Wednesday, June 8, 2016

out in the yard....

They say double digits by Saturday today was Wednesday...so I jumped out of bed to get started on my decking...if  you recall my son helped me rip the old decking off...and I've been doing a little here and there in bracing up the framing so it would be stronger but that's about it..this was taken a while back my "before" shot..



It is not just the decking that needs to be taken care of the awning has to be painted, and the light, and the storm door, I plan to remove that old brick plant bed on the far right under the window...eventually!!  And the azaleas are overgrown.


The deck posts were very weathered on the top 1/2 so I made the decision to paint them! (paint I had on hand) And these pricey little copper toppers will help to preserve the posts I hope. This is the only one I purchased I wanted to be sure I could use them and I like it. 


And here is a start on the decking...




I have to get to Lowes tomorrow for more boards!  Next spring maybe I will be concentrating on the lawn and getting the flower beds back up in the neglected yard... and getting the trees in shape..
I have planted a few annuals to at least make this one bed look some better...and look what I did with my sons old bowling balls..HAHA...I Like it! He said .........whaaaaattttttttttttttttt?




I recently found one of my X's golf balls in the edge of the woods Im gonna glue it on top of the short bowling ball,,,haha ModArt. whadda ya think??




Now it looks like pewter...something from outer space..I had some buckets in the barn that had holes in the bottom...so I made planters 



The fern is a 3rd generation of the fern shown below...... so this is a grandson...and this is WHY I have not reset this fern it has the potential to become a giant..and where would I put it then? It used to live in the porch sunroom, but it outgrew the sunroom, and it passed away in 2011....so happy I had started another one and my sister has a brother too!!

me with the grand daddy fern in 2005 

and finally I've been drying some Oregano from the garden...
Plan to send some to a friend who lives in CO she will like this little card Im sending along as she is a retired art teacher!


.... that's my week so far, I'll be sure to post some "After" photos of the deck when its complete, it may be a while!!
Time for a nice Lemonade



 



PEACE
Eleanor Roosevelt: You must do the thing you think you can not.

10 comments:

  1. The deck will be a nice place to sit and relax and enjoy the garden when you get it all done. I love azaleas I used to have all colors when I lived in NJ. I bought one this spring but it just isn't going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Azaleas love our acidic soil...so try putting a 15-15-15 fertilizer on it but not in the fall best wait till spring!

      Delete
  2. You are so amazing! I see your cutting mat in that one pic! You said you'd been doing a little sewing! Won't be long before you are enjoying that back deck. You'll appreciate it so much more because YOU built it! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the cutting mat to help with framing up some prints! Now I have to figure out the steps on the deck...there is some math formula one can use yikes I hope I can figure it out...maybe a firefighters pole would be fun..haha!

      Delete
  3. There's a lot going on in this post but all I can think about is how BIG that fern is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a HUGE fern it actually got so big I delayed getting it under cover and we had an early frost and it died!! If I re-pot JR he would get that big Im certain of it!

      Delete
  4. Your granddaddy fern might be the biggest I've ever seen! I assume you meant triple digits, so be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only made it to 96F but, its the humidity, as you can guess, that is the "kicker in the butt here"!!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!