Friday, August 14, 2020

One Week Later...

All sorts of media was used to create this post...cause I'm scraping the barrel. 

...it's been a while since being out with my camera, I have little new on the nature front to share...but what I have I will kick in. 
My last trip to the race track I saw this Little Blue Heron on an old Windmill frame..there was about 8 white form little blue's around that day. 


You can hear a few Fish Crow in the background




Im feeling  better since my last post and worlds better than I did 3 weeks ago in the throws of the virus, I  hope that's the end of it, but please realize the virus is here among us, it's taking turns with each body it can find..be prepared is all's I'm saying.  I had my first outing on Monday day 16 after contracting the virus from hell...It was exhausting but I did it, made 2 stops for items I needed and put gas in the van...I left home at 8 back by 9:30 and it did me in for a couple of hrs but so far so good.

Yesterday I actually did a little work in my yard got out early while it was still cool and cut the grass, riding on the mower is easy all I have to do is turn the wheel...my grass was at least 8 inches tall!! Now it's back to normal and the dogs can walk around without getting morning dew on their bellies.

I refuse to use the new "blogger interface" voluntarily --just saying! Drag me to the alter kickin and screamin...

Had 2 Eastern Wood Peewees on the fence one feeding the other so welcome to the World.  It is quite nice to see all the new faces at the feeder, had 9 Northern Cardinals in 50 shades of red,  flying all over the place and the Wrens are busy as bees with their broods following them everywhere.  

carolina wren chaos

And I made this thru the window and screen video of a Northern Cardinal using the water fountain..





I had always planned to get a video of Casey drinking out of this stream, he was the only one of the dogs who would drink from the stream of water...so clever.  But I never got around to it...:0(

This Eastern Kingbird flew off just I was trying to snap a photo of him, they are so aerobatic..and such awesome flycatchers.



This was on my last trip up to Sandhills before I got sick, think I was there on July 24th, I wanted to see if any progress had been made on the pond they drained...still the same that day ,grass has grown where the lake bottom was and one Canada Goose seemed bewildered...



IT was scorching hot on that day so I didn't do any hiking just a quick look around...




Even the Egret was worried about the mud....


And if you like Sunflowers, you may enjoy this...




It's going to be a while before I'm up to any new exploring as I don't want to get out in the heat and trigger a relapse  I will be happy when I can go into the yard and water my plants or fill my feeders without it leaving me exhausted...so for now it will be what's in the yard or through the window that thrills me!!

It's amazing how small your world can become...to anyone out there who may be going thru it, I wish you a speedy recovery...

Cattle Egret from my last drive around...are about to start moving on they have been gathering in large flocks of about 50 or more in a nearby cow pasture...tempers are flaring...I think they're saying Im so ready to get outta here and go back home....where ever home is for them, maybe FL maybe Mexico..



today this beautiful little fellow showed up in my field...


So sweet...


Seems young to be alone...but I didn't see any adult they lose the spots at 3-4 months....

 the tall Goldenrod is so tall I had to tie it back with some string.  Most of my garden plants are about done even tho it remains hot fall is coming...I have some fall crops in mind for my garden pots and I already ordered my seed...some NON GMO. 

 Horn worms devastated my tomato plants while I was sick...my heirloom tomato has 2 large green tomatoes tho and my cherry tomato was eaten up pretty bad.  I sprinkled it with sulfur  powder and the worms are gone but so has the sun been gone lately...these rainy cloudy days don't help grow veg.  I had a good year with my 3 bush green bean plants in one pot...


I got a handful of beans daily perfect for me to add atop a salad...The asparagus has done well but I  think this coming year it will be even better as now I have twice the plants I had.  I harvested one butternut squash and some cucumber this week. 

I'm going with carrot, 3 kinds of lettuce, snow peas, cabbage, onions and broccoli and Im starting my Cilantro and Parsley inside and it will be ready to eat by spring.  I hope to over winter my banana and jalapeno peppers. I have a small watermelon on the vine hope it makes it...got it in sort of late and been so hot it may not survive...I have wrapped netting around it to keep squirrels away...The horn worms also got my Green bell pepper plant I hope it comes back out I over wintered it last year and I got some good pepper off it before they attacked. 


Its much bigger now this photo was taken about 3 and a half  weeks ago.  



Since Im low on news, I will share  my latest video also put together mid July, it's  happenings around the homestead, maybe you will enjoy watching, some of you have already seen it, thanks for your views!  My channel is mainly for my DIY projects but honestly I just don't tackle many projects in the summer it's just too hot...





I am excited about Biden's pick for VP Im so ready to see Trump rode out of DC on a RAIL...be prepared for all sorts of crazy antics from him to try and steal any votes he can...don't depend on the mail in GO VOTE IN PERSON!! IT's the only sure way your vote will be counted!! 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Sondra,
    I am glad you are feeling better, I hope you are back to your normal self soon. This virus sounds awful. I enjoyed seeing all your birds and videos. I love the Cattle Egrets, the cute Wren and the Little Blue Heron. The fawn is adorable. I plan on voting early and in person. Take care! Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen Im taking it day by day some days I don't feel up to anything but others Im getting some of the backload of deferred chores up to date. Hope soon my mental outlook will shift to a better place.

      Delete
  2. Pleased you're feeling better, it certainly takes it out of you and at least you have been able to get out for supplies.
    Who knows if we will get a second spike of the virus, it could well happen, so its just as well to have some emergency rations in ...just in case, especially when there's only you at home. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I am almost certain once flu season arrives, that the virus will spike again I read it prefers humid weather, so I think that is why when you look at a map of the cases in the USA the dry western states have less cases, when winter snows come the humidity levels raise there so then the virus could get another stronghold in the West...causes more havoc. I hope NOT but If you look at the science Hope has nothing to do with it.
      Joe Biden has the right idea Masks mandatory nationwide.

      Delete
  3. I see I must not have hit publish again. Happy to hear you are on the mend. And yes stay out of the heat. This summer has been brutal everwhere.

    I loved the video the first time I saw it and I loved it this time to. Love the mouse in the bird house, wonder how he got up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I still have comment moderation turned on since all the spam, it has helped so may turn it back the way I like it! That is a squirrel up there and those rascals destroyed those martin houses twice I replaced the doors and the inner chambers I need to buy baffles to go on them but very expensive the pole is triangle shaped so any old baffle won't fit it...so I give up they are 16 ft high and they just climb right up.

      Delete
    2. WOW they are fun to watch until they start destroying things. I read on a blog somewhere that they used a lid to a trash can. Wonder if that would work. Blogger wants to make these changes that noone wants, but why don't they fix this spam problem already instead.

      Delete
  4. Sondra, wow, I picked a terrible time to get behind in my blog-reading. Now that I'm caught up- CRAP! I'm so sorry you got the virus and experienced how horrible it can be. Especially awful since you've been so careful. I'm glad to see you're doing better now but I know it's something that can continue to mess with you. Enjoyed all the bird and nature content as usual, keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jen, thanks for your well wishes...it's been really tough and I do think there is some residual effects for those of us who have had what I consider a not so mild but not devastating case of the virus...I read in the NY Times some areas in India are reaching herd Immunity as well as possibly Brooklyn, NY. I sure hope so...but now there is a new word Twindemic with the approaching flu season...Each day I try to do a little more but some days Im just happy to not push it.
      Stay safe yourself.

      Delete
  5. Pleased About The Strength Returning - Lovely Photos Throughout - Stay Strong

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Travis, it's a much slower process than what I have experienced in the past I guess because Im older and have less responsibility to press me onward as I had in days gone by. Hope those fires are out soon, it's very troubling to have that threat looming over you!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!