Thursday, June 25, 2020

Another DIY project!

Not long ago I told you I had brought a turtle home with me, I was hiking and that trail crosses a highway...on my way back from the hike right by the side of that road was this turtle.


I didn't even take a photo of him when I found him because the poor little guy was injured.  AND ants had gotten on him so I brushed off all the ants and I grabbed him up and headed to my van where I could help him

 I had some black tape in my van and I put that tape around his wound to stabilize the shell...
Until I could get him home.  


He had his head, neck, all four legs and tail tightly tucked up into his shell.....I identified this turtle as a Striped Mud Turtle and read they are omnivores. They have 2 hinged sections on bottom...and they live in wet swampy areas and even ditches that hold water.   I carefully and gently removed the black tape you can see a bit of it sticking off to one side in the above photo and there was still some bleeding So I gently cleaned the wound and prepped him for Gluing! 



His shell was broken in 2 places at the back...yes I said Gluing.  The breaks were pretty clean no bits had fallen off so I thought it would glue nicely.  Now Im not telling you to do this but I have heard it's successful and seen it done on TV so there you go!....I used the gel type Gorilla super glue which is easier to apply.  And is more precise.  Once I cleaned and dried the area I applied a line of glue along the breaks and under the edge of the shell where it was broken also...and I held him in my hands keeping light pressure on the sides of his shell till the glue took hold...

 I didn't take any video or stills of the actual repair steps as it was more important that I used both hands to do it right...I decided to stick a little paper towel on to help increase the strength of the repair, it's only adhered along the fine bead of glue.


Here he is after 10 minutes of set up time, and the pieces fit together really well...the shell was still attached to his skin underneath...poor guy I put him in this clear bin overnight with a pan of water which he did get in he was wet once when I checked him...and I put some lettuce, strawberries, and one dead wasp I found in for him to snack on...he did not eat anything!  I put that little tea box in for him to have a place to hide if he wanted and he sort of rearranged and made himself a bed in there and got under the greens I had put in for his bedding..


In the morning he was trying his best to climb out of the bin and the shell had held very well I pulled one layer of the 2 ply paper towel off and inspected and it looked like a good seal no bleeding and he was active...so I drove him over to a nearby swamp to release him...I had some errands to do that day and didn't want to stress him out by keeping him captive any longer than needed so I made the decision to release him within a 5 minute drive!

turtle release
Sorry it's a little blurry           PLAY


He stuck his head out of the shell and was looking around when we parted ways...


turtle release
Play

Good luck little fella!  Since this turtle I've moved one more off roadways, and  stood guard while another BIG snapper was crossing at the Refuge, he was not in any danger of being hit...but I stood guard just the same.  

The only time I recall my MOM liking a snake was one day we were on our way home from shopping...in this spot where a creek runs under the road I saw a beautiful Copperhead snake just edging out to cross the road he was as big around as a human arm...I did a u turn and put my car across the road until he made it safely to the other side, she told me she had never realized that even a deadly snake sometimes needs to be protected and she seemed to change her attitude about  snakes she had been so afraid of after that.  She often said "I will never forget you putting your car across the road to protect that snake he was so beautiful",,, she watched him thru her window as he crossed and she was amazed at his beauty.  A life changing moment can happen when you least expect it. 


How cute is this dozing calf? So sweet and innocent,


can we all just be Vegan? All life matters...



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. That's certainly a DiY project with a difference. Lets hope the turtle survives and doesn't try crossing the road again. All animals have a purpose even if its sometimes only to be part of the food chain. Only a few moments ago I rescued a trapped moth from the house and released him outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave the spot I replaced him is on a dirt road and at least people will be going slow and hopefully he will not need to cross it. How right you are, a moth has a purpose and is enjoying a life experience.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Wow, that turtle must be happy you came along..I am always glad to hear of a happy ending. I hope the mud turtle lives a long time, thanks to you! The calf is sweet, cute photo. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, this little guy was about to become ant food so Im also glad I came along when I did...at least I double his chances of surviving. This has been a good summer for turtles so far we've had rain almost every day..

      Delete
  3. What A Precious Little Interaction - Good On Your - Serious Karma Coupons

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, I was happy to be able to help this little fella get on with his life, and hopefully he will live long and prosper.

      Delete
  4. Your awesome Sondra, that poor little guy would have suffered a horrible death between his injury and the ants. Hope he does well and stays out of trouble. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I am not Bat Woman but I try at hope for the best it's all we can do really. He def was on a sad path without some help.

      Delete
  5. That was a wonderful thing to do...you are so kind and so smart to know how to fix him. Good heart, mad skills! ..... I loved the mom and snake story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sallie, I have it in me to try and make things right when they are not the Libra side I always say balance is the best thing...Mom inherited her fear of snakes from her mother who would almost faint if she saw one.

      Delete
    2. I came back to read your previous post b/c I was too tired to appreciate it when I was here last night ...that is a wonderful pond you found.. we came across something similar on our trip to the Calif. Coast last summer...posted, but easy to see tons of birds from a roadside pullout. I was hoping the landowner knew what they had and now I’ll probably never find out. ... I enjoyed reading your goals ... I set short term ones (mentally) every night...otherwise I just sit and read blogs all day ))).

      Delete
    3. Thank you Sallie, I do believe goals are important and they don't have to be big, just simple things make me happy. The vernal pool is doing pretty good but the ducks disappeared there are 2 pools but I can't see the second one from the road...I wish I had a drone..LoL

      Delete
  6. A good job Sondra, hopefully the little guy does well! What a sight it must be to see snakes crossing the road, i've never seen a snake in the UK, we only have three species and they're not easy to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I keep forgetting there's hardly any snakes in the UK...this time of year I see one almost every time Im out birding..most of them are harmless.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!