Friday, April 10, 2020

Rookery


Last Friday I checked on the Eagle chick SOLO, he is hanging out at the nest, all seems well from this distance..



He may be without other Eagles but he has friends to keep him company..,
On Saturday I drove to a neighboring county and along the way I happened to see out of the corner of my eye this pond...all that white stuff in the trees is Great Egrets on Nests!  There was a chain across the entrance and it is posted by a Hunt Club, no one was around so I did trespass long enough to snap a few photos...



I spotted at least 35 on nests and that was only a guess as some of the pond was not visible from my location...


Check out the beautiful blue eggs they have, in reading up on it, 25-27 days incubation so I have to return about 1st week of May to see YOUNG ones! 


Normally they build higher off the ground  some of these are quite low  they are surrounded by water that may be the difference...I don't think Raccoon would get at them in the water?
I know some water  snakes may try for sure...


I read that both sexes help with incubation of the eggs...and they both help with the feeding of the chicks...by regurgitating.


I also saw a large number of Anhinga possibly they are nesting here also along with Gallinule.   




This is such a treat to see...a Rookery right by a busy highway too....


Some Wood duck were also nesting

                                                                      Male Wood Duck




                                                                          Common Gallinule

I drove on to Lake Wallace, and someone had been feeding Mallard, and these American Coots decided they could do with a handout so they came rushing out of the water,,,,


Then they rushed right back into the water...lol




A nice Pied Bill Grebe came close by ,,,still I didn't get a sharp image, I'm  trying to figure out the Camera I purchased, I wasn't sure I'd actually keep it, I've had a hard time getting used to it, even tho it's just the next year up from the one I've been using.  I will keep it but I continue to learn how to use it.  I think I could benefit from using a tripod,  Birds in the trees still have to be hand held.  For the video capability alone it is worth the price I paid for it.  The Menu is so huge and getting things set up- the way I want has been a big learning curve for me, it is a point n shoot 4K Panasonic Lumix FZ-80.  I've missed some great shots as it focused on the background and not the bird I had clearly in the focus area...So anyways keep trying eh?

I made one more stop at the Greater Pee Dee Heritage Preserve.  It's just over into the neighboring county of Darlington.  Heard a lot of birds overhead...and the cool forest canopy was very enchanting! There was skeeters tho! The first part is a drive thru a swamp.  


And found these beautiful lilies in the edge of the woods..






The road continues on to the Great Pee Dee River as far as I could tell but I had to turn back as the day was getting late and I have 3 doggies waiting on me at home..







 I hope I can come back and continue to explore the road goes I read a flood washed out the little bridge and the road beyond that may not be passable,  Since it's been dry lately, getting stuck may not be an issue...so I will  return to see what the deal is!

Here is another little look at the Rookery Pond. 



That's all I have for this post...be safe but stay engaged in life.  

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Now that things have greened up and the birds are nesting you sure have lots to see. I love the Egrits such and elegant bird. Lots to see around your area. Your new camera is doing a great job and yes lots to learn. I am going to have to relearn my camera since I really never use it anymore. Keep posting these great pictures. I have been putting out oranges but have not seen the verdin again, but the gila woodpeckers sure do love them. And I only say the hummer once. Maybe I'm just missing them have had to pretty much stay indoors because of high winds and allergies are nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, we had really strong cold wind yesterday I took a walk and I was chilled to the bone! I forgot to get a bag or oranges, thanks for reminding me...I hope the Verdin returns. Have a Good Easter if you celebrate.

      Delete
  2. Great shots of the Egret and those eggs, a beautiful colour. I had never appreciated the Egrets colouring at the top of its bill. The weather looks good there Sondra and plenty of greenery. Around here May is my favourite month mainly because everything is so green and there are so many shades of green. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Dave, The details on the birds face is just amazing they are so beautiful and the eggs really blu me away I had never seen any before! I really hope I can see some chicks when I go back to check on them.

      Delete
  3. Hello, great shots from the rookery. The blue eggs are so pretty. Love the Eagle, Egrets and the turtle. Great shots of the Anhinga, Coots and the Grebe. The lilies are beautiful! Wonderful post and photos. Wishing you a happy and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I know you get to watch the Herons as they nest, and that must be so thrilling! I hope you enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. What is more enchanting than egrets in breeding plumage? Not much in my opinion. And to think we almost exterminated them for their feathers. Is there no limit to our madness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that as I saw them going about their life in such a gentle and purposeful way how could someone look at that lovely creature then destroy them? Something is serious wrong with that. Thank you David.

      Delete
  5. That rookery is amazing and I’m in awe you got pictures of the wonderful eggs. I’ve seen rookeries, but never inside the nest. A little miracle. What a great place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, and thank you it was like a wonderland to me!

      Delete
  6. The Egrets are beautiful birds and fantastic to find them nesting. I'm glad you're able to get out and about. Our exercise is limited now to a local walk (no travelling by car to walk elsewhere) once a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, no travel by car? That makes it really hard...but we can't walk to grocery stores they are too far away so I guess that's the difference.

      Delete
  7. Those lilies are stunning! And very cool to see the egret eggs, I had no idea they were blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue eggs was such a surprise! Im looking forward to checking on these birds in a couple weeks.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!