Friday, November 6, 2020

One More Time.

Well I just didn't want to miss out so I came up with more gas money and went back to Bear's Island on Friday.  It's such a long drive and down I-95 where it's mostly trucks HUGE trucks going 70 and then people weaving in and out and around the trucks going 80mph.  This is why I don't go there more often...anyways I did it and I survived it and I enjoyed it!

Right off the bat I want you to hear and feel how windy it was so check this out...so that was the conditions most of the day.  Didn't even try for any thing in a Tree impossible really.  

P1150668
PLAY


But I had a good day! I tossed together some humus and flat bread and ate in the car when I got hungry out of the wind...and took some hikes, put on my jacket and hat,  it was quite chilly..

Just a few Dowitchers to pluck through...both long and short billed I think more short  I enjoyed seeing them fly up then settle again...they move as one big swoosh..




Among them was a small number of Stilt Sandpiper...I didn't get any good photos of them this one I tried to lighten and enlarge, but you get the idea...it's a smaller leaner sandpiper with a slight down turn on the end of the bill...


This is the photo I sent in for confirmation I put these orange dots on so you can see them sort of?


and there may be one or two in there I missed...



 Dowitcher long short? TBD

 they make it hard when they hide their bills under the wing almost like they are trying to hide their identity.  

So I ended up  with another rare bird  the Black Necked Stilt also seen by the others...


And I didn't turn in this duck.  I think it's an American Black Duck...I see no white on the tail but I was not 100% sure...no body else turned in a Black Duck that day not rare for me, I have seen them here before so I just left it to be my little personal sighting! Sometimes I just don't feel confident.  

Mottled or Mallard females have white in the tail feathers...so Im going with American Black Duck

Here's an unusual pose capture of the Tri Colored Heron.  I think the wind caught his wing..


Northern Shovelers were plentiful with the majority staying way back behind tall reeds Im was happy to see a few stray out into the sun...



Roseate Spoonbills also present...and always fun to watch.  


Spoonbills, Snowy Egret, White Ibis in this shot.


American White Pelican...normally we get the Brown Pelican so this was a treat to see..

Huge wingspan 


I think the little Snowy Egrets were using the big Pelicans as a windshield

The American Coot does not have web feet.  I have shown you a foot detail before they have LONG toes with flaps of skin on them to help with scooting thru the water..and they dive...but technically they are closer related to Sandhill Cranes according to Cornell labs!  They are not as camera shy as most waterfowl..


They eat mostly vegetation...check out this one ...
American coot
PLAY

And here they are again hanging out with some Blue Winged Teal...with the white crescent moon shaped white on their face...




The rest of the gang...


The ducks were arriving but the numbers are not there yet, Im sure now that it has turned colder and we had our first frost..more will be arriving,.


Sometimes this was the only view which was no view...



5 or 6 American Avocets were out poking around here's 2 of them...




White and Glossy Ibis were on one far bank ...



So whatta ya think it is?  I don't know what these 3 were checking out something I missed...

Pied Billed Grebe and 2 Female Blue Winged Teal 


Pied Billed Grebes


And here's a few landscape shots so you can see what the terrain is mostly...





Great Egrets


Maritime  forest



Reed chocked channels 



Big Live Oak Trees..


 mowed breaks...



Distant views of empounds 


So I hope  you have a better feel of what the place is like it's HUGE in size over 12,000 acres, there's a few roads open to the public, and they don't do much to keep the reeds cut so you can see they keep it more a habitat for wildlife to feed and spend the winter months  in peace except on hunt weekends! 
At time of creating this post the election is still undecided....so I hope we can soon celebrate. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE:
I made the decision to not keep my old Flickr album so many or most of the photos from my old post may have missing photos, videos, and other media...I am sorry but the constant money grabbing of Yahoo just got on my last nerve.  

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

18 comments:

  1. Hello, Sondra
    I-95 is scary at times, the trucks and the "weavers" scare me. It is really scary when those big trucks are tailgating. I am glad all went well, the visit to Bear Island looks great. I have not heard of this place, the birding looks fantastic, so much to see there. I love the Spoonbills and Pelicans are always a favorite. Great post and photos. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a happy ending to the election. Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I normally call it the dreaded 95....because I do not like that highway. Depending on the time of day it can be one car length them and it's like one huge snake going 70mph...very hard to feel safe. I enjoy seeing the birds that I only get to see when Im close the coast..Bear Island is only a Wildlife Management Area, and it's the 2nd or 3rd highest ranking hotspot in SC. It's south of Myrtle Beach and North of Charleston.

      Delete
  2. Such a wide variety of water fowl there, and other birds to photograph. I love the Rosey spoonbills, Ibis are gorgeous. Wish I had a place like this to go and take pictures. Why do fools have to drive like they left their minds at home. But you made the trip and had a great day to photograph so many wonderful birds and landscape.
    I wish they would get this counting over and done with already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo, the planning before hand of the mail in ballots seemed to be on getting them delivered and not on how are we going to count it all once it's here...I feel they should have triple the personnel they have. And the States need to change that silly law so those ballots can be counted the moment they arrive not waiting till election day..Hopefully they are learning a sharp lesson, but I kinda doubt it. All this time is just giving Trumps thugs momentum to do stupid things.

      Delete
    2. Your right why can't they be counted they don't need to make the numbers public but at least ready. So refreshing to get the fantastic news this morning!

      Delete
    3. Yes now we watch Trump pull out every single vile thing he can think of to try and stop Democracy from happening. It'a going to be a very rough 70 or so days...I hope Justice Prevails in the end.. He built a huge fence so we can't drag him out, he is trying to manipulate the courts, the DOJ, and the State Election Commissions to force them to put him as the winner. I hope people who were thought he was an ok person see this for what it is it's a COOP attmept.

      Delete
  3. That was a long drive Sondra. The Spoonbills and Pelican look great. The Black Necked Stilt looks very similar to an Avocet. A good day out and I can imagine it was not relaxing driving that highway as if your truck drivers are anything like ours they are intimidating and take advantage of their size and weight. The bully boys of the road.
    I dont think Trump will go in a dignified way, but thankfully he will be going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was a long drive...If not for my dogs I would love to split it into 2 days but what about them all day in the van, and there's alligators, so not a dog friendly area...I don't think Ive ever seen anyone bring a dog there...it has NO public facilities. I didn't want to put them thru a stressful day so I took the stress on my end and did the drive. There is nothing dignified about Trump I don't think he knows the meaning of the word...and the Senators who are supporting him are just as crooked as he is...Tried so hard to get Graham OUT but let me say we got very close...next time I think he will be GONE..

      Delete
  4. Suddenly America feels Great Again...what say you? People are dancing in the streets, Happy and Hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy today! Yes lets make America Great Again like it was 4 yrs ago before this deviate was handed the presidency we all know he didn't win it

      Delete
  5. Great news. I think many many people around the world will also be relieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have to toss the bum out but there is no mistake in the tally as he claims..a 5 million people mistake? I do believe the WORLD is relieved...but his unqualified cabinet continue to make us wonder wth is going on.
      The Trump administration abruptly dumped the leaders of three agencies that oversee the nuclear weapons stockpile, electricity and natural gas regulation this past week...no explanation given.

      Delete
  6. A lovely post, there's definitely plenty to see and worth driving the I-95?! On top of that you finally get the good news on Saturday, I was watching CNN here and of course on social media, so many happy people, a very good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, It was worth the drive the timing factor is what makes going there difficult...during summer heat its open but since there are no facilities period...it's hard to be out there all day without a bathroom to freshen up or even a place to get drinking water if you should run out, then asa the weather gets cooler and the birds arrive, they start the hunts and close it. I do think the Carolina Bird Club should try to get some sort of visitation for birders at least twice a month. There must be a way.
      The news has given all of us lighter shoulders!! Now if the Bully will just leave voluntarily.

      Delete
  7. Such A Peaceful Post - Thank You

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Travis hope things are going well with you.

      Delete
  8. That’s a wonderful place! So many bird sightings, I am in awe. It’s good (I think) that they don’t make it more walker friendly because then you’d have more crowds to deal with. And I say that as one who probably could not make it through this place. (I say that because I care about more than just myself. That’s why I voted for Joe!). ..... I feel a little better than I did a week ago, if only we make it to January 20;.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome place...so unfortunate that they close it down just as the main group of ducks arrive tho. One thing I saw was, more birders are out there now a-days. I have no doubt you would make it around there. AND I love your comment, caring more for something outside yourself...we all could use more of that. The things Trump is doing now is very scary...I almost think he plans a coop. Use the military AGAINST us and the President we elected to replace him. I hope the assholes who voted for him have enough sense to see what his real agenda is all about, it is about him and his huge debt that he can NOT repay because if he could wouldn't he have paid it by now?? If the Republican party goes unchecked much longer this country will become a Military Run Nation within 10 yrs. My prediction...Nazi party Republican Party no different at this point in
      the direction it is headed and meeting no challenge from the other side as it continues to believe in the common decency and morality when in truth the Rep. establishment has lost that long ago.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!