Eagle gave a quick fly over 


I spotted this Chinese Lantern the unripe berries of the plant is toxic/poison..


The Wateree River is at the back of the park, the old ferry used to be here prior to any bridges being built...this old  photo is on the sign there...and then the rubble you see is the remains of the old iron bridge, washed away in 1908 flood. 


The river is high now due to all the rain we have had...you can launch your canoe or kayak here.
 



The Cell tower is in use..


Someone's House Boat,.


Beware of Snakes and gators!!


Then Tuesday I needed to make good use of the couple days of sun and partly sun so went for a hike and some birding at Sandhills, Im section hiking the Tate's Trail in the park,,,And today I did the section between Pool D and lake 12. 


This turned out to be a favorite section for me...

Good view of open water...

Finally pulled my FOY White Throated Sparrow out of the bush....just barely


I turned back here after the bridge the trail continues on to lake 12, I will save that section for later. And start at Lake 12...
Red eyed Eastern Towhee


Looks like coyote or fox scat, and a lot of either Possum or Squirrel fur and some bone in it...at first I thought it was owl pellets, but nope. 

Belted Kingfisher

pool D

Female Eastern Towhee

After the hike I went to explore some of the roads I haven't explored before, with open gates, and most of the time they are closed and  come spring they will close again....




That was after 
I sat in my car and had lunch since the wind was cold...the sky was pretty to watch as the clouds changed up quickly.

Thru the windshield it looks warm,,,,

Lunch Buddy...dark eyed Junco. 

the new road connected with the road I had done last time (rd 8) that took me up onto Mary's Hill, I checked the elevation this time...


524 ft 
That's  1/10th of a mile high. 

Then some clouds rolled in, it began to get colder and darker so some passing shots on my way out of the park...




And then on Wednesday I headed to my favorite Sparrow field....McBee WMA  And I had 6 species of sparrow...
Song, Field, Chipping, Fox, White Throated, and Towhee. 

The trail...only DNR vehicles allowed to drive in so I huffed the dirt road. Alongside the Russian Olive and Plum bushes...
Eastern song Sp.

Chipping

FOX Sparrow

almost hide Field Sparrow

Couldn't get photos of all of them they were hiding out pretty good,,,just barely peeking out of the brush.  
So that was fun, And some Brown Headed Nuthatch's was out in the  open...

Maybe they sleep there on the chilly nights?

So 3 days of Sun was good. 


Thursday: the Gift
 AND if you think there is only bad in the world...WRONG, look what arrived at my house Thursday afternoon...I almost fainted, because this is a wish list item for me, and due the generous and kind nature of one of my favorite and super generous long distance friends, my world just opened up BIGGGGER than ever..
Can you believe she taped this up in a box and sent it to me?? I almost don't know what to say...I'm so thrilled by the gift but importantly by your friendship. 
JEN, YOU ROCK...she payed forward this wonderful gift, 
what a great Surprise...
you will enjoy it so please check out her super inspiring bird blog on my sidebar, I Used to Hate Birds. 
Wow this is just, just, just..... so great! 
ta-dah,,,its a real beauty...

a new eye to the world 

She also sent me some other really cute things in the box...It was like Christmas all over again. Super Stoked over this...:o))

-----------------------
And about the Coup attempt on Wednesday..
That was not them taking our house from us, it was US taking it BACK!! In 2016 when they took it, we did not riot, we did not accuse or lie, we waited and then we acted...we took it back with dignity, they threw the blows not us. 
That is the important thing to remember here...
I been speaking out against TRUMP from the get go and so have all of you....I was not surprised by it, but I was sickened by it. MAY we never go through such as that again...we have to speak out and let our leaders know how we feel about the ones in congress who supported him and still do...it's not gonna fly in this democracy...OUR vote does matter and they can try to lie about it but we have to stand  up to them (those who would say we didn't vote, or cheated or whatever) even  if it takes waiting in line all day We need to make sure our elections are taken seriously and encourage our state leaders to close all loop holes, and make sure no one can ever say it's was rigged. Sadly, Im that blue dot living in a red state, I speak out I tell people how I feel about their repressive attitudes and the idea of using a dictator to attempt to destroy a democracy. I hope my state can slowly change it's attitudes. Brute force and ignorance does not work. Lets us now have Peace we have earned it. WE set things as right as we could with our votes Thank You GA, I wrote to both my horrible senators and told them that we are not forgetting they supported the leader of a COUP attempt and don't ever think they would get my support, never.  It may give them something to think about. Here is the vote broken down, so I plan to write each and every person who voted YEA on that AZ Objection these are the people who supported Trumps LIE, 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful 3 days of sun you had. Just what one needs to replish the soul.

    I was so sickened by these monsters the moron set in the Capitol but yes they lost it anyway. I'm hoping in the morning I will read that he was removed from the White House and I hope in straight jacket. As long as he is allowed to stay the trouble will continue. I have no respect for any member who has supported him through his insane and treasonous acts on our Country. He lost everyone that thinks he is god better get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I considered what happened as their response to the Biden win, We will have 4 years to observe how the republican party reorganizes...if they can't do better, then they need to throw in the towel. If that is the "base' they are all playing up to then I say let them fall thru the cracks, we don't a base like that in power..unless we want to be taken back to the middle ages for petes sake.

      Delete
    2. I've been sending e-mails out like crazy this morning and one of the ghouls sent me a thank you! I need to calm down before I give myself a stroke over this.
      .
      But I realized I never mention that beautiful gift your friend sent you. Oh the things you will see now. Enjoy it

      Delete
    3. Thank you JO, I got hung up on by one Rep office, when I told them he should resign for his dissention.

      Delete
  2. Hello Sondra,
    Wonderful outings and sightings. Some of my favorites are the Field Sparrow, Fox Sparrow and the cute Brown-headed Nuthatch. The Bald Eagle was a great sighting too. Pretty views and photos. I think # 45 should leave NOW ! It was a sickening sight, I hope these terrorists are found and locked up. I know one from my state was id because he was stupid enough to wear his work badge, he was fired from his job immediately. The members all have blood on their hands. It almost seemed like the capitol police were on # 45's payroll, they invited them in and had selfies taken. Something really wrong there. I am so happy for the GA outcome, now Biden can go back in and fix everything they have broken. But, they all need to watch their backs! I almost expect something else to happen. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen,
      Another target of my angst is FOX NEWs and Rush Limbaugh, Brietbart, and Sky New out of Australia, they are all White Supremacists talking heads. This is the type thing we need to be fighting against, they spread hatred and racist ideology ..and that is what we saw on Wednesday. Trump is a symptom of that. I think we should all get a list of names, in fact I will make a point of doing that, and we need to write each and everyone of the legislators and senators who voted YEA to that AZ objection. These type people should never be in power bless GA for seeing thru it and doing the right thing....I don't think Biden can undo what Trump did in 8 yrs. let alone four. I think Trump should resign now.

      Delete
  3. I updated my post and added the link to the leaders who voted YEA on the AZ objection I plan to write each one and let them know they objected to Democracy...and I won't stand for that. I plan to write the CEO's of Fox, Breitbart, Limbaugh, Sky News, and another others I can find...we SHOULD all do this the only power we have is our voice and our vote and our DOLLARS, I do not watch FOX period and won't support them in any fashion. Freedom of speech is one thing spreading lies is another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to get a few days of sunshine at this time of year. What a wonderful present Sondra, scopes are very useful especially if you're in a hide.
    Like most people I'm astounded by whats happening with Trump. It's scary as to think what he could do in his remaining days in office. I would like to see the 25th Amendment used but I dont think Pence will do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave thank you I also want the 25th he should never be allowed to run for any office as long as he lives, I would like to see him exiled to be honest. I think sometimes Democrats are too soft on Political crooks.

      Delete
  5. The weather has been great for you and a nice start to the year I think?! How lovely to receive such a gift, it will be much used i'm sure!

    We watched with horror the events last week, what a hideous culmination it all came to, the sooner he is gone from the WH the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam I Have already put the scope into use wow, it's wonderful to have. Its clear to me that our President has way too much power and there needs to be some laws put in place to prevent this type thing happening again. The right needs to stand down and look at themselves, and ask what is my beef. I can tell you what it is, they hate minorities, they LGBTQ, they hate the thought that someone who is not doing well in society may get some financial help from the govt. They just HATE, they are the party of hate and white nationalism.

      Delete
    2. Yes it's clear to see the hatred for minorities and the fight over the (lack of) financial help through the pandemic makes it even clearer!

      Delete
  6. Lovely sunny photos, I forget how cool your Fox Sparrows are! Glad you like the scope, I'm psyched you'll be able to put it to use. Political bs aside, you had a good start to the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I saw a fox sparrow in almost that exact tree last year...so a reliable spot to see one...I sometimes see them in the yard but not for a couple years now like most they are in decline. I am enjoying the scope already so thanks again!!!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!