Friday, October 2, 2020

Changing Landscapes...and Month!

Sunday I finally made an attempt to get out and do some birding, the weather was still cloudy since storm Beta decided to push rain into our weather...  Clouds and drizzle my least favorite weather but the drizzle ended so I made a stop at Goodale and walked around the little loop that I created using the paved road in some parts to help keep my feet dry! 



The lake looked calm and peaceful and one Great Blue Heron was out along with an Anhinga, and one Pied Billed Grebe and a couple of Killdeer. 

  

Mostly I am just birding by ear, I hear the Eastern Wood Pewee, the Eastern Phoebe, Blue Jay, Brown Headed Nuthatch, Eastern Bluebird...and American Crow...all calling at once.   I did see one Female Redstart and 2 Northern Parula flitting around in the big Sycamore trees by the picnic shelter.  So that was cool.  

Anhinga


E. Wood Pewee


Carolina Chickadee

Later after lunch I drove to Sandhills NWR to see  how things are there.  I concentrated only on 2 areas, I did not see the otters this time.  This is what used to be lake Bee.  It has been drained and still is...I don't know the reason...


I found this "Indian paint rock" as we call them it's really a Sandstone rock that is hollow and when you break it open it  has red powder in it,  Natives used to blend this with animal fat to make a Paint! The powder is Iron Pyrite.  This one has broken and other stones have taken up residence so it's sort of a conglomerate now.. 



Two Woodcocks took to the sky before I could even scan the area I saw them pretty good but no  photos as they circled and left...the Killdeer was stunned by their quick departure...but he hung out. 


It was about then that I heard a weird call...at first I thought maybe a Heron in the trees they can make some weird sounds...but It was not it gave two quick deep "screams" Later I checked out some animal sounds...BOBCAT is what I came  up with...really cool.  The sound came from the left side of above photo..




Carnivorous Purple Pitcher Plant


The wildflowers were awesome!! Bees, wasps, butterflies, grasshoppers all over the place. 



Gulf Fritillary 





Wild Muscadine Grapes

Gulf Fritillary


Field wildflowers


Grey Catbird


One unknown Little Yellow's, Buckeye's, and Eastern Tailed Blue Butterflies



Fall Color!

Monarch Butterfly

Unknown??

Ornate Bella Moth 


I have a question when you are reading a post which do you prefer photos this size I used or smaller?  Here is the next size for comparison so which do you like best let me know in comments section please. 

Prickly Pear Cactus

Happy Birthday SIS

There was a few Canada Geese at Martin's lake near the bird blind



Did you notice that Facebook and Blogger are very much alike now? Don't like the changes on either...I hope to be back on Facebook when the election is over....I just get so upset with all the Trump crap...and did you watch that debate?? OMG I won't watch another one, I learned all I needed to know he plans to do all he can to sabotage the election from having White Militia MEN standing around in the polls to challenging the mail in ballots, to not conceding if he loses! In other words if he doesn't win  he is contesting...ASS!! Joe finally got pisst and shouted and did some name calling but  he was trying to answer the questions but with that imbecile standing there mumbling and yelling  and cursing...he never stopped moving his lips for like 90 minutes!! How can anyone just let that go...I wanted Joe to start laughing at him I think that would have shut him up. 

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

16 comments:

  1. A lovely set of pictures Sondra, lots of variety and that one of the fall colours is very good. Good enough to hang on the wall.
    I saw bits of the debate, it was awful. I can imagine all the ex presidents alive would be cringing when they saw it, dreadful behavior and certainly not what is expected of a world leader. It was more appropriate to a bar room.
    I think Trump is panicking as he is down in the polls. He epitomises the term dirty politics. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Dave you are so spot on about what happened....and the news this morning he and his wife positive for Covid...is what news is being reported...I can't imagine a more deserving host for the virus after he made it into a political tool. Hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I am glad you were able to get out birding. Between Covid and the elections, my walks help keep me sane. Great sightings of the birds, I love all the butterflies. The Pitcher Plants are cool. Happy Birthday to your Sis. I could not watch the debate, I would be yelling at the TV like a crazy woman. Did you hear the president and his wife tested positive for COVID? They still keep having their super-spreading rallies. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, I was shouting "turn off his mic" and they should have. NO One should get away unpunished with that type behavior. I did see the news, and I just hope he didn't pass it on to JOE!
      Im planning to get out today and see what I can find around my area of course...Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. You've shared some wonderful photograph here. Can't say that I've seen a Purple Pitcher Plant before!

    Have a good weekend and happy October wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, those pitcher plants are pretty rare and only grow in certain habitats, we are lucky to have some around...have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Your first picture of the lake looks like a piece of glass beautiful! All the butterflies and moths are gorgeous as is the birds.
    I guess when you posted this you might not have heard the non wearing mask moron has Covid and so does his wife and a lot of the staff to. I didn't bother watching because I knew it would be world class clown show. I did read up on it the next day and I was right. He really lives in a fantasy world does't even realize what an ass he makes out of himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree JO, I even wonder if he has it is it a hoax to get sympathy after his terrible performance at the debate and a way to not attend the next 2. I am sorry but I have no sympathy for him period. I feel sorry for people who believe in him they def have a warped sense of reality. ITS cold here today LIKE I need to turn on the heat but I refuse! I must get my fireplace ready to light. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. I see quite a few people think this is a hoax also. I wouldn't feel sorry for him at all. And what he got some miracle cure? Piece of crap that he is.

      Still running at 103 for the next few days, then luck us high 90's.
      Have a great week end

      Delete
    3. Yes I can't figure out he was hospitalized and now they won't even say whether he is still positive...so all the secrets make us come to our own conclusions.

      Delete
  5. Wow that pile of butterflies!!! Super cool. Hope nature helps keep you sane this next month... it will be hard to avoid all the trump nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, there must have been a delicious mineral in that spot...they were def enjoying it. Now he has covid, and I have to wonder is it only a hoax or real there is the dilemma of the boy who cried wolf...ONE more month of this nonsense...then hopefully a big change is coming!

      Delete
  6. I like the bigger picture. (Take into consideration my age and tired eyes when you tally votes... most of your readers won’t have those problems, fortunately for them.). All your pics in whatever size or format are wonderful, I loved this walk. It is so cool how you recognize the bird (and animal) calls and tell us about them. Along with the pics, it all really gives me the feel of this beautiful place. The paint rock info was interesting too... my “something new to learn before breakfast “ this morning. I probably don’t need to tell you I felt the same about the debate and ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, thank you, I think most people do like larger font and photos. I am like you and I learn something every single day...and it always brightens my day.

      Delete
  7. How cool to hear a Bobcat! You have some gorgeous butterflies and the colour of the Moth is just lovely! Really interesting about the rock. With the photos I think I prefer the larger ones especially with the smaller creatures in them like the butterflies?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, hearing the bobcat was a treat I did not know what I was hearing thanks to the internet you can listen to all sorts of calls and single out what you heard...Thanks for the feed back on the picture size! That moth was a quite a treat to find!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!