Saturday, September 16, 2017

Cool Birds in Cool Places!

I've been trying to get in some last minute visits to places I wanted to explore more...Mom has already moved back to sis's house in town, so I have a few days to myself before heading back to SC,,,


Saturday it was the Buford-New Castle Road in the White River National Forest aka West Elk.   It was ATV day as most Saturdays are in National Forest Lands,



but I found a quiet road and was able to seek out a few interesting things...Once  you climb the forest service road you arrive what is called the Old Gravel Pit...






Once I got past the locals, I stayed off the OHV trail and skirted the open area following the trees on the left.  Phished up a few Mountain Chickadees, 



  This little fellow came out to see what all the ruckus was about..


Alvin the chipmunk!


Lots of pretty vistas

the forest was glittering with awesome light as the smoke was chased out by rain and some wind too...


here is the spot I found to park on the quiet road...



It turned out to be a good patch busy with lots of Yellow Rumped Warblers, 


Mountain Chickadees, Juniper Titmouse, and Red Breasted Nuthatch added more activity to the patch...



I think lots of new insects are out and about cause these guys were feeding like crazy!  Another
Red-Naped Sapsucker was working on a tree trunk he didn't seem to even care that I was creeping around..

red naped sapsucker

hairy woodpecker

Also had a Hairy Woodpecker show up and a few Blue Grey Gnatcatchers...and a cool bird new to me was this taxa of the Dark Eyed Junco the Grey Headed Dark Eyed Junco.  He is very similar to the Red-Backed, he has the red back...but he has the solid color beak...and a very cute one at that..


Grey Headed Dark Eyed Junco

A first for me, not a lifer tho since it's still considered a Dark Eyed Junco...I was just as excited no matter!



A Golden Eagle soared overhead...


On the way back home I was checking out fields for birds because there is always birds around especially when cutting is being done that stirs up bugs and tosses up seed so it's a good smorgasbord. 


Many of the irrigation ditches have cattails and that means Red-winged Blackbirds..but I found what I think is the Bicolored form...they have an orange patch without any yellow or white...




...and what looks to be a bicolored female is on the lower mid right with the brown head.  There was a couple Immature yellow headed blackbirds in this mix too. 



Back at home the rancher in the valley was chasing his cows that broke through the fence and were on the neighbors field...

Great entertainment for me as I sat on the deck  with a refreshing drink overlooking his dilemma.


teehee...he ended up calling for backup and 3 of them finally got the cows back on the right side...


Next day, Sunday  I hit up Lion Park in the I-70 Rest area...was up early so caught the sunrise first..

out with the dogs on their morning break 


Casey 

and the moon was still around on the west side of the tree...



it's a waning 3/4 moon 

My buddy the squirrel was up bright and early that day...




I hit the walkway by the Colorado River checking for birds have more luck there than at the lake.  




A very busy Grey Catbird came out 


The Silver Bush has berries, and although I didn't see the birds eating the berries they were eating the bugs that are attracted to these willowy bushes.  

Got a cute Brewer's Sparrow...



And Cedar Waxwings and Lesser Goldfinch were all over the place as well as Song Sparrows..


the Song Sparrows here are much bigger than the ones I'm used to seeing back home these look very muscular....while the SC version is like a little powder puff...

And this one stole the show cause it's rare as far as ebird is concerned...and it was a lifer for me, the
Black Phoebe



Completely adorable!! 

a couple Osprey flew over I caught one in action...

this could be the mother from the nest I watched when I first arrived here...

On the way back up the hill to this house saw a pair of

American Kestrels...the female in red and male in blue!




Then today I went north up to Meeker.  (via hwy 13) I had a hunch...
That's up next!! 

In real time I am packed and heading out in the morning...it's a sad day I don't want to go...but I'm trying to stick to the plan, I'm already 7 days later leaving than my original plan...One thing I have learned in my lifetime is nothing stays the same. There is so much left to see here and now most of my family is here...sigh. BUT I know we will be together again in the near future! 

Goodnight all 




PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

10 comments:

  1. I bet you were pleased to see all those birds, it seems a large variety in one area. I expect the feeding frenzy is down to the fact that winter is fast approaching and if you're not fat enough you wont survive.
    I can imagine its heart wrenching having to to leave, and having a long drive ahead of you, so have a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right...I must of cried my eyes out for at least 1200 of the over 2,800 I ended up driving. Seems every song on the radio was about leaving someone you love or going home. But home is where the heart is...I arrived about 9:00 pm I'm still on Mountain Time so I'm still up wide AWAKE!

      Delete
  2. Oh the Black Phoebe is just to adorable, reminds of a baby chick all downy and wispy feathers. Took some great birds flying and some sitting in the reeds. Little chip monk. I know it will be hard to hit the road for home but you will get back there again. It has been a great trip and you know I have enjoyed it with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a wonderful time there sooo much to explore and if one has time you could hike everyday and not hit the same trail twice! That little Phoebe was such a gift...At first I thought it was another dark eyed junco but the black beak told me it was not...sure was pleased to see it.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of the sunrise and some cracking birds, especially the Black Phoebe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, thank you, I love that comment, I am adding the word "cracking" to my vocabulary!!

      Delete
  4. All those birds ... and a lifer! Congrats on that -- what a darling bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I was so thrilled to see that cute little bird, and he sat there so calmly while others would barely show themselves...I sure hope he makes it out in the big world.

      Delete
  5. Another lifer! That's great! I see a few pics here that would be lifers for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day is a lifer right...lol...we get to tick another one off the calendar and that is special.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!