Saturday, September 24, 2016

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Upper Peninsula Michigan.








As you can see I made a big loop...since I had the invite to St Ignace I slowly made my way back up to the south shore of Lake Superior which is the Upper Peninsula area of Michigan. Lucky for me it was not that far, to come back to from St Ignace.  Anyway when I left my playful otters alone and got tucked in for the night it began to rain and it poured all night.  I ended up getting soaked taking Casey for his morning walk and he did too...both had to dry our coats out as we traveled north to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  NOW IF I was not on a budget I would have taken the 2 and half hour boat tour around the rocks you can see so much more from the water, but IT was pouring rain and I had not made any reservations and I get sea sick on rocking boats sooooo I just made the best of it.  Got my plastic poncho out and hiked in the rain with my camera under plastic.  I began at Grand Marais and went west to Munising, MI on H-58, The first stop I made along this route was the hike to Sable Falls.  Its about 3/4 mile round trip to the overlook. 


                                       
                                                   

    
                                                      

                                        



And this is my first view of the sand dunes! This area is the log slide they actually used to slide logs down this sandy chute to the water below to be barged together and shipped out to lumber companies!



It was still drizzling and foggy but I got a look at the Au Sable Lighthouse. 




Freighter on Superior 

here is the upper part of the log slide chute...







I totally did not get the name of this river as it empties into Lake Superior, but its the Sable Beach here and I took a walk...





Saw this red spotted eastern newt hanging out in the shallows!




then I hiked to Miners Falls...very impressive 40 ft drop and with the rain really flowing big!





passed these awesome lichens on the trail 



Gorgeous color!! Then I went to the Miners Castle Overlook...




the water color is spectacular here too!

it reminds me of Lake Powell in Utah with the red colored rocks...



and there was at least one arch visible from my overlook!  Thats one of the tour boats in the water there...







I hiked over to stand at the top of the Castle...








then I walked down to the beach where a kayak tour was just finishing up it looks warm but the water is 40 degrees!









wish the day hadn't been so rainy in the morning...but it got better! I drove to Munising Michigan not far from the Pictured Rocks Boundary and viewed their falls...



Really awesome!!  The mud ....NOT so Much!









after checking the map I decided to head back east on 58H again and to Iroquois Point to see their lighthouse before I entered Canada!!  
I made a stop in Grand Marias on my back East....and saw their lighthouse and mailed a few postcards  and bought a few more stamps!  







Had lunch in the shelter...

I'm so far behind it was 9/7/16 when I was in this area!! I may never get to share it all good thing Im writing it all down in a journal!


Next up I stayed at Whitefish Bay Camp this night...then entered Canada 


PEACE
Eleanor Roosevelt: You must do the thing you think you can not.

10 comments:

  1. Those falls are just gorgeous, esp. that first one pictured! All of your pictures are beautiful, despite the rain. Where are you now? XO. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few rain days on this trip for sure but it comes with the territory!! I actually enjoy hearing the rain beat on the roof of the van when its time to sleep...AND in real time I just drove 1785 miles across the country in 3 days and IM in TN, right back where I started and Ill be home tomorrow after about an 8 hr drive!!

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh those waterfalls are just amazing. Beautiful green serenity. (Except for that darn mud -- I hate mud).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the waterfalls were all great I got so pooped out I missed out on a couple that were close by each one had a hike and I was getting pretty worn out! Because of the closing dates of the some of the Provincial Parks I had planned to stay at in CA I had to get moving!!

      Delete
    2. Made a comment on another post saying something about the parks closing before I read your answer here! you answered my question before I asked it )))

      Delete
    3. Made a comment on another post saying something about the parks closing before I read your answer here! you answered my question before I asked it )))

      Delete
  3. Even with the rain everything looks so calm of course not the falls they were really flowing and so was the water way. The color of the water was just gorgeous.
    Keep rolling and staying safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you put this in your search bar it takes you to a video of one of these falls...it's amazing!
      https://flic.kr/p/M8ry7q

      Delete
  4. Well the advantage of the the rain is that you could appreciate the falls in full flow, and it keeps the area lovely and green. I know all about rain!!. Maps are essential to enjoying the area and getting a perspective of where you are in relation to other places. I love them and can sit and "read" a map for hours. Sat navs have their uses too, but you need both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly right...and one thing I noticed even with the mud puddles for the most part the drainage was good no flooding!!GPS will sometimes take me on some dirt road that I don't want to go on so I double check behind her!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!