Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Field Trips!

..literally in Fields! 


I've been out and about alone socially distanced as normal for me to places a couple or less hours away and continuing to get more hiking in while our weather is still nice and cool. That intro means this post is gonna be just stuff I saw here and there!  More mixed media, hodge-podge and hopefully move me closer to real time!


 April 14th, I visited Carolina Sandhills and I saw this Wild Turkey standing by the lake and before he realized I was there he moseyed around enjoying his time feeding...it almost looks like a starry night...

On that same day I checked out this Eastern Bluebird house number 30 while looking for some grassland/verge birds and here is how that went...

Prairie Warbler
press play...


One of the fields I checked was so pretty on that day...the light and the rolling hills it was breath taking...and then a few days later in the County Riverside Park reopened so I visited there...the fields were alive with yellow...



There is a river here and a bridge...under that bridge Cliff Swallows have a breeding colony...There is a lot of traffic noise as cars pass overhead so I lowered the volume on this video... of a couple residents! 

cliff swallow

Near the edge of the field in the trees, I found a very difficult American Restart, he refused to come down to my level....so very hard to get a good look at this magnificent migrant.  



He is black, orange, yellow and white!  I wish I could have seen more than his belly!  


Then I took a hike to Lake 12 at the Refuge on April 28th.  





This is a Summer Tanager another beautiful migrant, the female is calling in the background...I think this is  her young he looks like a juvenile. 

summer tanager
Play

Near the end of April,  I took a hike in a field of wildflowers...it was so amazing, except my socks got filled with all sorts of prickly stuff...took me an  hour to pick it all out...


                                                       Variegated Fritillary

Coreopsis


Eastern Kingbird hunting for moths and butterflies, ut-oh



Field Wildflowers up close


Female Commom Yellowthroat hunting insects, while I hunt for birds to enjoy...

Oxpen Lakes Area found out there is a game camera mounted for a direct view of where I stood and readjusted my clothing...OMG! Don't ever take for granted you are not being watched...I thought about confiscating the camera but really it was pretty far away but my point is there is no escape the prying eyes of mankind.


Thistle seedhead...

A Common Nighthawk took to the sky in broad daylight!

The telling white bars on the oversized wings 

Around the first of May,  a wetland I check on a weekly basis in my 5 mile radius, gave me a beautiful Prothonotary Warbler, he flew right at me, I may have inadvertently been close to a nest..


Beaverdam Creek Wetland (I named this wetland it has no official name) is the place I filmed the Pileated Family. 


I found one leucistic Indigo Bunting had me fooled for a minute but his back still had most of the normal color I see...


May 1st, I went to bird one more of my unbirded counties...so glad I chose the place I did....and You'll have to wait till next time to learn about my visit to Lynches River County Park, in Florence County. I drove the rural roads to get there which I enjoy doing when I am able to make it work...


...and I see many scenes like this I call these the Tobacco Roads....It's reminiscent to find old homesteads like this still in use...much like my Grandma's farm back in TN.  Of course its not like it was, it was modernized and in my opinion that destroyed it.  Many homesteads like this still stand in rural counties complete with contents I WOULD love to do a walk thru and just go back in time s simpler way of life where at the end of the day you felt like you had done your best to survive and you had that feeling of life is good.  


So that's up next!  We had a couple rain days so Im posting a mid week extra post in an attempt to catch up soon the weather will become sticky and I probably won't be out and about as much but we'll see!

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.


12 comments:

  1. Hello, wonderful report and photos/video from your outing. I have a few favorite birds and photos. The Prothonotary Warbler is a beauty and the Nighthawk in flight is cool. The wildflowers are gorgeous. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen...I took some highlights from quite a few of my nature walks at the end of April...We are having a rainy period so Im trying to whack out some blogs and catch up!

      Delete
  2. WOW! Sondra, your photos are out of this world. You sure have been keeping busy with hiking and finding all these wonderful birds and flowers. But the first picture was just stunning like diamonds sparkling everywhere. Then the little cabin you now that grabbed my heart. Can you camp at any of these places?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, no none of these have camping areas, wish they did. The little old cabin was just a roadside find, I pulled over and took some photos of it. There is a lot of old places still standing and some in use.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful countryside Sondra, I always think this time of year and May in particular is the best month as the flowers are in bloom and the trees have that fresh greenery of new leaves. Self isolating and not meeting up with others is beginning to pall a bit now, and I look forward to being able to meet up with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave hope you can resume your normal soon, actually my life has not changed at all. All my family is gone now, and I don't hang out with friends anymore anyways, not many women my age like tromping around in the woods as a way of spending time together...so I learned if I want to do it my way, best to do it alone...I think Im a hermit!

      Delete
  4. Great post, you're lucky to have so many places like this you can visit. Places like these in the UK get busy with people! Oops re the camera, you certainly wouldn't expect one there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pam, yes I is good to have some places where you can escape humanity...but even when we think we are alone, we are not!!

      Delete
  5. I Am So There - What A Magical World - Thanx For Sharing These - Enjoy The Weekend

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Travis sometimes we just have to get as far off the beaten path as we can...and on the days in my post here I think I did that!

      Delete
  6. That first picture looks like a Van Gogh painting! Thank goodness that through all the turmoil of Covid-19, social distancing and the controversy and violence stirred up by as simple an issue as wearing a mask, that you have wonderful areas in which to find solitude, solace and enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, this is one reason I keep on staying in this area...the minds are closed but there is still open space for one to roam while the work on their own mind. I think everyone should wear a mask when indoors around others to be certain we are not part of the problem and are part of the solution. Outdoor social distancing should do the trick.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!