Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Confronting Beauty

Thompson Divide is a place of natural beauty and controversy.  



For several years the residents have been fighting the Gas n Oil industry and the govt over fracking leases, and natural gas "wells".....currently the leases have not been renewed but its a constant battle in and out of courts to save our beautiful mostly unspoiled wilderness!  I can't tell you how many petitions and letters I have been part of this year alone.  You may want to check out the Coalition and join the fight. 

A drive back towards Aspen on Hwy 82 then a turn onto 133 south towards the town of Carbondale will take you to the Thompson Creek Road, (CR108) 



ranch land on both sides of CR108

....and then the dirt rd off that follows the gulch this huge area  is known as Thompson Divide.   There is public land there...and a campground snuggled under the big pine, fir, spruce, and aspen trees.   A lot of people visit this area on horseback.  


There is layers of beauty, peaks, trees, and the wonderful plants too...

Rabbit Bush, Mullen, Western Sage, Tall Thistle, 

I drove the dirt road as far as I could then it got steep, narrow, and rocky so I turned around the first chance I got...



Forest Service road getting way too narrow...

The road crosses the Thompson Creek, it was a bit muddy with recent rains...



One can get the best unobstructed views of one of the high peaks...Mt. Sopris.  This is the ELK Range in the Rocky Mountain Chain.   Sopris overlooks the town of Carbondale like a mother hen...at 12,966 ft. 



Mt Sopris

 It is hardly one of the High Peaks of this area but it sure is a good looking mountain.  It has twin peaks! There is a hike up to the summit about 12 miles in length.  The peak sits in the Maroon Bells Wilderness area I hope to take you there soon!!






Sopris again...

Because Maroon Bells is one of the most photographed peaks in Colorado, and I haven't been there since 2008, Aug 25th.  I know one thing that changed is you can't go up in your car during the hours of 9-5, they put in a passenger bus to take visitors up since it was so heavily visited....so I have to go early or go late or ride the bus in. 




Down by the creek I found Golden Crowned Kinglets, a not so focused shot as they were as fast as could be, and they were in a mixed flock of Mountain Chickadee, and White Breasted Nuthatch.  

Golden Crowned Kinglet

I had my head set on finding a Red Crossbill but so far I have struck out every where I've gone...I felt sure these cones would be full of crossbills...lol.


I read this area is also good for poorwills, hammond flycatchers, and bushtit.  Struck out on all 3 did see another imm. mountain blue bird right at the beginning of the dirt road on a power line.  



here's a closer look at Mt Sopris..as  you can see the top peeking over into the Divide Area   little bit of snow here and there





I arrived about 10:30 AM and left about 2:30 PM, it was awesome to explore this area...got home and found this Cooper's hawking the feeder birds...took this through the glass door...he is a real beauty he saw me and took off, saved our feeder birds from an attack.  



till next time....

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

9 comments:

  1. Everything is so lush and green and still so many wild flowers. Lots of water and the little falls is really great. Is the golden crowned kinglet small? cooper giving you that look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes the Kinglet is very small, smaller than a chickadee.

      Delete
  2. The Golden Crowned Kinglet is very similar to our Firecrest and comes under the same classification. They are small and hard to spot but do frequent gardens. You're really know where to look for your birds because with the vastness of your landscapes I would imagine that its so much harder to find them than here.
    What new camera are you thinking of buying as your current one takes good shots especially the long range ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is working good as long as I don't need the zoom but for birds and macro I need the zoom...the Zoom motor is sticking---but not on every shot...I am considering the Nikon coolpix p900 it has an 82 X Zoom! The reviews are good too, just waiting on my finances to catch up a bit.

      Delete
  3. Fracking is becoming a thing here in the UK too, there are lots of protests and petitions against it. Let's hope the licenses don't get renewed! Lovely shot of the Hawk, fantastic bird to see in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Fracking there too? I wish as a society we could move away from fossil fuels, but seems that is not going to happen as long as there is still one drop in the ground...I do believe it is harming the perfect balance required for the continued life of the Planet in the Universe, things we know JACK about, like why the Planet stays in a perfect orbit...maybe that oil is part of that mechanism.

      Delete
    2. Yes unfortunately so, it's met with lots of opposition so far. I think you are quite right!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful drive -- I know that my son and DIL have camped in the Maroon Bells area somewhere -- I didn't know about the car restriction -- i always thought it looked so beautiful from pictures and now from yours I know!

    Fracking is terrible -- and you know it will get worse with our current horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly....and yet it uses and spoils the underground water supply, The Maroon Bells area has been put on a bus service, and they charge you $5 to park your car, then $10 to go see the area. After 5 pm you can drive up and it's the $10 fee as far as I know.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!