Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Whistle and a Trill

PLEASE stay away from each other!! Our older citizens deserve to be safe! If you work in a nursing home do not work until you know you are not carrying this virus. Demand to be tested. Thank you for caring. 

I'm trying to catch up to real time...hence the 2 posts per week...April and May was so good weather wise I think I was on an outing every day..so I have lots of fun things to share and chronicle about My Journey around this Sun. 

I kept seeing lists containing Bachman's Sparrow, not rare for this place or time... coming from the Sandhills NWR where I go pretty regularly.  Mainly because it's not crowded there.  You can actually hike a trail and not see anyone else.  Great for me to social distance.


The trouble I was having is this...people turned in the Bachman's Sparrow and this is a LARGE park, so even tho in ebird it is not sectioned off, probably should be, it's under the one name, Carolina Sandhills.  BUT most people put the area where they concentrated their efforts in the comments.  So upon reading those comments when I saw someone list a Bachman's I'd go the very next day in that area and get nothing...that just does not add up.  Maybe they were confusing the song with the many Chipping Sparrows in the refuge. 


chipping sparrow

Similar but the Bachman's Sparrow has a sharp whistle then a trill to the song...so 3 different days I searched for the bird till I was sick of listening to their song  had it memorized now!  Then I gave up. 

...it was the highlight of the Common Nighthawk, nesting  I suppose, as they zoomed over head making their Preent and Boom sound.  Here is a cropped shot of the Common Nighthawk...


If  you find it on the ground or on a tree it will look similar to a Whippoorwill...it's a Nightjar. 


So they can be up hundreds of feet in the air and it sounds like they are right over your head  I couldn't  get the Boom on video but it sounds to me like  an 18 wheeler zooming down the road but from a distance...And they make that sound with their wings...IN Person when you hear it at first you can't figure out what's going on...then it all comes together...you must click this and go hear for yourself...click the one that says Preent and BOOM.  At first I thought it was  Bigfoot following me. Because I hadn't heard one in  a while. 


I like to get off the trails and just go bushwacking sometimes, and I followed some birds upon this small ridge...the forest was so pretty back there...the bird sounds led me to a small creek trickling along, and some nice things..

By the creek it was lush and green...

Sensitive Brier

I pulled this Blue Headed Vireo out of the tangle of the canopy he seems to have some spiders web he is probably going to use on his nest building. 


So very curious, this is why I love birds they will interact with you given the right circumstances...


almost back to the waiting van from the ridge...

After all my fun with the Nighthawks,  I turned down one of the many roads of the refuge, this time it's Wire Road to the left.  I stopped and found quite a few of the rare but not to me, since I see them almost everytime I go here now,..the Red Cockaded Woodpecker, a success story as they are still on the endangered list.  



Im going to include some video here because static is not always as educational as the sight and the sound...so here is the Gray Catbird singing and preening his feathers...


Gray Catbird


After I come back to the main Wildlife Drive I cross the road and go to the other side of Wire Road and driving with my windows down I hear one! 

The Bachman's Sparrow!  One comes right up for my Lifelist photo and the other calls from a safe distance.  It may seem like a drab bird but to me it's like the prize egg...





wonderful...so not only is the song a way to know this is Bachman's it is the rusty head but not a rich color like Chipping Sp.  and the little rust colored stroke at the back of the eye, the non streaked chest...and the 2 tone bill... pinkish legs
watch him sing his song  press in the middle of the video...

P1110558
PLAY
You can hear the other one answer him in the distance...and  you can hear the Nighthawk preent also..

STOKED


So then Im off to the Oxpen Lakes area in the park.  






Before I knew it the sky changed...and the winds are picking up a bit and this thunderhead came up fast....


I see an Orchard Oriole singing in the trees, In case you wonder why we have so many orioles in our area? It's the wild plum and the blackberry! They love them. 


you can see this oriole has something on his beak that he wipes off, it looks like wild plum to me..

P1110657
Play

 A Buckeye Butterfly on the ground and this very striking dragon, maybe you know the species...


I came across this fledgling Blue Jay, his parent was calling nearby...


This is how baby birds get rescued when they don't need to be, if you can hear or see a parent nearby they are in good hands...





But then the wind really picked up and the rain came down in sheets!  Wow that came up quick...


P1110673
PLAY




What a day eh?? 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. So happy your found the bachman's sparrow and what a pretty song. But the blue headed viteo is beautiful. We have nighthawks here but I have never seen one. Lots of great looking birds and wow that storm sure did hit looked so cool over the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, this is the second year I've tried to find the Bachman's and this year I decided I would find it or bust! I was so happy, and now there's still others I need to track down. The storm came up so fast and it caused a lot of local flooding! The bad thing was I had to drive home in it, the gusting winds do affect the van since it's high up in the air.

      Delete
  2. That Cornell Lab bird app is good, I have the UK version of it on my phone. A nice area and the sound of the nightjar is amazing. Our night jars sound more like a small motorbike. You got back just in time as the storm was a powerful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I don't have the Cornell app on my phone, but I use the Audubon app...it's just as good...I do have ebird on my phone. I really jumped in just in time the drops came down really big and hard, the drive home was no fun either as the storm was going the same direction as me...

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Congrats on finding Bachman's Sparrow. I love your Nighthawk images, I have seen just one sitting in a tree. The Oriole is a favorite. Great videos. I am glad you were in the van at the time of the rain storm. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen...it's been a couple years of searching and finally!! And I did not find it in any of the areas as the other birders found it, so hopefully that is good meaning it's wide spread in the park, they like to be in Mature Pine forests, and that is why it's difficult to find, forestry here keeps most tree age to about 16 yrs hardly mature. But as I have said before they are not growing trees they are growing lumber.

      Delete
  4. Bachman's Sparrow would be a lifer for me. Now I want you to go out and find a Bachman's Warbler - be sure to get a picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David well you know the last known Bachman's Warbler was seen right here in S. Carolina, at Congaree Swamp which is about one hrs drive from me. It's out there probably!! I have actually played the callback hoping. Im really wanting to see the Henslow's Sparrow. Maybe in late Sept when they migrate to out coast.

      Delete
  5. Well done on the Sparrow, sometimes when you stop looking so hard they appear, great shots of it too! I don't know what the dragonfly is but it's a beauty. There was a Common Nighthawk in Northern Ireland last year and it briefly flew over London too, it was a very well twitched bird!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, that is how I see it too when you stop looking there it is, and once you find one it shows up everywhere..I liked your reference, well twitched bird...lol

      Delete
  6. Oh yay on the Bachman's Sparrow! I found some in Florida a few years ago and thought they were actually kinda pretty. Love the nighthawk and the baby bluebird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, they really are very beautiful, I love the rust and brown tone birds...and he was a spectacular example, just like the guide book!!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!