Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Small big day

The Global Big Day just happened to occur on the day I had time to bird the day away so I hit all the nearby patches...it was a sunny awesome day! 

I finished up with 37 species and 313 individuals.  Didn't take a whole lot of photos but I'll share some of what I saw.  I thought I was up to date with my blog posting, this one is a little later than it should be cause I wanted to squeeze in the last post that was a bit long for sure.  My first stop was Fravert Reservoir...


I saw a lot of the same ducks that have been there all along, like Cinnamon Teal, Ring Neck Duck, Northern Shovelers, American Coot, Gadwall, A Wigeon, and more and this day a new edition the Blue Wing Teal.  And eBird said "not reported" so that was a surprise. There was a male and a female. 

Blue winged teal


  
cinnamon teal swimming away....

Ring neck Duck

Lots of Western Kingbirds now stand sentry in the trees looking for any insect to move




My next stop was the walking path in town called the Rifle Centennial Park.  I didn't walk much of it, I was curious to see this section because it's the beginning of the Trail.  



Right inside the city limits is the Rodeo Grounds, on this day they had a horse show going on probably roping, and barrel racing stuff...it was loud and noisy!  

Found a Song Sparrow and and this Evening Grosbeak not far off the trail....


The next stop was the Rest Area...checked the Osprey nest 



And the Goslings are growing and multiplying! 



....2 Bullock's Orioles this time I got a shot of one...



Had lots of Yellow Warblers and more Northern Flickers...




 the House Wren 



 next stop was Harvey Gap...



The water here is such a lovely shade of blue green.  These Kids were intent on having some fun.  


they pumped and pumped...Meanwhile I saw A. Wigeon on the water, more Western Grebe and one Common Loon still around.  That was when my camera died...I  forgot to charge my battery the day before.  



I headed over to Rifle Gap found about 16 species there  60 Canada Geese, 18 Western Grebe, and 15 Eared Grebe,  In the bushes some Pink Sided DE Junco, Barn, Violet -Green and Tree Swallows all over the place there, and more of the regular gang.    



My Big Day ended here...Took this one the next day...

Pretty House Finch 






PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Darn, that camera! I got out yesterday, too! Trying to get a little spring migration action in, but it was relatively quiet. Everything is late! Still, enjoyed the day, breaking in a new, enthusiastic birder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah to a new birder! We must keep the ball rolling.

      Delete
  2. A nice count and very nice to be able to include Osprey in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Osprey nest is so much fun to check on each time I'm in that area and she is used to human activity.

      Delete
  3. The goslings are adorable and there are quite a few. Some great new birds to me and some I have seen on your posts before. But the wax wings are really cool. Got a kick out of the house wren's but hanging out of the house. But that huge blue swan has to be the biggest swan I have ever seen. Hate when my battery dies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo, thanks as always for the nice comment...That wren has been fun to watch he/she sings for me every time I visit.

      Delete
  4. Hello, great report and outings. You had a nice variety of sightings. I love the Oriole, Waxwings and the pretty Teal. I would love to see the Western Kingbird. The goose family looks huge. Enjoy your day and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, the Goslings are doubled since this I must try to get photos! They were not in the usual place last time I checked they may have moved to the river.

      Delete
  5. House Wrens often seem to nest in holes on the underside of large branches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a wonderful Big Day. I didn't even realize we were birding on that day, but was glad we did. The Canada Geese have a huge family!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!