Saturday, September 9, 2017

Hubbard Mesa

TIME has gotten away from me! All day I thought it was Wednesday but it's not! YIKES so I had to spend a day of preparation for travel...I needed one rear tire so got that purchased and put on...had to get an oil change, and they did a 202 point check...omg yeah I'm teasing but really?? I frowned when I got the bill!! Even if they do put a pink carnation on your dashboard for that price I expected a bag of fresh Colorado grown produce!!  And it comes with a free car wash...but my van won't fit...in hindsight I should've gone to Walmart to get the oil changed! Not many choices of places to go close by.  Regular mechanics don't have time to deal with oil changes (come back on Saturday) so I guess you pay for the immediate service.  Back home I get the same service for $34.  Today it was $94.  I'm pretty sure my oil change guy would laugh if I asked him for a carnation!  He started his small business back before I closed mine, and he has been very successful just changing oil! An industrious guy or gal could make a good living here doing the same thing. 



this mornings full moon 

 sooooo I had to wash it myself...and dust the inside, and change the air filter (they don't open clam shells) and prepare the inside for the next leg of this sojourn...if I stay much longer I may NOT want to go home..it's just so splendid here... I gotta go home AT SOME POINT!



another smoky haze sunrise

Lately the sun and moon have looked like this is a changing planet, hey you know what... it IS! This Earth is constantly evolving and when our sun goes Super Nova we will be no more!


morning's sunrise with the smokey haze 

Yesterday was such a busy day for me.  I got up early and headed over to Hubbard Mesa.  There's tons of roads to explore there...



                                             the road soon turns to gravel and dirt




I took the right fork in the road....the burning question is what's up on the left fork??


I believe you could get lost here really easy....the views are sweet and the trees are too, twisted Junipers, Cedars, and some Pinyon Pine too...



If you look for the Juniper Titmouse look low, all the ones I've seen so far are always down low or on the ground...


Hard to spot these little drab (but gorgeous) birds in this sun-burnt landscape...

It's not all drab tho...the fall wildflowers are blooming...





checkered skipper

I found at least one Oasis! Amazing it seems to have no source but water plants are established...



Stupid people drive their 4 wheelers thru this water...*sigh* don't they realize animals depend on this spot?


Birds were all around it too...saw many more Vesper Sparrows, a few Say's Phoebe, Rock Wrens, and one Yellow Rumped Warbler  I snapped a shot of him but he was too well hidden so I scraped it. 


vesper sparrow





rock wren


say's phoebe



I checked Fravet Reservoir on my way out the waterfowl are soooo far on the other side and there is only one viewing area...I saw again Mallards, Ring Necked Ducks, Pied Billed Grebes, Gadwall, and American Coot. 

mallards n coots in this shot

None lifers but I was able to add all of these except Mallard that was already on it to my Garfield County List, as the Hubbard Mesa is only 10 mins away from the house! Cool Beans.  
 You can camp out on Hubbard Mesa... if you don't mind lots of broken glass all around your feet, why do people have to be that way??  I'm kinda down on ATV'rs at this point. 



Next Post we finally made it up to Maroon Bells Wilderness Area. 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

7 comments:

  1. Clogged air filters really affect fuel consumption so changing it will pay dividends on the long trek home. The Say Phoebe and the Juniper Titmouse look interesting birds. I like the seasons as they all have something to offer and I look forward to the change over.

    Its a pity that people who profess to love the countryside for recreational purposes dont respect and look after it. We have the same problem here with off roading vehicles.
    I bet you're not looking forwarding to all the catch up jobs that await you back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me pretty well!! I am told my grass is 2 ft high and a ton of dead wood awaits my chain saw. Lucky me my 2nd sis has been picking most of it up when she checks the house...NOW a hurricane is heading up that way sooooo I hope I have a house to go too after Irma gets past.
      MY theory is with all this ATV activity is people who otherwise would never set foot into the wilderness now have access so they really don't have the kind of respect that is earned by a lifetime of being in the outdoors.

      Delete
    2. Its handy having someone there to keep an eye on your place and hopefully by the time Irma gets to SC it will have decreased in strength. But very very scary if you're in Florida, I watch the updates regularly. So have a safe journey.

      Delete
    3. I'm watching the updates on the net...they have it now missing my area so maybe it will fizzle out I sure hope so....the problem I'm facing is GAS is in short supply! I may head north then drop down...

      Delete
  2. All the contrasting areas you have visited from beautiful pines and lots of green to the desert type landscapes. The wild flowers are so pretty and of course the birds are always a treat.
    getting ready to roll down the road once again. I hope Irma fizzles out before you get home and she does turn away from your area.
    I won't even get started on these off road jerks. Just a bunch of wild fools who can't be bothered worrying about our natural lands and wonderful places. Their own property is always filled with broke down trucks, cars and other garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on the broke down trucks and junk....so much of it, if steel ever becomes valuable maybe they will have them melted down...The variety here is astounding...I didn't make it to the really high areas this trip like down in the San Juan Mtns. Maybe next time! My dance card was FULL! LoL.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful -- i wish I could see a phoebe. They are beautiful. I don't like those noisy machines.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!