Saturday, August 19, 2017

Crystal River Valley

Glenwood Springs is a hot mess right now! I knew they were doing the bridge demolish on the 14th but I figured I'd miss the evening commute, I drove over easy peasy but coming back OMG it took me 2 hrs to go about 2 miles...the problem is Midland Ave where some of the detour is being routed has NO way out; a mountain on one side the river on the other...so once you're in it you're stuck!  This is supposed to go on for 97 days! Ouch. Downtown businesses are going to suffer for sure, and an 8 hr day is now a 12 hr day for most commuters. 



west bound traffic was bumper to bumper by 3 pm. 

But I would do it again just to go where I went!  I drove up to Cardondale on 82 then too Hwy 133 South and alongside the Crystal River.  The Crystal River Valley has some stunning views.  



the backside of Mt Sopris

The scenic Crystal River...not as much fly fishing here as it is quite swift. 







Do you see the early color in the trees, Fall is ALMOST upon us here!



Along this route is the town of Redstone  Way back in the 80's we visited this town and in one of the Antique Shops we saw Goldie Hawn, she was pushing Kate Hudson in a baby stroller!! So That's one of my main memories of Redstone, and the Coke Ovens!





And they have a Castle...



the Redstone Castle c-1902 built by Robber Baron John Cleveland Osgood

Of course the coal boom died out, Mr. Osgood died and his 3rd wife tried to keep the town going then the Great Depression....and oh well if not for the natural beauty of this area, it probably would never have been preserved...



Chair Mtn. 





Hello Moon. 

the Farther South you go the prettier it gets...


Thank goodness this area is some what preserved as part of the White River National Forest....




Roadside...






roadside Hays Creek Falls



Then I turned on CR 3 and headed toward the "town" of Marble, 






beaver lodge in this pond 

...so named for the the rock! Incorporated in 1899, the Marble from the Yule Marble Quarry was used in parts of the Lincoln Memorial as well as other DC buildings, San Francisco, and NYC.  I'm sure it's in countless other memorials and buildings.  Now the town is actually an unsightly mess for the most part.  I  don't understand the need to trash a parcel of land...I believe in taking pride of your surroundings, and letting buildings within a city limits sit empty filled to the brim with old discarded belongings is not pleasing to the eye or the health of a town. That is one HUGE strike against the West as a whole, too much JUNK all over the place.  But they have a pretty church...


and some really cool carvings...


East of town is Beaver Lake where lots of locals fish and paddle...




I have to go back to this area as soon as I can to see Crystal Mill.  One of the most photographed Mills in the USA!   A weekend might work better to try and get through the detour.  The problem is it's a tough 4 wheel drive road up to the mill. SO maybe I can hike to the mill if my toe wasn't broken!! (another story)....anyways we shall see. I want to get back to see Maroon Bells too, may be able to combine both with an overnight camp stay. 

I had to turn around not more than 1/2 mile in..


Check out this awesome spot with a private cabin, and off to the left about mid shot see that white streak?  Zoomed in (my camera actually worked) and found this...



I don't know the name of this one

It sure was a beauty; looks to be as beautiful and tall as Bridal Veil in  Yosemite!  Wish this was my cabin!! 




What you don't see is the pond sitting in front of the cabin across the road...it is an idyllic setting. 

I believe this is another flow from snow melt way up...




Back on hwy 133 I continue South to McLure Pass, 8,763 ft. 
AND there is Gunnison National Forest Service Campground nestled back in the Aspens!!  




...And the view of the area back down in the valley from the pass...





Hwy 133 with the Crystal River below.  SO with the Glenwood Bridge out I don't know when I can get back into this area 97 days is a lonnng time...there is another route I could take, the long way around, I have to come up with a plan.  







PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. So much beauty here also. The cabin looks unlived in, so why couldn't we just move in. It looks like a wonderful place to cozy into. Love the castle and the little church. To bad the town went to seed if at one time it was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking this is a weekend get away for some lucky person...land in this area is outrageous!
      check out these listings
      https://www.zillow.com/marble-co/

      Delete
    2. I know....and yet there are few jobs out of the service industry...Maybe the gas n oil workers are in high cotton, but fof the most part it's waiting tables, bar tending, dog groomers, hair dressers, etc...so where is the Moula?

      Delete
  2. Again great countryside, you can understand why famous people who want to getaway from it, go to Colorado. You had me browsing the maps looking for alternative routes to Crystal Mill, but as you say maybe an overnighter. I had a look at the camera you're thinking of buying and it looks good. I've always stuck with Canon cameras but your type of camera has got me thinking as I'm impressed with the lens range on them, so handy .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't deal with a DSLR changing lenses and such so a good zoom is my favorite.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my goodness! Such beauty! You are so blessed to be able to travel like you do, to make it happen! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me I'm staying with my sister, so I'm trying to hit all the highlights in this area...

      Delete
  4. I don't envy the commuters that delay for the next 97 days!! So beautiful though and definitely worth the trip, the cabin just looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was no fun sitting in that traffic...Hope they have it moving better now...I have to check the newspaper!

      Delete
  5. The cabin looks wonderful and the scenery is so great -- i guess it would have been worth the traffic hassles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, a footnote to this post...I did go back in my sis's 4 wheel drive only made it in the first mile before putting up my white flag, it was way too rough for my abilities of 4 wheel driving...SO if I ever see this mill it will have to be via my own 2 feet!
      http://unusualplaces.org/the-crystal-mill/

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!