Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Offensive Day!

Do you ever have days where everything goes wrong?? Today Thursday the 4th of June...was one of those days for me...I have not been 100% present lately...so when things like this come along it shakes me awake...with a shudder. 

The photos in this post do not match the narrative so I will caption each

the Heron nest tree Santee Bluff had 3 successful nests.





I got up early and I knew a steamy humid day was on tap so I thought may as well head out early and get in some birding and my walk (which I do together) over with while it's cool...And I figured to go someplace nearby  where I could stop and pick up a few items I need on the way back.   I don't enjoy walking on the dirt road here like I used to for some odd reason, I want to go where there are no cars and no other people to annoy me!
(the whatcha' looking for people--grrr) 



Evening Primrose?



So I thought of the county park by the river I have not been there in a while...left home at 8:15 and was at the closed and locked gate of the park by 8:40...1st offense why is it closed???? WHO KNOWS!
dang... so what's plan B? I had no Plan B...


the guy who tromped into the field and flushed the Bobolink I came to see


there they go....

so I pulled back onto the highway and made a quick stop at the Food Lion grabbed a few fruit and nut items, for my on the go lunches, and then did a U turn back towards town and to Big Lots they have the coffee and chocolate bars  I like there pretty cheap.  I turned in and there was this tiny kitten standing crying in the entrance road...omg
2nd offense



female Bobolink


OH NO...he was heading toward the busy highway..I stopped jumped out and he hightailed and ran into the deep thick shrubbery surrounding the new car wash, they are a prickly holly of some kind with thorns on the end of each leaf...I called and called he was hiding and not coming out...then cars were pulling in and around me in an aggressive way so I moved my car into a parking space and went into Petsense.  There was a Animal Welfare lady in there they do adoptions there she had brought in 2 cats for adoption...and so I told her about the kitty...I don't think she cared she didn't promise to go look for the kitten :o((
3rd  offense


closest I got to some male Bobolinks

 I checked twice more and he never reappeared.  Poor kitty...I am not a cat person but I have rescued cats many times...Ok got my goods at Big Lots, check one more time, no kitten...and leave...so then I mentally form a new plan.  I think maybe since it's June now the racehorses are normally gone north by now, I can bird and walk at the Racetrack...so I drive over there...
Stables still full of horses!! And some on the way toward the track for their morning workout...
4th offense!
It's way too hot here for training racehorses this time of year are they nutz?

there they go again




So I make another U turn sit there and try to think what is close by....I decide to drive to visit Mom at the cemetery its about 6 miles north...it's a weekly thing I do and I normally bird there too so here we go...Mom's flowers still look good and the little wind chime I hung for her tinkles a sweet tune...but today they have mowers, weed eaters, and guys all over kicking up clouds of dust and noise...so no birding.  Even the normal 5 Northern Mockingbirds are hiding, I do make a mental bird by ear list. As I head out of Forest Lawn giving the maintenance crew a disgusted look and scowl.
5th offense And it's only 10 AM...
Bobolink hike lunch break

Not far away from the cemetery is the Revolutionary Battlefield where British General Cornwallis whipped General Gates and killed our Patriot hero Baron DeKalb.  Shot him dead!!  Did I tell y'all my sister did all the hard and arduous work of getting inclusion for US into the DAR? She sure did!! Thank you sis for all that hard work!! So our family was here long before that they lived in Plymouth Colony...AND in the Civil War we had ancestors who fought on BOTH sides shows how undecided and divided we really can be!! Im just happy the South lost the war! Can you imagine it the other way around?  


A male Bobolink with his back toward me

Anyways on the WAY to this bloodstained battlefield to go birding I was pretty far, but not far enough, behind a log truck who was barrel-assing, (that is a Patriot word of old) without a load, up Flat Rock Rd, and one of his many huge wheels spun a ga-zillion miles per hour flat rock right into my windshield...immediately made like a  quarter sized bulls eye !! Holy Guacamole!
 6th Offense!! 10:05 am.

Ring Neck Duck near the edge of the Bobolink field.

Not to be deterred from my morning BIRD TRIP AND WALK (Hell or high water type scenario) I park in the shade  shake my head curse like nutz about it, and take to the trail...NOW it's no longer cool like it would have been at 08:30 when I was turned back at the gates of the county park...it's actually rather steamy and hot...sweat rolls down my back and puddles in my eyeglasses...But I go anyways.  Using my cell phone to track me on ebird this is kind of a poor man's fit bit.  I walk 1.2 miles on various trails they have laid out in the site. 


Eastern Meadowlark...at Dobbins Farm Townville SC

I ran into a group of State Archaeologists who are out with some sort of metal detectors, looks similar to the kind they carry while trying to refind a bull moose with a huge life changing collar on his neck up in the Yukon...it's beeping so I guess they are finding artifacts.  No telling what all is out there...
NO offense in this part...unless you count running into other people.  



Male Dickcissel at Dobbins Farm

I see and hear some good birds...Ovenbirds, Wood Thrush, Yellow-Throated Vireo, and lots more! 28 species all toll and I enjoyed it. All my bad karma of the morning forgotten... I am completely soaked with sweat and so on the way back to the van Im plotting my next move which is go home and shower thinking,"okay tomorrow I will take the van into town and see about the windshield see what they suggest, maybe it can just have that chip stuff put on it..even tho it's the size of a quarter...and then when I arrive back the windshield is NOW completely cracked from top to bottom...I can almost hear it cracking from where I'm standing...like I'm standing over Crater Lake with a thin crust of ice under my feet...
Offense # 7

Grasshopper Sparrow Dobbins Farm 

So instead of going home, it's only a 12 minute drive from my location, I head back to town...in town I am told by the guy in the red shirt, after I tell him how this happened, that "You must have had your AC on, and that caused it to immediately crack"  Well yes on the ride here I did,  but I said "It cracked while it was parked for an hour when I took a walk, had not put on the ac at that point"
"OH, so it was sitting there all locked up, the heat  got it," he replied  
I think that was an Offense...#8. First it was too cold then it was too hot?? It can't be both can it?

Dickcissel male Dobbins Farm

SO he says to call my insurance company first and they will set it all up...but he warns me, "if there is any rust in there we can't do it, if  the previous installation was not properly done, that could create a problem".

Could this be #9???

So then I inform him that would be THEM 5 yrs ago! 
"SO if it's not right Y'all Did it"!  I think he scowled.  

OKAY...so that was my morning now past noon and heading to a steamy 1 pm...I call, insurance, good they set it up for Tuesday here at my home, hope it's not raining could be since there is a storm chugging in the gulf right now...So we'll see on that one.  Do you ever have those times in life when absolutely everything goes wrong due to one locked gate??? Open that gate and NONE of this would have happened!! And  you're wondering about the final Offense of this tragic morning??

MY CHOCOLATE BAR MELTED IN THE HOT CAR!!
this is like a 10 even if it's not really #10.. it's in the fridge chilling as I type.  



Yellow-Throated Vireo Battle of Camden Historic Site 

So these are photos of various bird trips I did back in May...Santee Bluffs is part of the Santee National Wildlife Refuge it's about 90 miles south of me, and then the Dobbins Farm is about 170 miles away in the northwestern part of the state in a place called Townville.  Quite a long drive, but it was a beautiful day and one tank of gas got me there and back. At  Dobbins farm I went there to see the White-rumped Sandpiper, and I did see it however I got no decent photos of the bird, due to the distance.  One lady was there with a scope and I got a look at 2 of them...we all got a look ,she was kind enough to use sterile wipes between lookers so that was nice.  SO a new lifer for me, and shared with  other 4 other interesting birders! 

--------------
Tuesday windshield all new ... just got it in this morning...last time I had one put in I was hit by a rock in 3 days it left a small ice chip as I called it and it never offered to crack...so Im knocking on wood!!

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

11 comments:

  1. Well that was one of those days for real. But you still managed to get some terrific photos of beautiful birds. The guy and the glass place was a winner. Glad it's fixed now. Do hope your having a better week so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I guess because I've been staying away from people I felt that people caused me issues, lol...BUT it's just life what can you do. NOW Im paranoid about getting behind anyone what if it happens again?? My insurance will probably say "NO Way" it was completely covered by insurance. The van had a cracked windshield when i bought it, so I took my own good time about replacing it, but then a cop stopped me and gave me a warning ticket..so the last thing I want is to be harassed by some bully cop over a cracked windshield...so this time I jumped right on it..he told me than if the split goes all the way across you can be ticketed.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I think everyone has had one of those bad days. I am glad your windshield was fixed and all is well. It is awful when you spot a bird and someone comes along and spooks it away. I love both the female and male Bobolink. The Dickcissel, Meadowlark and Grasshopper Sparrows would make my day. They are all beautiful. Congrats on your newest lifer, great bird. Take care and enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im trying to fit in some photos of places I went that don't really make up a whole post, so this rant blog was a good spot to combine these 2 trips I made to see some fun birds! Im happy to have that new one on my life list, that is the 3rd time I've tried to see it.

      Delete
  3. Evening Primrose is one of my favourites its that lovely yellow colour. When ever you mention the places you visit I have to Google them and look for them on Google Maps. I see that Dobbins Farm is a listed Sensitive site on ebird.
    I looked for a Bobbolink on You Tube and its a very attractive bird with a nice song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping one day I will get a decent photo of a bobolink I had that opportunity if that guy hadnt spooked them, he didnt creep up he just plowed thru I was pretty livid actually...lol Yes Dobbins Farm is a working farm and so we have to not get in the way of any farm work...and we have to bird from the road.

      Delete
  4. Phew what a day, I hate those kind of days, it's like you're on a roll but not in a good way! At least you got to see some birds despite everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def was a bad roll Pam..lol I like the way you put that. Now Im so scared a rock will hit my window again I guess a little bit paranoid about it! Because it happened in the blink of an eye.

      Delete
  5. Quite a saga. It is really interesting that people now carry sanitary wipes in order to share scope views. I had never thought of that. Since Covid-19 I have not let anyone other than Miriam use my scope, and I suspect that most birders would have been unwilling to do so anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David yes she offered, I would never ask...and she came prepared. I think of getting a scope but it's not a high priority for me.

      Delete
  6. Well, some days are definitely like that. But at least you ended it on a high note ... a beautiful life bird . (And hopefully the chocolate bar reconstituted itself in the refrigerator.). I never even thought about the problem with shared scopes. But yes.... we won’t be using the big ones at some of the platforms in parks where we walk in Florida.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!