Friday, August 20, 2021

Tiddlywinks...

So what's new, lets see if I can come up with a Seinfeld post, one about nothing. 

notice 2nd set of numbers, 95% humidity and it was not raining, 



This was the stats next morning after Tropical Storm Fred came over us...and we will have TS Grace coming next...we had a lot of tornado warnings yesterday.  

And you thought you had it bad, check out this poor old hornworm...





here is what I found out from Google..

The white obtrusions are actually the cocoons of a parasitic braconid wasp. A female wasp has laid her eggs under the skin of that hornworm. As the eggs hatch the larvae actually feed on the hornworm insides. The larvae eat their way out of the caterpillar and spin the cocoons you see.  It's horrible!! I almost felt I should put her out of her misery...


So all that stuff we see on sci-fy movies of a weird creature invading  bodies, laying eggs, and hatching out... IS TRUE!! Holy Alien. 

I found some seeds to start my fall garden pots off, lettuce, spinach and arugula all favorites, I want to find Swish Chard and Romain...hopefully later.  Seeds are not really on the shelves yet. I want to get these in the soil for a mid October harvest...each one takes about 20 days from seed to harvest...so Im thinking  to plant 2nd week of September...And at that same time I will put some in seed starter inside to transplant in Dec/Jan.  That's my plan anyways we shall see. 



I put some cilantro in a pot last week and it's up I have to rotate it every day 



And today I put a second planting in this blueberry container, I saved about 6 of these things to use a seed starters so this is a trial to see how it will work...when it's cooler I can close the top to help the seeds germinate.  I put it in the laundry room where it can get light but not too strong sun..






While I was in there I noticed my Florida Bromeliad is growing...this stick fell onto my windshield when I took a walk around one trail in the everglades, and it had a Bromeliad on it so I picked it up and put it in my van and it's been living on this  stick ever since that was in 2016.  I pour a little water over it now and then and it thrives in the humidity we have here.




This is I'm pretty certain one of the young Carolina wrens that fledged from the hanging pot by the screen door....




And lately I've had up to as many as 8 female hummingbirds fighting over the feeder...soon they will take off too...I saw a lone male hanging out one day then he went on his way south.

This one sneaking up from below

And Im trying this product for my dogs it's supposed to be good for Joint, Coat, and Skin.  They just started on it yesterday I got it from Amazon.  


I was looking at more old photos and I dragged out my Alaska scrap book that was fun to trip thru 


In the  Land of Midnight Sun  before digital was invented photo of sis and me at the Arctic Circle sign...it's 200 miles of bad road getting there and another 200 getting back! 


I got a shot of our rental on the VHS video we made but no snapshot of the swift, at least I couldn't find it, but here is one  from Amazon...we did the whole trip (1600 miles)  in a 4 cylinder Suzuki Swift exactly like this one.
So to all those macho Overlanders on Youtube....really? 

from Amazon


That was my week in a nutshell, nothing exciting...and just everyday life on the homestead. 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. A friend who has dogs gives them glucosimine for their joints. I worked for her dogs. I had to Google arugula as I've not come across it before, and cilentro here we call it coriander, as cilentro is the Spanish name.
    Nature is cruel with those parasitic wasps, survival is the name of the game though.
    How exciting to cross the Arctic Circle I always wanted to do that and in my mind I used to plan trips to Tromso in Norway. Suzuki are great cars and superb engineering, they mad good motorcycles too.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I think Arugula is called Rocket in your area, It's a very stong tasting leaf but it is brilliant to add to other salad greens. My dogs also get the Glucosamine tabs every day this is in addition to that Annie has a scratchy problem she may have a grass allergy and Floss has all sort of skeletal problems, so I hope this will help I was giving fish oil but they don't always eat that so this one I can squirt on the food. Hope you can make that trip to Norway. The constant daylight was a little hard to deal with in Alaska, but we sure did love that trip. TC and have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    We have been getting the leftover rain from the storm Fred. MY hubby has the green thumb in the family, I tried growing herbs and they didn't make it. I love the cute Wren. That hornworm is creepy looking. A trip to Alaska is on our bucket list, it could just be a dream now. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, at least the Canadians opened up the border for vaccinated Americans...we flew in then rented that little car...great Car gets good gas mileage...BUT those tankers that passed us showered us with Rocks and the windshield got cracked.
      That storm hit us with a lot of rain and we had more last night. I had no idea that was some parasite on the hornworm, very creepy!
      Happy weekend to you.

      Delete
  3. The only herb I have left is basil the stuff grows like crazy. All the herb plants my daughter gave me either didn't root or they did and then just died. Your planned new garden sounds great. I have always wanted to go to Alaska. Glad you made the trip.. I have heard very few windshields make the trip without a crack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I hope to be able to keep my garden going as it has become my focus during the too hot to get out and do anything else summer, I can get out there do my gardening and come right in for a cool shower! I am so very glad we made that trip to Alaska, and it was back in the days GPS or cellphones and the internet was just getting started so I made all our reservations by telephone. We did a little bit over everything that one could in 7 days!

      Delete
  4. Yeww, that poor worm! ..... I love Swiss Chard and it is very hard to find in Farm Markets for some reason - - it growws really well here in Oregon too, so I don't know why they don't plant it. .... We drove our RoadTrek on that route to and from the Arctic Circle ... somewhere in between what you drove and an adventure vehicle, leaning a little more toward yours ;> ... but also, I think the road was a bit better by the time we went. (I wish I could go back to check it out -- we stayed in Alaska over three months and it wasn't long enough!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sallie, yep we went back in the days when we both had jobs to deal with so only a week... drove to Atlanta where my sister was living at the time we so I had a couple more days to make the trip there and back...I would love to go back. we had a variety of places to stay from camping in our tent to a rustic cabin to a nice B & B...

      Delete
  5. Check You Out With The Blast From The Past - So Many Locations That We Would All Love To Revisit For The Appreciation Factor - Be Well Sondra

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, I am in envy of your get away I can't physically get away right now so Im doing a mental get away....enjoy it while it's there.

      Delete
  6. A friend who has dogs gives them glucosimine for their joints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI, thanks for you comment, yes they get that as well they have been taking Glucosamine for a couple of years now, but that doesn't help the itchy skin so the Hemp and Salmon should help with both. I would say there is a slight improvement in the over all condition.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!