Friday, March 12, 2021

Weekend Getaway II

I starred up at the stars till my neck began to feel stiff and then I tried to pull up anything to entertain me on my phone, nothing doing!! One bar of service. 

Anyways I wanted to watch Chrome of Vancity Vanlife,  but nope it would not load.  So I tucked myself under my quilt, sleeping bag, and wool blanket...since I brought no heat source with me.  I was plenty warm overnight.  And in the morning, I watched the sun rise with a hot cup of coffee.  



I had packed up camp the night before so I only had to restash my cooking gear, I had some oatmeal with banana and toast for breakfast.  Just had to boil water!


After a quick clean up I drove the long road out of the Preserve and headed North up highway 17  for Huntington Beach State Park, about 30 miles up the road.  
I arrived at 9 am...paid my $5 day use fee and parked in the visitors parking and headed for the Mullet Ponds to check for whatever birds were out and about. 


The expected waders, were out but not in huge numbers, and some fishing birds like the Anhinga


Caught one, 


Get it in position...


GULP....


the Gr blue Heron


The great Egret



The Snowy Egret

On the other side of the road is the pond and a flock of Lesser Scaup about half way out
50-ish 




And farther out by the bank is a flock of Gadwall.  



And a small count of 8 or so Green winged Teal too far out for a decent photo...meanwhile this Gr Blue Heron nearly landed on top of me...


Not long after that a flock of Hooded Merganser sailed out of the reeds...


Im totally digging the hair...





Mallards at the Sandpiper Pond


The Heron moved back to a safer place...I didn't see any shorebirds and that was my hope so I moved the van to the North Beach parking lot and headed up the beach toward the North Jetty normally a good spot for shorebirds, but I got here a little early a front had just passed and birds had not moved to the beach...  Even the Sanderlings were holding still...


My legs were tired  from all the walking I did the day before at Santee Coastal, but I had about a two mile hike in the sand to get to that Jetty..so no use whinning just go!!  
Next time I go I want to take my bike, to make this walk a quick ride instead...especially on the two mile walk back after walking all day on and around the jetty. 

it's up there somewhere


It was still to early and chilly for sunbathers but there was plenty of action in the water...


and above the Beach...

Brown Pelican 

and on the sand...

It's like a garage sale you never know what you're gonna find...

Horned Grebes were fishing in the surf...




When I finally got on the Jetty there was a lot of people and boat action in the cove and no shorebirds.. 


These people had fun on their own island for a few minutes...

Common Loon was out in force...


And a few Red Throated Loons as well...



And I found one Long Tailed Duck diving out in the cove...So I reported the rare bird!! YEAH. 


I didn't see everything I had hoped for but there is no such thing as a bad day at the beach...


Ringed Bill Gull

It was a fun trip and I look forward to the next visit.  


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

16 comments:

  1. How nice to be away and sleeping in the van Sondra. When I'm in the van its the best nights sleep I get, I think it brings out the child in me. Your breakfasts are very similar to mine.
    I always think that the egrets and heron are so elegant , like dancers.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, its the simplicity of camp life that attracts me to it...that is why I dont understand the overdone rigs with everything one could think of, there is no challenge, and no spirit of adventure when everything is solved ahead of time...is how I see it. Nothing left to the imagination. That one Gr blue he got so close that wing span was at least 6 ft across..

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    What a great outing and park. I like waking up and already being in the place I want to be, you can catch the early birds. Awesome sightings. Your Horned Grebe has me questioning some of my own id's and birds I saw recently. I always enjoy seeing the dolphins, great variety of ducks, pretty herons and egrets and beautiful views! Take care! Have a great day and a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, the dolphins are getting to be in this area more and more, there are some Dolphin Cruises, from a nature based boat touring company. They have a cruise to Bulls'Island I hope to take it sometimes, I have done it in the past and it's a full day and fun. Another good way to make use of van camping, I can arrive the night before and meet the ferry at 8am. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. All the birds are so beautiful but boy when I saw the dolphins I was so excited. I never knew they where so close to your area. That was a great camping trip for sure. Hope you get out again real soon.
    It got cold here again and then I got a call for a new appt for my vaccine it was moved to Tues. the 16th I'm so happy this is finally taking place. I don't know how I will react to the shot so maybe I can still go if all is well. It will be warmer next week and I can't see past next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I went online, and could not book an appointment till they get more vaccine...I will check the hospital site again soon, I had wanted to go to CVS, but they were only booking second does...I do hope to get in another trip soon, have not formed it up yet but it's budding in my brain!! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Great pics of the birds. Great early spring trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there sis, Hope you're all settled in and can't wait to hear about your explores...

      Delete
  5. What a fab close encounter with the Heron and the picture of the sunrise is just lovely, what a moment to have. I love that you can see so much at the beach/sea. You really have to get scopes (or boats!!) out and get past the people to see anything at our local beaches!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, once it warms up the beach will get more crowded, but there is plenty of space...like down by the jetty its a long walk so not many will make that walk. That heron really surprised me, he got so close....It was a nice close encounter. Have a great week.

      Delete
  6. What a great trip.
    I just loved seeing all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, thanks for visiting and checking out the photos, its my memory album.

      Delete
  7. oh Wow. Spectacular sights again. Love the Orange sea vegetation on the beach, I am sure it has a name.
    The shot of the heron as it quickly changes course at the last second is fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I know very little about seaweeds, but its always fun to see what washes up on shore. That heron got really close, his wingspan was huge!!
      Take care!

      Delete
  8. I’d be thrilled to see that many birds in one day! Let alone take such good pictures. But I agree completely with you that there is no such thing as a bad day at the beach (even though here in Oregon you’d have to bundle up a lot more to enjoy it most of the time). I don’t think I could walk that much two days in a row any more though, even to see that many birds. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sallie It took me 3 days to recover...lol I am in the process of getting my bike ridable again, or maybe even buy a new bike something easy to operate. Id love one of those old lady 3 wheels with a basket! OH it can be extremely cold stay tuned for that. Have a great upcoming weekend.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!