Thursday, September 7, 2017

Blood Orange Universe...

I am a short timer here...if hurricane Irma cuts across my path I will adjust my leaving to be sure I'm not in floods or bad weather!  This morning I got up and the haze that has been building a while was giving me like nearly zero visibility during the sunrise...I called it a Blood Orange Sun...the sun was really this color...I couldn't get the color to come out in a wide shot but in this close up...Check it out!!



check out those dark spots...wonder what that is?  More fantastic than the eclipse....




The smoke is coming from the North West where many wildfires are ablaze.  




It's still lingers...a good rain is what we need but it's been 3 weeks since we had any here....thinking of the poor souls in Houston, and wishing I could send some of this dry weather to them...




I took a hike up on the ridge west of the house...there is a deer trail up there so that made it easier to bushwhack using their trail...



looking back to the house and the haze in the valley.   

Some of the most famous trails in use today started out as deer paths...along the way I saw some interesting things like this tree skeleton...

  


I'm sure many critters use this tree as a lookout...the rocks around here have some neat looking lichen growing on top...this one is 50 shades of natural grey!




They remind me of nebulae out in space...and they come in a an assortment of  Earth Tone colors!

Came across a shed antler on the deer trail...



It was a nice hike before breakfast...my toe is feeling lots better as long as I don't over do it too much...

the DIY'r in me jumped out and turned this apple juice jug into a bird feeder...


I said BIRD feeder jeeze....

A Woodhouse Scrub Jay and a Red Shafted Flicker did come eat some seed from it...



RS Flicker



the Woodhouse Scrub Jay

This is one of my favorite rocks and not just mine but my squirrel buddy's too.  He comes out each morning, while I'm on the deck with my coffee.  He either sits, lays, or stands up to view the Universe.  He can sit  not moving for hours...just staring down into the valley...he is a very contemplative being as only a deep thinking being could sit and stare off like that day after day...I wonder what he is thinking?  





I will miss this squirrel!  Later after breakfast got in the van and stopped at Fravet Reservoir...saw lots of ducks mostly mallards, and quite a few  and at least one Pied Billed Grebe, and some Ring Necked Ducks..







...oh and some American Coots
they were pretty far away..

AND then tonight the full moon...was Blood Orange too!  






Sadly a blogging acquaintance  took his own life on Aug 31, please friends if you need help, reach out to someone...there is always a solution...



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Thats a very dramatic sun, but when they are that colour it often caused by something not good. Those spots on it are sunspots....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot
    The RS Flicker is a striking looking bird.

    The hurricanes this year are the worst. After Irma there's another one following......and Trump denies Global Warming?????
    Safe journey if you decide to leave soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While people are under water in Houston, and the north and south west are either burning or shrouded in smoke from wild fires the so called leader of the free world plays golf and tells everyone not to worry! What an ass he is!! We have the smoke still and the fire danger is officially VERY HIGH according to the NFS ranger I spoke to yesterday. My sis in SC called and said SC may be involved in IRMA, I'm watching and hoping it turns out to sea.

      Delete
  2. The blood orange sunrise is amazing and so is the rising blood orange moon. The chipmunk feeder oh wait that is bird feeder is a great creation. Is that a chipmunk creeping up behind the squirrel. The squirrel has some great colors going on. The views are so beautiful and I can imagine how much further you would be able to see if it wasn't for the smoke. Wish there was a way to transfer all the water in TX. and soon to be in FL. to the norther parts of the States to help with the fires. I'm a big fan of old twisted trees. Your Woodhouse Jay has the same coloring as our Mexican Jay but I believe the Mexican Jay is larger. You have a tough choice to make about heading home. Fired on one end and hurricanes on the other. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and the Squirrel is just lovely. It's dreadful to read of all the floods, hurricanes, fires and see the devastation they are causing. I hope you and yours are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I get a few posts behind and find out you're leaving CO already... probably home by now; I'm reading from the bottom up . Too bad about the smoke -- we sure have it here too, but what a beautiful last outing with all those lovely birds and vistas.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!