Friday, June 12, 2020

Two More Counties...

Please let me know if the font in this post is too big...Its huge in edit, but in preview its about what I want...so how is it on your screen?


On my way to York County



The next counties I chose to get a bird list in were York and Union counties.  They are neighboring counties, and once getting these north central counties out of the way that leaves me with the Georgia/SC border the Savannah River area.  I have been through all these counties but didn't create a bird list some I was able to compose a list by checking the birds I shared on my blog, photos are date and time stamped in the EXIF info so with that info you can figure out some things...In the case of the remaining counties I have not been able to put anything together so get n the van and go back there is the answer...
On the way to York I stopped in a POURING rain storm see upper photo and got my Passport Stamp for Landsford Canal as I said I would...

Needless to say I dashed out under my umbrella stamped the book at the Kiosk and ran back to the van, and continued on..so that goal got 2 birds with one stone, getting my stamp and adding a bird list to Chester County. (My Landsford Canal post) Done goal realized!

Back to York County.  Why choose York County Airport and not the Kings Mountain State Park?? Well a couple reasons.  I want to go to Kings Mountain when the weather is cooler and I can camp overnight.  And then I can also visit a couple more parks in that area...some I've been to, just not since the Passport Stamp Program started and some I've never been to so some I will dart in get my stamp and some I will spend the day...SO why did I chose the airport in York county?  A rare bird sighting.  So this way I can work on another goal I am unofficially keeping my eye on, and this bird  helps me with that goal.  

along the way I stopped in Lancaster County at the Reservoir and found this nice tree swallow


If you use ebird, as most do these days, you can find all sorts of data.  So in my State, I check the top 100 ebirder's list pretty regular Im always trying to move up...I hit 38 then slide back to 41 as other birders were able to get more species on their list...so the leader who I told you about, Harold, has 251 species, I am #40 with 194.  So I guess it's like a tennis match of sorts.  SO now it's my Add....in a way!  I have met on trail the top 3 contenders also...over the past few months.

a prop plane comes in for a landing at York County Rock Hill, SC 

I have no aspiration to be in the top 10 but the competition is very tough up there in that 1st tier...but I am in the mix so I'm just keeping my eye on it as people move about the state finding great birds...

The rain followed me but was only dripping when I found parking near the airport..it's a small air-field and the field is the reason Im here!

Canada Geese enjoy the grass in the field.  

The grass is not mowed! So that brings grasshopper, moths, all sorts of insects and there are the birds!  So in a way it's a grassland! Its in the middle of a noisy intersection and very heavily populated area...so I can't imagine they really love it here but they are here.  I found Eastern Meadowlark,...

  

Just look at these wonderful plants! 


Some small trees just outside the fence gave landing spots to Field Sparrow..


..and Brown Thrasher 


There was a nice parking area called the Airport Observation area, so I parked there...and soon curious birds came to see what I was up to...


Cooper's Hawk


House Sparrow female


Killdeer

I hung out in the Observation Area parking for a while had my snack walked around the fence line on that side getting my feet soaked I should of put my waterproof boots on but too late my socks were wet so I slogged on...Found Eastern Kingbird, Northern Mockingbird, House Finch, more of the birds shown above but my target continued to elude me.  Until from a very long distance I saw this...



...yes it's a crappy look so let me move closer...along the main road side of this airfield is a bike path! It actually starts not far from the Observation deck and follows the fence and then to the other side of the airfield so I moved my car to the other end of the bike path and parked in a gas station parking lot and walked the bike path back toward the area I had seen from this long distance away..


Then he moved to the fence...still a long distance away and sharing with a European Starling, the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher! 


Last year a pair was recorded here and this year they have returned...this bird is normally in the south central/western USA not southeastern...so they are expanding.  I always think Route 66 when I think Scissor-tailed...check out this range map from Cornell Labs..

Range Map for Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

You can see South Carolina way over there on the east coast and this area where I am is in the Upper North Central section of the state...it is also worth mentioning that scissor tailed have been found in two more north central counties Cherokee and Spartanburg! 

He moved onto the field and landed on this survey marker 




So a county and State bird for me....and on the way back to the van I saw a second one sitting on the fence... so I think breeding is taking place.  I saw this one fly in from across that busy road, I will post for you this very noisy video just so you can get a feel for the calamity of misplaced birds...but this uncut field is the key to their survival...in total I had 15 species of bird on or around the field.

2 scissor tailed FC
PLAY -----press in center to view in this window.

I kept driving and made a weird loop into Union County to a bridge over the Broad River, I "car birded"  about 8 species to get a list for the county I will, I'm sure, at some point in time be back to do more in this county,...but till then It's 
covered! 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. That sky looked pretty stormy. The scissor - tailed flycatcher is a beauty and sure earned it's name. You are finding some interesting places to do birding. Keep enjoying yourself I guess it will get to hot soon? I've been putting out a few bowls of water around the yard but trying to find a shaded area has been difficult since I don't have any trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, It is getting hot the humidity has been high so it's going to be more of a challenge to enjoy being out there...water is so important to birds so Great idea to provide it for them.

      Delete
  2. Hello, soon you will be the # 1 ebird lister. Love teh meadowlark photo. I would love to add the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher to my life list. Great birds and trip report. Happy Birding. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, it's just fun to keep an eye on what others are doing, some people really get out there and bust the birding...I think I get a little lazy once the nestlings hatch and the heat builds so I imagine at this point I will continue to drop as long as the top birders continue to get out there and find rare birds. It's all for the experience.

      Delete
  3. Everything is fine on my monitor. I think that Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is one of my all-time favourite birds. It shows up as a vagrant here with some degree of regularity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the go ahead with the font...it's so strange when in edit it's really and if in edit I make it normal size then look in preview it's small and I can barely read it, I think people enjoy a text they can see without eye strain. It is really cool to have this flycatcher increase their range. Also we have armadillo now too. I have seen few live ones but many roadkilled :o((

      Delete
  4. Wonderful you saw the scissor tail! I remember trying to get a picture of one and failing years and years ago when we spent a Winter in either Texas or Arizona, can’t remember which time it was ... I never got the picture so I can’t even check. I do remember that I could hardly believe those amazing birds flying above our RV spot..... its so interesting that the airport was a good birding spot ... and I enjoy reading about how a “real” birder uses EBird. I’m afraid fir now anyway I’ve pretty much given up even trying to be one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie....I also recall the very first Scissor tailed I saw it was in New Mexico, and he was just sitting there pretty as you please, Some birds you just never forget that first look. Im happy they are expanding their range...now we have 3 counties with counts.

      Delete
  5. That scissor tail is a stunner. There has been many campaigns here to get local authorities not to mow and its produced lots of wonderful flowers and grasses along the roadsides. Also gardeners have been encouraged to have a no mow in May and this too has had good and often surprising results. One I have just read about where orchids were growing on the lawn. Our lawn is far more attractive with the grass left long....no orchids though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Mow some parts of my place and some I don't the birds depend on this long grass to bring insects in for food...I mow the parts where Sand Spurs will come up if I let it grow, and those are horrible sharp burrs that get in my dogs feet...I don't know why the roadways are mowed especially middle areas.

      Delete
  6. The font looks good, nice and easy to read. I do love that airports can hold such an abundance of wildlife, my local one does too! What a fantastic bird the Flycatcher is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, Im headed to your post right now just saw it,...My county Airport is difficult to bird, for some reason I can hear birds but the fence is so tall and the ground undulates and makes it hard to see. But birds see these are Prairies!

      Delete
  7. Ooh must be the season for county birding! Congrats on the Scissor-tailed, that's an excellent bird for your area. Glad you've had some fun outings lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I was happy to be able to add a county and a state bird at the same time! I will have to go back and do a better job in Union county next time around. Now the heat is on and it's baby raising time in the yard and in my local patches.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!