Friday, March 5, 2021

A Quick Getaway...

I took a chance while the weather was good for a midweek trip.   I made a plan for the dogs to be fed, and left at 6 am the following morning...I drove to Santee Coastal Reserve, the same place I grabbed my lifer Hudsonian Godwit a couple years ago.  They have a free FCFS campground and I scored a great spot. 


Also a couple years back I purchased this little easy to pitch tent as a place holder for just such an occasion, when  I want to drive my van to a trail head, so need something to show the spot is occupied...so this worked out really well...took 5 mins to set up!


This is the first trip with my raised ceiling and it is really nice to be standing up in the van...I had a really good stay...After I got settled in I took off for my first hike, on the Marshland Trail and  boardwalk...



I began to hear warblers....AND realized I have to relearn their calls this happens nearly every spring now...my memory just isn't as good as it once was...


It was still early I arrived at the campground at 9 am so birds were singing, and I didn't get my eyes on a lot but sure enjoyed the experience.  The White Breasted Nuthatch once again...made an appearance. 



And there was a lot of Red Headed Woodpecker..


I am a little early for most of the shorebirds to arrive which I had hoped to see more of...The Carolina Wren sang for me...


 I'm hoping  that spring is arriving and I can get in some camp/bird adventures before the onset of heat and bugs...

Then back at my campsite to shed a couple layers of clothing before my next hike  I had the Brown Thrasher and the White Throated Sparrow in my camp site...hunting together...


I dumped my extra coat, and changed into my waterproof boots, and prepared to move the van to the Big Wells Trailhead.  Well, come to find out they had the road closed to the trail head, you can park at the HG building and walk in so that's what I did..



Tri colored Heron

I found some Blue Winged Teal, and Common Gallinule together behind the reeds in the open water.  


And this Little Blue Heron was sneaking around in the edges looking for minnows and snails etc...



This place if very similar to most of the Low Country Wildlife management areas, and used to be old rice fields, impounds where they can manipulate the water level by using a series of rice trunks which have been in operation for 250 years, take a look at this video if you want to know about these.  

Big Wells Trail with Santee River to the right

Unfortunately for me, they were busy cutting the brush and doing scheduled burns it was mid week and so I should have thought of that but then on a weekend I may not get a campspot and it could be crowded with hunters....so either way it's a crapshoot. 


 with so much activity going on the birds were few...

Saw a lot  of Yellow Legs in the shallow areas and some Wilson Snipes took off...


got this far away look as the snipe circled me...then landed in the reeds again...


It's easier to see Red Winged Blackbird  and Killdeer. 


I needed a drink and reached around to get my water bottle from my backpack pocket, Wasn't there...dang.  I was pretty thirsty but not a lot I could do about that, I must of lost it.



Overhead 3 White Pelican gave me a flyby,,


Here is the work going on at the boat dock...this is why the road is closed to the trail head....they are using the trailhead parking for a staging area.

So I circled around and headed back to the HQ parking lot making a loop by using the road that runs behind the HQ building, by now it  was after 1 pm so I was getting tired and hungry and thristy!  Back at the van, look at this....on the ground.



I lost my water bottle ONE step from the van, LOL I had to laugh and was also happy to find  it, but really?? I never knew it had fallen.   So then I went back to my campsite and made a sandwich and sat in my chair for an hour, drank up some liquid..and watched the birds move around in the bushes...


I forgot to pack a PLATE so I put my sandwich on the lid of my Thermos, I really did a poor job of packing.  I normally make a list and pack from that...any veer off course can be a disaster these days, I also forgot to bring any paper towel, all my toiletries including my toothbrush!  

campsite  Mockingbird


I decided to go in an lay down for a little foot rest, as it had gotten warm so I figured to let the sun move a little then head out again when there was more shade.  I met the man in the  site down from me, there was only 3 of us camping...he had a cute dog with him made me miss my girls.  

So after a rest I put my regular shoes back on for the drier road-walk toward the other ponds...along the Cape Trail ..

 

Turns out this is where the burns are happening...


Last time I was here this area was full of shorebirds...but this time I saw lots of this...




And no birds...nary a one,....so I turned around.... the moon was up by then and 3 Double Crested Cormorants flew over..

I did a little edit to combine the moment.

Back near the road to Big Wells, 
 Belted Kingfisher came out to hunt from the power line...



A Lesser Yellowlegs was out wading knee high...




I eventually arrived back at camp about 4:30 pm and the sun was moving behind the trees and the  air cooled off so I heated up some canned soup for a hot meal and took it inside out the chilled air  


Had to eat right out of the pan, forgot to bring a bowl either!! It was good to have a warm meal...I brought my chair in for siting with my dinner and to  check my photos, I plan to try and do a swivel on my passenger seat some day.  I see others do it, so figure I can as well. 

After eating, took the tent down,  stowed my stuff for the evening, I was ready to call it a day by 5:30ish.  My camp neighbor and his dog made a big fire for the night so I closed up the van not wanting to get the smoky smell in my upholstery...I also forgot to bring any books for reading and didn't bring my DVD player, I dumped  my camera SD card, and turned in  as it was dark by 6 pm.   I threw up the blind by one of the big windows and lay there looking up at the starry night.  It was a good day!!

-----

to be continued....






PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

17 comments:

  1. Hello, Sondra
    Your camping trip sounds like it got off to a great start. Except for forgetting a few items, you did great. What a beautiful place to camp. Wonderful variety of birds, I love the Red-headed Woodpecker, Wood Thrush and the Tricolored. Cool shot of the White Pelicans in flight. I enjoyed all the photos! Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eileen...I felt like a kid at the candy store with a full tank of gas and a Plan. I rushed off so quick...I normally make a checklist but didn't so that's my reward...I thought about using Sassafras stick to brush my teeth I've heard it works, but they don't grow in a swamp! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. Awesome day! Love the pic of the cormorants and yellow legs! Last year when we went camping I ran off and forgot all our towels, washcloths, handtowels, so understand your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY SIS...LoL...this getting old and forgetful stuff is annoying to say the least. Today I put my toiletry kit in the van JIC you never know when you will need to brush your teeth or need some body lotion...I need to purchase more eye drops to put in but other than it now it's ready to go.

      Delete
  3. WOW you got to go camping!! It's understandable that you forgot some things, If I didn't keep all those things in a tote all the time I would never remember them either anymore. I can't wait for you to post the next part of this camping trip. I'm itching to get going to. The weather next week looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Jo, I had removed some things when I redid the ceiling and didnt put it all back in, so NOW I've gone back thru and tried to put in all what I need. It was so good to be out in the van again it's totally cozy and just plain a stress release for me.

      Delete
    2. Oh I bet it was wonderfull! I thought this was going to be a good week weather wise but now that has all changed, rain coming temps down into low 60 to mid 50's winds are horrible and none stop.

      Delete
  4. I bet it felt great to getaway. I think you were so excited so that's the reason why you forgot all those things. Camping does make you innovative so you can always find something. I cant wait until we can get away but it wont be until the restrictions on movement are eased which for Wales will hopefully be the end of March. There's a review being done this Friday.
    Some nice birds too I can empathise with having to relearn stuff.
    Here's to your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I know you are itching to go also...I was thinking of you today I tried to drag my bike out I want to get it back in usable condition...some of these long walks to get to the birding areas is wearing me out so when I GET to the birding area IM exhausted...So Im thinking a bike would help me with that problem...I need 2 tubes, and of course a good check up to make sure it's all in workable condition. And I need a new tire pump to carry along. Hope those restrictions are lifted soon so you can do what you want when you want. Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. I am so happy for you. You got a camping trip! That’s such good news. And in spite of the burn and construction, quite a lot of good birds (tho I know your expectations are higher than mine). It just all looks wonderful to me, Except maybe forgetting stuff... I’d miss my toothbrush. Ha, I have to make a detailed list every time we go away. I’d say it comes with age but I’ve always had to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I agree, the list slipped my mind therefore many things slipped but I managed and improvised so it was really not an issue...however, I didn't know I had left any of those things behind until I needed them...lol So it was like OH MY...It was so nice and quiet in this little campground only 3 of us as I said and all adults so very quiet.

      Delete
  6. A bit frustrating to forget certain things but in the end it looks like you managed :) and when you get to trek around and see the birds it doesn't seem to matter so much does it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right Pam, sometimes I find it a good feeling when I can overcome rocks in my path...hope you're day is a good one!!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely Wonderful - Love The Photos - Keep On Keeping On

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Travis...its been a long wet winter and Im ready for some sun and getting out in Nature. Take care.

      Delete
  8. It's always annoying when you forget to take certain items away with you!
    However, you managed to have a good trip, and I am pleased you found your water bottle. I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is,but it all worked out fine, I put my little zip up kit in the van so now it's ready to go. Thank you Jan.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!