Thursday, May 30, 2019

Summer is on...

About a month early...It's HOT! My day has been beginning early and ending pretty early too...by 9 am it's too sticky and uncomfortable to enjoy being out...it's Memorial Day Weekend...which reminds me that the beach in Brooklyn where I lived would be having opening day...and it would be cold most likely...BUT here it is Summer time and the living is easy..
Last weekend we went to Mays Lake it's in the Sandhills Refuge we had it all to ourselves.   But this weekend we can't seem to get motivated to go anywhere...we have the blahs!


The birding has been good but totally dipped on any new species the past 11 days! Honestly I have not tried as hard as I should it's too hot and the birds are laying low except for the usual crowd...


Some new arrivals...to this world




Worried Mom...protecting her clutch


Don't recall ever having so many Yellow Breasted Chats around my area as this year I think it's the many successional (?) growths from all the timber cutting the past couple years. 



The Orchard Orioles have been busy too I haven't spotted a nest but I know they are out there...



And already seeing the weird immature birds that make you go hmmmmm...I'm going with Chipping Sparrow on this one shown below...



Finally got a shot of the Eastern Wood  Peewee...


and a "still" swallow is priceless...



Barn Swallows

There is really only one thing to do when it gets this hot...


As Jimmy demonstrates this for us...

I wonder what lucky bird lives in this house?


                                 Liberty Hill Tree House




PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

16 comments:

  1. Are the goslings sure are beautiful. Pretty killdeer eggs, how lucky you were to catch sitting barn swallows and Jimmy knows whats up LOL. Love the forrest picture. But my favorite bird is orchard oriole.
    Sure can't blame you for sticking close to home with all that heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo...the eggs were a surprise, at first I didn't see them...The Orchard Orioles are always ready to fly out and see what Im up to...they are smaller than they look in this photo.

      Delete
  2. We're not quite at the hot stage here yet, maybe by August!! The photo of the sun through the trees is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, thanks for your comment...It has cooled back down to the high 80's low 90's big improvement, but soon it will be hot and stay hot...

      Delete
  3. Oof, sorry to hear the heat has already kicked up for you. That shot of the light through the trees is stunning! Would make great wallpaper. Hope you get some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hear Wallpaper is making a come back! It was early like 7 am and the mist was rising as the sun warmed it up.

      Delete
  4. Hello, lovely photos. The shot of the light coming the the trees is beautiful. I love the Chat and the Oriole. The Barn Swallows and Killdeer are so cute. Jimmy has the right idea for cooling off. Happy birding! Wishing you a happy day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! Jimmy loves the water he always jumps right in!

      Delete
  5. Give me the cold over that kind of heat any day! I am reminded seeing the Orchard Oriole at how relatively common they have become here over the past few years. It used to be a real rarity, but recently we caught three together in one of our mist nets and it is no longer unusual to see them. A Yellow-breasted Chat......now that's another matter entirely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying see the Orioles and chats at my favorite stops! Thank you David.

      Delete
  6. I like the sun in the trees shot too, you caught it right. Your heat would be too much for me as once its above the 70 F then I'm looking for shade. Our spaniel used to do the same thing as Jimmy does. You can see the smile on their faces as they lie in the cool water.
    We've just arrived home so there is lots of catching up to do in the garden. It's always good to be home but then after a while you start looking forward to the next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave, I know exactly what you mean about being home and looking forward to getting out there and exploring...Summer is my least favorite time of year...it's the time of having to endure severe weather, and crowds of people.

      Delete
  7. lovely sightings. Orioles or chats would make my day! Especially if I got pictures. We are traveling on a non birding trip and actually any bird would make my day! (Wonderful trip though and I will Bird when we get home)...... Jimmy’s joy there almost makes the hot days worth it I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I hope you share all your adventures with us, you will enjoy your PNW birds when you arrive back home.

      Delete
  8. You've shared some lovely photographs here.
    I think the one with the light coming the the trees is so beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, the forest has such beauty to share if we happen to be there at the right moment.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!