Friday, March 19, 2021

A good week...


The first week of March was a busy week for me...I think it took me 3 days to recover from all the walking I did on my camp trip.   Once I was rested up and ready to get at it again I went to Sandhills to see what was going on.  I like to park and hike in the area of Martin's Lake its diverse in that area...I parked the van got out and immediately smelled smoke,,,Boy spring is a tough time of year,  this shot illustrates how smoke and smog can block out the sunshine...check the lake where its dull under the cloud and blue on the edge where the smoke is not blocking. 



Soon the wind changed direction and that made it a lot better for me.,,and the geese 


And the Killdeer running around the edges of the lake...



Again I ran into the Swamp Sparrows in the weird white web stuff I still cant figure out what that stuff is.   T his little one was doing a split with a leg on opposing twigs. 

I really love the white pattern on his back...


I walked around the edge of the lake as far as I could go without tromping into the unmowed parts which is no fun, and stirred up some Savannah Sparrow hunting in the edges of the field grass...


Another beautiful Sparrow,  



The safest place to be in a fire is in the lake! 


On another day later in the week....I wanted to check out this spot I had never been to so I went..


But with all the rain we had most of the trail was flooded, I met two guys on the way out and they told me the water was over their shoes, so they suggested taking the Yellow short cut trail...so I did..It cut through from marker 6 to 15 on the map above.  


And there were few birds down where I could see them...

red headed woodpecker

If you check the trail map again you see where the trial follows the river at marker 15, so once I got over there it was nice to hear the rushing water, the  Congaree Creek, 


It felt weird to see an Anhinga so deep into the woods, 



this section was not too wet, but



most parts  were extremely muddy...so I didn't get away completely dry.  



Took me an hour to get these boots cleaned up.  

That night I was catching up with my email and the SC Rare bird list...and for the 3rd day in a row a RARE bird had been seen at Huntington Beach State Park, where I had been only last week day 2 of my camp trip....and seen the Long Tailed Duck.   So I kinda had in the back of my mind, that I would like to go back again...

In the morning I woke up at 6am and was on the road by 7 ish and headed that way.  I was on the beach by 10 am after arriving, getting into the park and there was a line of cars waiting to pay,  drove to parking, got my gear together, put on ALL my clothes.   It was COLD, and the wind was out of the North...BRRRRRR.   I had on 4 layers and never took one single layer off all day.  

fa
fat bikes seem to be the fav these days and most of them were ebikes


The sun was not out either...Right away I stopped to scan the water found much of the same I had found last week, with Horned Grebes ducking thru the breakers...and then someone came up and said,
 "I know why you're here."
"Oh yeah?"
He said,  "to see the Dovekie!" 

Yes I said Dovekie. The Little Auk!  These birds don't come here...period. 
Here is a map of their normal range.  

From Cornell Labs 

"Despite being one of the most abundant seabirds of the Northern Hemisphere, Dovekies live so far north that relatively few bird watchers get to see them"


 So I met Andy and we walked the almost 2 miles to the Jetty together...sure made the walk go faster to have someone to share bird stories from this location in the past. 

A Bonaparte's Gull in the surf...


A flock of Sanderlings rushed in and out along the edges, the day was on the foggy dull side also...and this made me wonder if we would be able to see anything once we got down there.  The long 2 mile walk to the jetty facing a headwind!!

On the way we encountered returning birders who said they saw it,..and some Purple Sandpiper also on the rocks...and we were told to head to the sea end of the jetty...So we did. 


Talk about a needle in a haystack, the large flock of Ruddy Turnstones camo'd that Purple Sandpiper pretty well can you pick it out?  This shot has 1 Sanderling, 2 Ruddy Turnstones, and 1 Purple Sandpiper. 


See him just about to fall off the rock on the left...LoL...very hard to pick out of this group...

 Andy had a good eye and right away we marched down the Jetty and found the little dot which we verified pretty much to be our target bird, then about that time a boat came by and scared him away...


DARN....so we scanned and the water on the channel side of the Jetty  was choppy, I noticed the water was calmer on the Ocean side of the jetty and kept hoping the little auk would figure that out.   By now we had hooked up with 2 other birders, Tammy and Petra and with 4 pairs of eyes searching he didn't stand a chance of not being seen...then Andy said "there  he goes."  This tiny little football shaped object was actually flying to the calmer side as I had hoped he would..


AND believe it or not  he landed on the rocks right behind us!!


I was at the back of the line and got everyone in my sights as they zeroed in the Dovekie...then I got closer..


There he is!

And then the shutters began to click like it was Prince Harry and Megan, and there he was just sitting there tiny little thing no bigger than the Turnstones nearby.


Thats Andy up front and Petra, and Tammy was behind me now...Im not in the picture cause I took the picture..lol 




He preened and we watched 


Then  he waddled back into the water...and floated around.


Life Bird for all of us! 

Andy wanted to see the Long tailed Duck and it did fly by so he was happy I took a walk to see a group of shorebirds, mostly Dunlin, with some others mixed in like the Black Bellied Plover and about then my SD card was full...I had left my 64 GB card at home, and found a spare one luckily in my camera bag but only 2GB so the rest of the day I enjoyed just looking and Andy's battery died so between the 2 of us we had nothing going on recording the rest of the day!! LoL



Dunlin, Semipalmated Plover, and a piece of trash *grrrrrr

Black Bellied Plover

It was a cold but very rewarding day...the Dovekie is still being reported and  exciting birders from all over the state who are coming to see him... I was home before dark, and super pleased with the day  and meeting some nice people. I imagine some people came in from other states a shot in the arm for the park and Georgetown county. 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Congrats on your Dovekie lifer. You had a wonderful day, great birds and photos.
    The Dovekie shows up on the Maryland coast sometimes, usually sits on Ocean City's rock jetty. I always missed seeing the Dovekie, they are so cute. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen...Thanks. I thought to myself this is kind of bird that may or Never come close again so it was def worth the trip and meeting new friends to boot. I hope you have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Whilst the Red Headed woodpecker is stunning its good to see and hear the Sparrows. In the evenings just before sunset our Sparrows are at their noisiest, chirping away in the thickets, perhaps telling their mates the best places for food. Its a lovely sound on an evenings walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave...I am smitten by Sparrows, they challenge me every day to keep on my toes since they are so similar, and without them my daily life would not be the same.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic to get the Little Auk, well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave, it was for me Im sure a once in a lifetime chance!! I was thrilled.

      Delete
  4. You sure had a great week and to find life bird to boot. Had to be very uplifting. Hope your adventures continue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, It was a good week!! Stayed very busy, the weather has not been as good lately but I am staying busy.

      Delete
  5. Those Turtles - So Cute - Stay Strong My Dear

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, Turtles are such a quite bunch, but they have a huge impact on pond life, enjoy the rest of the weekend.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant lifer and very obliging too! The photo of the Woodpecker is fab, that head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, the little auk was sooo obliging, I am lucky many who went down did not see him at all. The woodpeckers are brilliant to see, Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Wow, congrats on the Dovekie! Seems unusual for one to come land on the rocks? Must be a tired little football!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, the photos may not reveal just how cold it was that day a strong north wind of about 20 mph and 40 degrees. I think he just needed to get out of the water fluff up his feathers so he could stay warmer...I read they nest on rocks and boggy seascapes so I guess they are adapted to being on land... Reminded all of us of a Penguin the way he moved on land. The SD card I used (since I left my high speed one at home) would not allow me to make a real video it made 2) 3 second ones and told me the card was full.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow congratulations! Thankfully your camera and your friend’s too didn’t give up until after you had taken pictures of the dovekie..what a great find! Aren’t you glad you can just go as soon as you see about a good sighting like that? Wouldn’t it be Awful if you had to go to work knowing what you were missing. Wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie, it is great to be able to just go when I want to...when the Snowy Owl was being reported back in Dec, I wanted to go so bad, but the lock down was in place and I couldn't so that was a bitter pill.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!