Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Day Trips

Today is the 5th the official BIG Day of birding I logged like 5 lists and had a fun day I'll share that next time.  As you can guess I post dated my last 3 blog posts from the library It's been a while since I've had regular internet access...I hope to catch up on your blogs.  This will post on the 8th.  

I miss reading blogs when I can't!   No matter what people have going on there's always something interesting about  other people's lives!  Is it like a small peep hole into another world?  So Anyways not a whole lot going on here at the current.  My mom and I have finished our month  up on the "hill" and now we have moved in with my sis in the town of Silt! So we have perks...like TV and Internet, endless amounts of water, and other goodies.  I missed the internet more than TV I really only watch Walking Dead on Sunday night.  Not very sophisticated but I like Sci-Fi and Action so it fills that niche for me. I've got to catch up on that.
 

   Deer resting on the hill



snow storms rolling though



Rain rolling in 

Mom and I enjoyed a couple day trips when the weather behaved to check out some spots a little farther afield, and we've also been keeping an eye on the "local patches."  Migrants arriving....All the swallows (Tree, Northern Rough Winged, Barn, Violet Green,, Cliff, and Bank) have arrived, along with the White Throated Swifts and the Purple Martins.  Sorry no photos of the swifts they are just too swift!  



Tree Swallows

Other migrants like the Yellow Warbler...back home on Silt Island Park I saw them there last year.  



... a Black Phoebe and many Red Shafted Flickers seem to be nesting in one of the many cavities in the big trees. 







... the Loons at Harvey Gap continue to grace me with their beauty. 





When the sun is out is is amazing here..

Mother Osprey at the Rest Area is sitting on eggs, and one day we had a Tundra Swan show up there.  








tundra swan

Fravert Reservoir has Yellow Headed Blackbirds...along with Ring Neck Duck, Cinnamon Teal, Green Wing Teal, Northern Shovelers, American Coots and at least 2 Gadwall hopefully we will see some young before you know it.



yellow headed blackbird

Another Sunny day!





... the Canada Geese they have little fluffers already!


                                                             Get away from my babies!

I had a free afternoon so I drove up along Elk Creek.  Public Land is up there...it's such a beautiful area. 




And now we see why it's called Elk Creek!  25 in total. 



and deer




Last week we drove about 2 hrs south to the Fruitgrowers Reservoir in Orchard City.  The north part of the lake is good Sandpiper habitat ... saw this mixed flock...




these interior Willets had me fooled because they are so much smaller than the Willets I'm used to seeing on the East Coast! In fact everything looks smaller. 

Along with the Willets were Dowitchers.  I think Short billed but reported long/short cause I wasn't sure.  




A fellow birder felt the same.  Long Billed is the more common ones at that location.  But just 2 days before a flock of Whimbrel was there and that is not common for the area either.  Dipped on them, I guess they stopped only for one day.   Also had these White Pelicans on the water...they looked smaller too. 

This flatten skin "horn" occurs during breeding season on both sexes and it is shed later. 

A couple Common and Caspian Terns were hanging out in that mixed flock 
Along with 4 Wilson's Phalarope.  Horrible photos due to the wind picked up it affects my camera.  


                         Common Terns with Wilson's Phalarope no one wanted to turn around.

On the opposite side of the road I spotted a Northern Shoveler pair and 3 Baird's Sandpipers! (lifer) I got some horrid photos that I won't share.  
They are out there in that mud...



the fruit is growing...




Also plenty of Western Grebes and a flock of Eared Grebes farther out.  They are all in breeding plumage.  Wish I could of got a better close up of them.  The day was windy and overcast so the light was not good.





On Another day we ventured to Connected Lakes in Grand Junction...A nice State Park and an Audubon property right at the entrance to the Park....The Audubon ponds were mostly dried up I don't know if they are doing some repairs or what anyway on the mud flat that remained was this one legged Solitary Sandpiper.  Poor thing seemed completely adjusted...




Inside the State Park lots of nice walkways and the Colorado River runs right alongside...




plenty of Mallards, and Canada Geese hanging out and  up in the willows and cottonwoods dozens of Cedar Waxwings, American Robins, Yellow Rumped Warblers of the Audubon variety and At least one Black Headed Grosbeak.  



black headed grosbeak

There was a Rocky Mtn. Hairy Woodpeck, the difference being less white in the wings, and some red in the tail feathers...




Had another Plumbeous Vireo, saw one last year...with the dark lores at the eye almost drawing a dark line from lore to lore.  I was hoping for a Gray Vireo, it has white lores. 





                                      Saw another Gambel's Quail, actually maybe a mated pair. 



                                                                        Male Gambel's 

From the bridge I spotted a couple male Wood Ducks eyeing each other up...




A couple Belted Kingfisher's rattled from different perches...




A pair of Osprey flew overhead, 





And how exciting to find a small waterfall in the tangles...






... some unfamiliar calls in the thick stuff by the river makes me want to return for a longer exploration of this park. 






PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Such beautiful country up that way. So many birds of all kinds. I had never noticed the sort of horn on the pelican's beak before. And how I miss seeing herds of elk like that. Thanks for a another great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo I think this is the first time I've gotten a photo of a White Pelican with the horn! The Elk were a surprise as they normally move to higher ground by this time, the later than usual spring has them hanging lower but I'm sure they are up to 8,000 ft by now.

      Delete
  2. A nice variety of species, I take it the Elk are wild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, yes they are wild...they roam freely and sometimes you can see them mixed in with herds of cattle as they jump in and out of pasture land.

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow! What a day! Glad I scrolled down to catch up because I forgot I saw a Solitary Sandpiper yesterday...mine had two legs, though. You have so many different species than we do here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen just now seeing this comment, Happy you saw a Solitary!

      Delete
  4. Hello, what a great action packed post. I love the beautiful scenery, elk and the birds. Some of these birds would be lifers for me. I would love to see the Black-headed Grosbeak. Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! I have made the decision to step up my birding a personal goal to take my mind off real life I suppose...and it's so rewarding!

      Delete
  5. You are the best birder (and wildlife watcher ... loved the Elk)..... so many birds in this post I've never seen. Fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks..lol Thanks for the compliment it does mean a lot to me...but I don't think I'm a better than anyone else. I have a lot of ambition is what it is!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!