Friday, November 26, 2021

Sunny and cold

 I made a couple trips to Bramblewood and hiked the trails that go around the ponds.. and one visit on cold day at Sandhills...

                It's really pretty with all the seeds hanging onto the bushy stuff that edges the ponds...


I was under the spell of just how many types of seed is there for the birds to take advantage of...


Some plants that have a really sunny spot are still in flower...







Lots of Song Sparrow are feeding there...


They dart all over the trail and try to hide in the thickets...and they blend right in...


A Cormorant was swimming in one of the ponds, 


And far on the other side was a Great Egret fishing..





The Cattails are going to seed...





An Eastern Phoebe was hunting for insects from the tall stalks in the water. 




This Mockingbird is lucky he still has some Poke Berries to eat...




The trail meanders and winds around and figure 8's the ponds, 







Drying out....


The river is high right now...



This is a great place to take a walk on a sunny day and enjoy the plants, and some birds too....and the water. 
At Sandhills I saw this really cute Pied Billed Grebe



One awful thing I saw was this deer, who met his demise and somehow ended up in this pond very sad thing...



There was a HUNT here last week, it would not surprise me to know someone shot him and was not able to retrieve him and he made it this far..then predators are working on the carcass. 

There was a couple of Loggerhead Shrikes around....



Swamp Sparrow 



The Dark Eyed Junco's are back! 


And the first of Fall Field Sparrow was out 



I did try in the middle of the night last week to get a shot of the moon eclipse  from my deck it was behind a few trees, but I got this shot..at 4:44 am. 



This year is almost over, and I am glad...it certainly has not been the best year...

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Even though the vegetation is dying back there is beauty in the old flower heads and seed pods.
    As sad as it is with the stag at least he is being returned to nature and is a food source for many.
    Hope you had a good Thanksgiving Sondra, and as you say its not been the best of years. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, the predators were def retuning that deer to the soil...I love to see the fall flourish of seed pods, and such there are so many shapes, and colors, it's really the time of harvest.
      I wish you all the best in the upcoming weeks.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Looks like a great spot for birding, great food sources for the birds. The trails are nice. I like the shot of the Cormorant drying it's wings. The moon eclipse is great. I hope you had a very happy Thanksgiving. Take care, enjoy your day and the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I did have a quiet day with my son we had some good eats and watched a couple of movies, so that was good. Anymore by 9 pm Im ready for bed...I think I have stepped into the Golden Years.

      Delete
  3. I loved all the birds and what is left of all the plants for them to eat. But WOW for your shot of eclipse it is great!
    Glad you had a nice peaceful Thanksgiving with you son. Have a good weekend and a good week to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thank you I have been sticking pretty close to home since the gas prices soared, Hope your crafts are coming together...have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photographs and that sky is so blue.
    I also appreciated your photograph of the moon eclipse.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, I ran out in the middle of the night and stood on my deck to try for the eclipse shot it was cold...

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely and sunny, the sky is gorgeous! What a shame about the deer though I suppose the predators are happy at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, yes that deer upset me, I know it's nature but still....
      I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  6. One of my bird-wishes is to see and ID a phoebe. Lovely birds. Pretty weather. Isn't it sad that cattails start to go to seed right about the time you'd like to pick some for an Autumn decoration. (I never think about them in time, not that I'd see any down here anyway, but when we lived in Oregon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I used to pick them and then one day you walk in and they have gone to seed, they will do that even when picked...quite a mess to vacuum up...hope you get to see that Phoebe soon. Enjoy the weekend.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!