Friday, August 27, 2021

Dog Days...

I know you have heard that term used many times but do you know the origins of the phrase  Dog Days of Summer?  OK GOOGLE: Do your thing-

This period of sweltering weather coincides with the year’s heliacal (meaning “at sunrise”) rising of Sirius, the Dog Star. Sirius is part of the constellation Canis Majoris—the “Greater Dog”—which is where Sirius gets its canine nickname, as well as its official name, Alpha Canis Majoris. Not including our own Sun, Sirius is the brightest star in the sky.

SO now you know!!  But it's not all about dogs...

First sign Autumn is on the way is Golden Rod just beginning to open  this time of year is our butterfly season,..


Speaking of which I visited the Pollinator Plot again it's full of weeds not but ALSO  full of Monarch's and other nectar lovers...

 
I read that the variation in color of the underwing is male and female...the paler one is the female

And  a Pipevine Swallowtail ?


I will share more  of the butterfly photos in my next post...

I noticed a Summer Tanager poking around near the hummingbird feeder, she is trying to catch a wasp which is their favorite meal...notice the bigger than normal size beak on this female. 




More insect hunters present is the very common Carolina Wren...this looks like one the adults not the young ones that fledges a couple weeks ago...



Another really good hunter I found is the Eastern Wood Pewee, this one found an insect on the limb, you can really see the orange inside the mouth  



Then the bird hung around looking for another meal...these is one of the Tyrant Flycatchers.  They did nest on the homestead I can hear them calling daily...



And lets talk about Poison Ivy...leaflets 3 let it be, but if you're a Carolina Chickadee you eat those berries that come on this time of year...Migratory Birds look for this nutrient rich waxy berry to help them make the long journey so if you have one climbing up a tree...let it be!! 


The Brown-headed Nuthatch has plenty of natural food around in the form of pine nuts but why do all that work when you can get a pnut or a sunflower seed just fly in a grab it? 







And who doesn't love a poke around in the Poke Berry bush? I know Northern Mockingbirds do...





And last year I transplanted some wild plants to one of my border beds...I am almost thinking this is a White Swamp Milkweed...I sure hope so I would love to get more established if possible...pollinators  love them...it's just starting to open so I will keep you posted..

Earlier in the spring  caterpillar ate most of the leaves off I was happy to see them grow back



And the garden pots have more Green Bell Pepper  more delicious than anything you can buy in the store...this one plant gave me 4 peppers this year and Many last year, I over wintered it and I plan to do the same this year.   I plan to overwinter all my pepper plants in the laundry room with the sunny windows. 



And I read I can overwinter my eggplant so I already brought it into the porch it has 3 new blooms on it I may get some fall veg off it...then I need to prune it back to the lowest growth and dig in more compost and fresh soil to the plant keep watered but on the dry side and keep from frost...sounds easy 

By the time this posts we will have had 10 inches of rain in the month of August, maybe more as is it predicted to rain every single day for the rest of the month...not like all day but T-Storms.  I don't know if that's a record or not.  The average is about 5 inches...so we have plenty of this going on...



And lastly I made up a batch of Sweet Banana Pepper to place in a jar it's a great side for a lot of dishes...



...So how did you spend your dog days?


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Great pictures Sondra, the butterfly ones were my favourite. Its interesting that sometimes birds beaks change. A few years ago on our local reserve there was a Bluetit with a long beak, like a Kingfishers. It was a regular visitor to the feeders there and survived well. I would guess that its just a mutation as opposed to interbreeding.
    I like your pollinator patch, is that yours?
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I know a lot of birds do have mutations to deal with just like we humans do, like the deer who visits my yard I call her Tulip she has a deformed back ankle joint. The pollinator plot is not mine its a place I like to go check for birds but it sure was drawing in the butterflies I do have some butterflies in the yard they float all around so it's hard to get a photo we are just now coming up on our butterfly season. Have a great weekend exploring with your new camera!

      Delete
  2. Hello Sondra,
    Your butterfly photos are beautiful. The Summer Tanager is a favorite, I do not see them often. Love the cute Wren, Flycatcher and the Brown-headed Nuthatch. I do not have my feeders up, so I am hoping there are lots of natural berries for the birds to eat. If it is hot and humid early in the morning, I stay inside doing things around the house. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, we are starting to get some cool mornings if these tropical storms will go away. That one tree that has all those birds is unfortunately my dead dogwood...It has always been a popular tree for birds in the yard,,,and now that its dead even more insects on it so good to find food on. All my seed feeders I keep in the back woods area to give the birds good cover from predators and so the seed doesn't kill the grass and cause bare spots,..,Enjoy your Friday!!

      Delete
  3. Outstanding Post For Sure - That First Shot Of The Butterflies, Amazing - So Thankful That I Stopped By Today - Thank You For These Photos - Enjoy The Weekend

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Travis, I am also thankful for your visit and comment, I got so into those butterflies faces they were bumping into me, it was a grand feeling. Happy weekend.

      Delete
  4. I see you had a great week for photo's, butterflies are so gorgeous and the little birds hiding in trees and bushes. That sounds great that you can over winter your veggies and be able to have them ready for spring if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thank you, I hope I can get all the plants in and still have room to do my laundry...I May cut them all back to about half the size, so in the spring they will put out new growth and grow more food I hope. Our weather is slowing changing...we are getting some cool air in the mornings. Really looking forward to fall.

      Delete
  5. It's actually cooled down here = the last few days of last week and today are almost Autumn-like. I'm ready (love Fall, it's just the season that comes after that I worry about). Anywayyy.....during our Dog Days, I pretty much didn't do anything interesting except when we went to the Coast. I am not heat-averse when we're in Florida, but here it is so dry and dusty and smoky bad air I just don't enjoy being outside. ... Those peppers look amazing. I hope all your plants thrive all winter in your sunny "plant room."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I did very little outdoor activity in August, I will be happy to say bye bye to it, at least in Florida there's ocean breezes. I hope we have a real fall that would be nice. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  6. So pleased I stopped by this post.
    Beautiful birds and butterflies.
    Your Sweet Banana Pepper looks good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, and thank you I had great success with my peppers this year!!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!