Friday, August 6, 2021

Summer on notice...

Monday I did began to feel the cold ease up some, talking about the cold in my HEAD...it's been dragging on a while now.  So I got out my yard blower and did some pine needle clean up on the old brick patio...felt I could do a little more so I opened up the mower garage pulled it out and rode it around the yard.  I must add that on that morning the humidity was a tolerable 44% and there was actually a breeze.  


One thing I like about riding the mower around is I feel content, it's a time to just go on auto pilot and circle around as if I'm in a labyrinth, it def has healing power. A little noisy tho! 


the Moon wants more Zen sounds

The Male hummingbirds left on July 30th.  The females are not as eager to leave  and some extra ones showed up as well...I saw 5 at one time dive bombing and a couple times they did share.  Soon the feeder will be taken apart for the last bleaching and stored away for another year. 




Wednesday I went out and found  one of the wren chicks on  the ground, the other two not in the nest, I picked him up put him in the nest little bugger jumped right back out so I guess it was time... the adult was calling this is one reason I wish they had not nested so close to the house...I could have spooked them walking around,,,the pot was only 4 ft from my porch door.


Has it been 10-14 days?  I think this is a little early but it's not up to me...

The parents  were rounding them up when I gave up and went inside I was doing more harm than good at that point,,, 


Mom



  I found this click bug in one of my empty watering containers he found himself in a place he couldn't escape but I heard him making clicking so I turned him out on a fence post top,,,,



He hugged his legs in tight and went into play dead mode...sort of like a turtle, his head is hinged and even it is clamped down tight. 


So I rolled him over and I was surprised to see he is actually covered in a stiff bristle of hair..

The flower pots and beds are slowly coming of age and the Red Sedum is about to open, to me  it is the last of the summer bloomers and then the fall bloomers begin to make a bud...

Sedum on the far left

Im about to pick my Butternut Squash and another flower or two are trying  a last ditch effort but I don't think there is any hope for more fruit this year.  The eggplant is giving it one more try also...




I did enjoy the one I got to eat! The Squirrel took the other 5!!

And this out of control indeterminate tomato  bush finally has some tennis  ball sized fruit...


I tied mesh around them after taking this photo because I found one on the ground chewed up but not eaten...Squirrel AGAIN!


she is keeping her eyes alert for an attack from a sister hummer...



 it rained and the little hummers got wet...just another day in life to them...


 We take a walk around the yard on  good days Floss finds a cool spot to watch from under the spice bush



Annie and I  found this feather it's about 4 inches long Hawk, Owl? I really don't know 


Im not a big Parsley fan, so I saved this for any Monarch Caterpillars, so far none have shown up..




Here's the butternut one more is on the vine it needs to get a little bigger so I will leave it for now..




I will be sure to save the seeds for next year. 

Another cycle is about to complete.


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting garden tour Sondra. The moon reminds me of one the kids had when they were small and it used to hang from their bedroom ceiling.
    home grown veg is wonderful, a friend with an allotment recently gave us lots of veg as she has a huge surplus and its wonderful. Although we grow some veg in pots its not the same as having your own plot.
    I've been looking at the Lumix FZ82 and it looks tempting. I'm not sure yet if I would get the full use out of it. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I only have a few plants in pots as well I gave up the in ground gardening due to so many deer attacking it, hard to compete with them, OH that's a great sounding camera Dave, I should sell the Nikon and go for that I sure didn't see any when I was looking for one...The one Im using is the FZ80..I love the layout of the Panasonic, not saying you should buy it just I can say it's easy to use...I've had that moon thing a long time I have a Sun that matches it I notice they need repainting, but not sure I want to tackle it, maybe I should spray with some clear coat to protect them. TC and have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I love the cute photo of your Floss, she looks adorable in the cool spot under the bush. The wrens are cute, I have been seeing a family of wrens moving around our wood pile. Love the sweet Hummer, great video. Our tomato plants have been eaten, maybe by the deer. Your squash looks huge. Take care, have a happy day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, I had 2 butternut vines and they both gave me one nice fruit more than enough for me...I can have 4 meals off that...My tomato had done so poorly this year...I have 3 wrapped up in mesh trying to keep them on the vine till they get ripe...One stray Male showed up at the HB feeder yesterday and he really stirred things up...couple more weeks they will all be gone. Have a good weekend, mine is going to be very quiet it's raining this morning..

      Delete
  3. Love your yard,and now that it is so green and the flowers and veggies are blooming and growing. While the squirrels are cute to watch they sure can get into things. Love you shot of the hummer. Butternut squash is one of my favorites next to zucchini, but they are so expensive so I don't buy them often.
    Good to hear your cold is going away. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thank you! I am looking forward to cook that squash...I like to put nutmeg on it with some margarine, yummy stuff. Yes the Squirrels destroyed the new wooden suet feeder I bought $16 more in damages thanks to them.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love seeing the Hummingbird video, this is one bird on my bird bucket list! Hopefully all 3 Wrens fledged successfully? At least you managed one Squash for yourself, those pesky Squirrels, here the problem is slugs, I've never been able to grow anything so gave up years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I really hope the little wrens make it they did hang in the yard for one day then I heard the calling of the parents off in the woods so I think they took them to heavier cover. I hope you get to see a hummingbird soon. TC

      Delete
  5. Glad for the cooler weather and that your yukky summer cold is better. Our daughter *loves* to mow her big yard ... she describes it much as you do (I worry she'll get too Zen and fall asleep on it ! I think she wears earplug thingies btw.) Glad at least one or two butternut squashes survived your stinking little squirrels. When they're smaller, I learned to cut those squash in rings and roast them -- absolutely delicious. But not as much to eat of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sallie, I like the idea of the rings of squash...it can be hard to cut that thick rind. AND there is another small one trying to grow, we'll see if it makes it. Yes I also wear ear plugs it's helps for sure. Hope your week is running along smoothly. TC

      Delete
  6. Pleased to read your cold is going away :)

    Love the look of your squash, it looks great.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jan, I look forward to eating that squash...Have a good weekend..

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!