Sunday, April 26, 2020

Bee and Oxpen Lakes

Please take note on my sidebar I have added a link to a Petition I have started to try and bring awareness to and stop the killing of Beaver by the USDA. it will only take a minute for your participation.  A donation goes to the World Wildlife Fund. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>

I am healthy and have stayed away from everyone.  I am wondering if its possible this is what I had in December? Based on what my symptoms were and what they are saying now... I never went to a DR because I don't even have a DR. Something I need to do....BUT if you recall I reported I had a Cold/Flu for the first time in like 14 yrs! I thought my immune system was shocked after losing Mom and dealing without her during the Holidays etc.  My son and I both had it, my sisters who we were in contact with did not get sick...so who knows. I heard people were recently tested and had antibodies and they reported being sick back in Dec some as far back as last November. This story of this virus is far from over and still a mystery. 


cute little Chipping Sparrow from the backyard

And a Yellow Rump Warbler was right overhead.

Since I'm at home I treated myself to this delicious flat bread with home made dip and Coconut Milk smoothie...It was delicious!  Add a little honey, vanilla, strawberries, banana, maple syrup and let me say it was heavenly...









During this time period I went to explore and hike a different area of the Sandhills NWR, the Bee and Oxpen Lakes area.  





I saw NO ONE and did not have to bother with social distancing, Which was nice to just forget about it for a while!  Im pretty sure this Yellow-Throated Warbler was more than 6 ft away I wanted him to come closer for a better look but he is pretty from any distance. 




He almost looks like a different bird from the back 



The sky was a bit dull...


Lake Bee


Brown Headed Nuthatch checked out this hollow in the tree...


And I saw quite a few Pine Warbler staring down from the trees above me,  In one area there's carnivorous plants! These Pitcher Plants work by trapping insects in the pools of water that stand inside and then taking nutrients from that insect as it decays, I know it's morbid but it's nature....can you see the water?  And they have a bloom stalk getting ready to flower...




And I found some Dwarf Iris in bloom nearby 

 

Wetlands are one of my favorite habitats, 


Someone else seems to like it also...I don't know if beaver are currently active in his area but I hope so..




This viewing deck had to be rebuilt a couple years ago...when  flooding messed it up..


I had lunch after my hike, and the view is really nice and a lovely breeze found it's way under the picnic cover.  


Just a sandwich, chips, and unsweet tea, think I had a Laura Bar in there too.  As I ate lunch I spotted more birds...in the nearby trees and bushes.  

Red Bellied Woodpecker...


And the Downy Woodpecker both knocking on wood while I ate...they were digging grubs out of the trees they visited...while this 


  Eastern Phoebe was on lookout with his keen eyesight for any insect that flew into range...actually we were all having our lunch...And after that I moved over to the Oxpen Lakes Area..and took another hike...



In this area I saw an Osprey diving into the lake, I could never got his dive on camera just his prep for it... Also saw quite a few Song and Savannah Sparrow hanging out...

Osprey preparing to dive....


Savannah, 





Found this Wild Turkey Tail Feather for my collection...

An Eastern Kingbird

Well as you guessed this post was written prior to my little friend's passing.  I try to create my posts and then they are scheduled to post in the order they are written. This ism to post on the Sunday  instead of Friday, the one prior was supposed to post last Friday and it just posted Wednesday.  This way I can stay only 2 weeks behind.  I am still hearing my friend all over the place and I reach for his bowl when it's feeding time. 

 I don't want to erase his having been  here I want to remember.   I saw Snapfish had a special on 8 x 11 photo books, 35% off so I made one of Casey and ordered some glossy prints of the same shots I just never have photos printed anymore...so I had only one or 2 actual prints of him but many digital shots of him...I can't wait for my book to arrive.  With the discount my book is 22 pages and contains 58 photos and Im getting 58 glossy 4 x 6 prints also includes shipping $27.  Pretty good deal.  I'll have to let you know about the book  when it arrives.  

Casey, Crater Lake, OR

This is the photo I've had on my screen since the day it was taken....and it will stay.  My State is easing up the restrictions I'm not sure it's a good idea I will continue to steer clear of people!  

For the record I think the demonstrations instigated by Trump was one of the most ridiculous displays of Narcissistic Control I've ever witnessed.  Talk about Flying Monkeys.  Kinda reminds me of Jonestown, if he told them to drink the poison they would.  IF those people want to go back to their old routine I'm sure no one could care, but don't expect everyone to agree...meaning your local businesses have the right to resume business as normal when they see fit. Have you ever seen such WHINERS?? wa-wa.


                                                                  
PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

15 comments:

  1. I signed the petition and as far as I can tell it worked, even though I am in Canada. I declined to contribute but rest assured I will make a donation here at home. Congratulations on taking on this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, when I went to my beloved Beaver Pond one of the notices to MURDER MY beaver was up I can not deal with the pain of doing nothing.

      Delete
  2. Love that picture of Casey!

    You have the most beautiful birds there. And the flowers are great to. I tried to sign on to the no kill thing and it all went away. I'll try again later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that JO, sometimes this technology thing is for the birds!! Please do try again every one counts...

      Delete
  3. I signed the petition (I think!) Lovely to have the place to yourself for your walk, i've noticed more birds around on the local walks i've had, they seem to be taking over now theirs fewer people about. What a good idea, i've got photobooks from Snapfish and they are good quality and a really nice memento :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, yes you're right the critters are getting a break from the crowds, at least in some spots. They re opened up the fishing areas so I compete with fishermen to get a good vantage point from the bank to view birds. Thanks for signing the petition.

      Delete
  4. Hello I love your photo of Casey. The photo book sounds like a great deal.
    The park looks like a great place for bird watching, I love all the birds. Great sightings. The iris and pitcher plant are beautiful. Stay safe and healthy. Have a good day and great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I am excited to get my photo book it has shipped already so should get it soon. I ordered photobooks a couple of times one for some of my favorite bird shots and one of a trip my sister and I took to Zion, Arches, and Canyonlands NP. I had one copy mailed to her so it was a surprise for us both. Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. That’s such a good idea to have the book. It will be good to have it at hand all the time instead of having to search through your posts and digital files. I love that your favorite photo of him was at Crater Lake . ..... that was a beautiful place to hike and boy, birds around here sure don’t have one bit of trouble maintaining at least the recommended social distance from me. I wish they wouldn’t take it so seriously ))). .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sallie, I received the book it's really nice, I am jotting notes around the photos, and Im going to pass it around the family and ask each one to write a special note for Casey on the back page. He was loved by the whole family and everyone who knew him.

      Delete
  6. Yes I signed the petition too, not sure if being outside the USA will count. We rarely print off photos now with digital storage. We used to put albums together when the kids were young and they loved them, in fact they still do now and often get them out when they visit. I make flatbreads with yoghurt and self raising flour in equal measures adding salt and herbs to your taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will help Dave and than you for signing. I like your idea of making your own flatbread mine was store bought but I made the spread.

      Delete
  7. I did enjoy seeing all of your photographs here.
    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!