Friday, May 6, 2022

More Migrants arrive


 Learning Bird calls and songs is a very important part of growing your craft of birding. 

Like this bird here...if not for hearing the song I would not have looked hard for it and found it...the Swainson's Warbler. 


play 3 seconds song



I've never gotten a decent shot of one, but this shot I like! I did make a video of the bird singing but there was a lot of background noise so I made a recording of the call only and combined with my photo. 
 

A Green Anole changes his color to brown ...

A White Eyed Vireo is a very vocal bird...and this is one of  his calls



Just a 3 second clip of the bird and call..

he found a grub or spider to eat...


And GOSLINGS! Not many but we will take it. 



Summer Tanagers are in my yard looking for a nest mate...


They are a delightful shade of Orangey Red...



And this first year male Orchard Oriole is multicolored with gold, yellows, blacks and greys...



Other First of the Season birds of this week are the Yellow Breasted Chat...another bird with a loud and boisterous call..


I also saw Indigo Bunting this week I hope to get some good photos of him next time out  I wasn't successful in capturing any good looks this week...They were all around the edges of this wide open field...a new birding spot for me.  It's nearby, it's a dirt road with no homes on it....all rural forest and fields. 



Lots of Savannah Sparrow, and this is one of our May Challenge birds, along with Indigo Bunting, and Eastern Towhee.  


And I will leave you with a look at the vernal pool that I monitor...it's quite large now...


recently I've seen Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, 
Red Winged Blackbird, Killdeer, Red Tailed Hawk, and so far I've seen 50 species here since I starting keep records of my sightings at this pool  of water that is controlled by the amount of rain we have!!

This is in the river tho...hope you have a rock to rest on when you need one,,,



And this is my Mother's Day cactus, given to me by our family friend Nettie who passed away in 2020..
Remembering her and my Mom this mother's day. 




Thats all for this week... 

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

9 comments:

  1. Your migrants are so colorful and I love summer tanager! You have a great weekend and coming week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sondra,
    Wonderful sightings and beautiful. photos. You saw a nice variety of birds. I have never seen a Swainson's Warbler. I did see and hear the White-eyed Vireo recently. The Summer Tanager is a beauty. I love the cute lizard and the turtles. You found a nice spot for birding. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, the Swianson's is much like the Red Eyed Vireo but the song is completely different so that helps with the ID. Have a good Mothers Day!

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty red cactus flower! Yes maam a rock to rest on comes in handy for us older "hikers" (strollers, walkers, substitute as you see fit). Not all of us are as fit and strong as you are! And nor do all of us (me, anyway) have a good ear for birdsong. I am not so sure I could learn to do better. I don't have a good ear at all for voices or sounds. (I was so glad to get caller ID, because before that I could never tell which of my three sons was on the phone, to their dismay! LOL, I was good enough to know if it was their sister, but that's about as far as it went.) Anyway, back to the point, I can recognize almost no bird songs. I guess I will never be a professional birder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sallie, I totally get I learned all that when I was younger and am forgetting what I did know...speaking of Able bodied, I am struggling with a right hip that gives me daily misery so I know that feeling all too well I hobble is what I call it...I am just happy we both still get out there and enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. The birds are so colourful aren't they ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!