Friday, May 25, 2018

Grand Mesa camp

The Grand Mesa takes us up over 10,000 ft...the van was straining to make it up the grade so I took my time.  This is my first visit up there this time of year so I was surprised to see a lot of unmelted snow laying about. 



I had hoped it was fully open but it wasn't the Visitors Center still closed with dirty snow banks surrounding it...but nature is never closed!  I enjoyed stopping to view the lakes that I could get to...like this overlook of Island Lake.


Looks as if lots of snowmobiles zoomed over the lake this past winter...

I stopped at Cobbett Lake above, for a lunch break and was immediately joined by this Steller's Jay, he jumped right down to let me know he wanted some of what I had, 








so I shared some chips with him...




And a little Gray Headed Dark Eyed Junco also came to see what he could scavenge from my visit. 


This drop of water got on the lens of the camera it really made an interesting orb on this photo...


There is no bad view here....


The hiking trails are still quite muddy so I didn't go far...I brought one pair of hikers with me!


 Ward Lake Campground  was not officially open, but was open with no services and FREE!.
.So I was glad to find a good spot to spend the rest of the day and night. 


Had a nice conversation with a local logger who was camped nearby, he told me about the beetle problem that is killing many of the trees here.  The mature trees fall victim to the Pine Beetle and the Spruce Beetle along with Bark Beetle, the first infestations occurred in 1996, now more than 1.1 Million acres are infested. 


We got the attention of a Gray Jay...not just one but 3 of them! (now they call them Canada Jay)



nicknamed the "camp robber" one jumped right in my frying pan when I was camped up in the Olympic National Forest in Washington.  


and more Stellers' to challenge them, but guess who won the big battle??




American Robins!!  I have never seen Robins be aggressive but they sure were!

It was cool and later after a walk Casey and I went into out cozy home away from home for an afternoon siesta and right about that time I saw a flash of gold...and low and behold 




The female Pine Grosbeak! Lifer and that's about the time a flash of red smacked me...the bright beautiful male Pine Grosbeak!



#440

I have been wishing for this bird on every trip to high country.  And they came right to me, poked around a while; the female looks to be gathering some nesting material. 

A text book example of this species...




Later some nice light hit the trees across the lake...


and not much later the sun began to go down...we had a meal and called it a day...




And it got COLD we had frost on our tub of camp "stuff" when we got up...while I made coffee Casey tried to warm up...



the face of bliss...


...and another visitor eyed our camp...


he tries to look nonchalant, but I see what he is up to...


Ok little buddy time for your  breakfast...or someone else may get it...



A Mohawk sporting  White Crowned Sparrow (dark lored) gave us a backwards glance...



And when we packed up we drove over to Land's End road it is still closed, so I took a short walk it was too muddy to enjoy but I saw about 12 American Pipits





I saw my first Pipit right here in this area last year....so I'd saw this is a reliable spot to find them.  




Before you know it it was time to drive down off the Mesa and we exited to the South, at Cedaredge.  


 And another visit to the Fruitgrower's  Reservoir North Causeway in Orchard City...I'm going to split this day up

so that will be next!



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

15 comments:

  1. Hello, looks like a beautiful place to visit. The birds are awesome, congrats on your lifer. I would like to see the pretty Pine Grosbeak. The views and landscapes are gorgeous. I love the Cute Casey getting warm in the blanket. happy birding, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I had high hopes of getting this birds, and was thrilled when it came right to me! That completes the Grosbeaks in the Continental USA. There's 2 Mexican species that can occur in the US, but rare. (the Crimson Collared and the Yellow) and then there is Hawaii of course!

      Delete
  2. So many pretty birds! And nice vistas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, So much to see in CO one could see a different vista every day for the rest of life.

      Delete
  3. I have travelled this area and it is spectacular indeed. I always think that Pine Grosbeaks look like northern parrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even prettier in July when the Columbine are blooming....
      Im happy to have the Grosbeaks secured in my memories!

      Delete
  4. I know I have said this before but what a beautiful country we have. I hope there will be enough force of the people to keep them safe and always beautiful. The new birds you have found are so gorgeous and some are totally new to me. The picture with the water spot is really cool and it looks like the Jay is also fascinated by it too. To bad about all the beetles the more trees they kill the more fire hazard there will be. Love seeing all the snow still around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo you said it...we need a big force with the Political Will to protect what we have...the logger told me they go in and cut the infected trees to use as lumber and to prevent fire...but they can't keep up.

      Delete
  5. I love the line 'nature never closes'! Such a lovely place and some great photos, the views are stunning and the birds charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is always open 24/7 we can always count on that. I so much enjoyed your trip to Bempton, what a place!

      Delete
  6. Nice! A Stellar's Jay would be a lifer for me! Such a lovely trip. No flies on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, I'm amazed at all you see. Jays are such scroungers -- but I love them. We see the Stellars and Grays sometimes in Oregon, but usually just the scrub. Would love to see a pippit. Casey looks cold, but I'm sure the blanket and the warm car helped quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and he had on his sweater under that blanket too!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!