Friday, December 11, 2020

Home made...

Am I disillusioned? Could be.  The ball and chain are tightening.    I have coped much better in the past.,,and I wish for those easier times to come back my way soon. 

Meanwhile in my small orbit I have Purple Finch.  A couple actually.  One of the prettiest females ever with beautiful bold markings and clear brilliant eyes is enjoying the feeder, and in return I get to enjoy watching her. 


And even tho her companion is rocking a berry blush she wins my praise...


I named her Roxanne, you don't have to put on your red dress to be beautiful...

Im out in the chill of winter creating a gift....not for a human but for a kitty cat.  Her name is Bella, and she is cute and sweet...and I hope she will have a lot of fun climbing and napping on her new cat Tower.  Yes a pile of wood, cardboard, and textiles can become this when you put it in the Replicator and hit the MIX it UP Button.  The only thing I really want from the Star Trek special effects is that replicator.  




                                    glue sisal rope to a board for the scratching post



                         
                                                 One of the napping cubbies

To purchase such a tower it's quite $$$$ even one on sale was $130.  This one cost me about $40 to build.  I had most all the supplies hanging in my "odd lots of stuff" like the wood, screws, hot glue, nails, staples, etc.  I had to buy some textiles, the cardboard tube, and some spray glue...as I was pretty much out of that. 

As I worked in the backyard, I enjoyed the finches and the nuthatches as they flew in to snag a seed then devour it on a personalized branch high up in a nearby tree.  


Red Breasted Nuthatch 

Each day ended with me trying to get the glue off my hands, and in need of a good rest and a warm drink.  I had some hot chocolate but no Toddy to add.  Drat. Alcohol is low on the list of must have's currently.  




So you make all these components and you put it together and you have Cat Scratch City! My son is going to put a little kat nip  in the cracks of the sisal scratch post and I hope she only scratches there as this textile is not too strong it's super soft tho.  




I tried to get my son interested in building cat towers...heck Im pretty sure you could make a decent living doing it, 

In Seasonal news, I put out my decorations,  our traditional 3 skiers on the mantle.


These are about 34 yrs old ...I just couldn't' bring myself to hang the dog stockings something that is my own tradition since moving here in my house again...I would have to  unwrap the one that says CASEY...unable to handle that right now .. :o((

Yesterday was so mild and beautiful so I went to Sandhills and did some hiking,,,


I saw one other person in the four hours I was there...and no waterfowl at all...that was disappointing.  I took some different roads and trails and found two ponds I had not seen before,,,



the Upper and Lower Twin Lakes..


This is going to be a wonderful picnic spot for me in the future it's off road 5 in the refuge, which is criss crossed with many dirt tracts, and this one was not too rough to navigate. 

I did see lots of Mockingbird on my way around..


All very curious

Along one hike I saw this really TALL dead tree it remains standing!





And in the fields Song Sparrow


It was so warm the lady birds were out


They have started working on Lake Bee again so maybe soon it will refill...

And one of my neighbors put this out, a bit more effort than I put into my decorations...



Another slow week  for me.  


15 comments:

  1. Ms. Finch is a subtle beauty. Your cat tower is wonderful...when did you get Bella? Or does she live somewhere else ? ... your quiet weeks are eventful when compared to most of mine. It will be even more of a struggle this winter I expect to find things to blog about. I don’t want to quit though,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sallie, yes Bella lives with my son he moved to my Moms house in January. of this year So we are neighbors. It is harder to find blog worthy news.

      Delete
    2. Welcome Bella. And Happy Season (I’m not much in the Holiday Spirit). .... Only 35 more days to Inaguration Day!

      Delete
  2. Hllo,

    I love the Mr & Mrs Purple Finches. The Red-breasted Nuthatch is one of my favorites, I have been seeing them daily now. Your cat tower looks awesome, great job! The Christmas truck/decorations are cute, more than I do too. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, for sure the 3 skiers is all I've put out and maybe all I will put out. I never saw them decorate with that truck before so I think it's a new thing for them.

      Delete
  3. So nice to see the Purple Finches.
    I think your cat tower looks brilliant.
    Love your three skiers, and the Christmas truck is amazing.

    Keep well, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, thanks for your comment so far the kitty has no fallen in with the tower,,I hope she comes around and decides to use it.

      Delete
  4. The purple finches are pretty but yes she is still prettier. The picture of the field with the song sparrow looks like a painting love it. Cat tree is cool, I noticed one of your girls watching you and thinking so what is that? I won't fit in there. As for Christmas if it weren't for my daughter and granddaughter coming and putting up my tree that wouldn't be up. I had plans to do more but when I went out to the shed to get the outdoor lights I cleaned up in there a bit and I was done for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes Im not much into this holiday I made a small effort and is about it. I think many of us just want to move on and hope for a better tomorrow.
      It is warm today so Im going to cut firewood.

      Delete
  5. A good name for the finch, I like it. You did a good job on the cat tree, better than you can buy. I like cats but around here they are bird killers so I deter them from coming into the garden, but I'm not always successful and they have killed a few birds.
    That looks a good walk and it always good especially at this time of year to get a spell of fine weather, it just makes you feel so much better.
    Its handy having you son as a neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dave the cat never is allowed outside that's why I thought she would like the tower. Son as a neighbor is like double edged sword sometimes. Like getting the cat something I would rather he not have but at least one more cat was taken off the streets so it's a good thing I think.

      Delete
  6. You did an awesome job on that cat tower! I love the female Purples as well. The dog stocking thing is rough. I hung Jake's even though he's gone. I'm not doing cards this year since we now have covid and don't feel comfortable sending mail but I appreciated your card. I hope your December goes by quickly and that you stay healthy with lots of projects and birds to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen I just read your blog hope you're feeling better. Some of my family in TN Had it in Nov,,,and it went thru all of them. I surely understand. I am not much in the holiday mood at his point it can come and go and be forgotten I think.

      Delete
  7. Oh my cats would love that tower, what a great job, I think Bella will have a ball on there! A 4 hour walk with only seeing one other person sounds a bit like heaven, there's very few places you could do that near here! The Finch is lovely, females often get overlooked don't they.

    I have to say I do like the neighbours truck decor :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam...the lovely streaks of that female were so bold and beautiful, she really stood out. Im so happy I have a place to go that is not over run with people, it really is a gift!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!