Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Independence is Priceless


SO this last trip was long if you recall I left home on about March 15th driving and camping across  GA, FL, AL MS, LA, TX, AZ, NM, UT, and finally to CO, and on the return add NE, IA, IL, TN, NC, SC returned on June 8th around 6,500 miles I didn't get exact mileage, that's a pretty good estimate.  I ended up camping 30 days out of the 2 1/2 months I was away...

One thing I get asked a lot when I'm in campgrounds is "how do you like camping in  your van?"  So I thought I'd answer that question here on my blog.  First off I love it!  It's so simple.  I pull into my spot, hang my screens, get my chair out, tie the dogs up in the shade...and we're done!

Yes If I had the budget I'd buy an awesome class B with all the super bells n whistles, but that is not in the cards.

I feel lucky that I found this van back in 2011 and (knock on good wood) I've been able to put 60,000 miles on it and a lot of that has been traveling miles.  I actually have less stuff I take along now than I did in the beginning because I found I really don't need much!  And it depends on whether the dogs are with me, and I have some ideas on new plans for traveling with dogs IF I continue to take them along...it's not that they are not good dogs they are, but it's 3 individuals each with different needs, may as well be traveling with 3 babies!  I did swear this was their last long cross country trip but one thing I've learned is:
 never say never!  



I'd like to see a 5th wheel or travel trailer get in this spot that was built around a lava flow!


So my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 has a 5.2 liter engine, it is 8 cylinders and it still runs good.  One thing I know is this; I can take it anywhere you can take a regular truck! SO I'm not limited to just highway and paved campgrounds.  I take more risk than I should and it certainly is not a 4 x 4...I nearly got stuck in deep loose gravel on this past trip so it's a matter of not pushing the envelope...I have gone up steep narrow mountain dirt roads and had to keep going till I could find a spot big enough to turn  around without falling off a cliff!  It is not good in mud or deep sand, so if it's muddy I'm not going there. For the most part I can get into tight small spots, and I have had to cross more than one creek in it.  If I was towing any type trailer I would not be able to do that.  If I had a big high thing like a Sprinter, I would probably cave the top in on low hanging limbs...



Goose Island, TX April 2017

I have been using an air bed, but that is changing! I have plans to order a 6" or maybe thicker...high density foam rubber mattress I can order a piece 54" wide by 70 inches long  to put over my fold down bed.  



the bed is 69 inches long and 48" wide  May 2014 Lake Hartwell, SC

I'm tired of a couple things. 
 # 1 the noise of the squeaky air bed when I move around on it.  It rubs against the vinyl trim of the walls and its like when you rub a balloon against something!  (that creepy clown with a balloon sound)
#2 it makes my hair stand up in cold dry air, and I am constantly getting shocked, and look like a pinhead! ZAP!!~~
#3 It deflates or goes flat in the middle of the night!  
#4 It's like sleeping on an ice cube when the air is cold!
#5 And it's very uncomfortable to sit on it's like a bouncy house..lol If Annie is on one end and I sit down she nearly flies up into the air...lol that part is kinda funny tho. 
I will enjoy NO more pumping up! 


With Annie Otter Creek, VA Aug 2016

I loved my Coleman SUV Airbed, never had any of those issues with it, but it died, and  they don't make those anymore....I hate the one I replaced it with. 
So no more! I can make a nice cover for the foam mattress. Hopefully it will be an easy find.  I saw a 10" one on overstock but I'd rather find one I can cut to the exact size I want.  When it's not in use I can store it in a big vacuum bag! Stay tuned for that change. 
My van has lots of pockets for storage of small stuff...



The bins are along the top, these 2 captain seats are removed and in storage since I don't need them.  They snap in and out pretty simple but they are heavy! 

I like having the plastic lightweight 3 drawer units! I normally have 3 with me 
# 1 for clothes and it doubles as a bedside table, 
#2 for food storage, stored in the back cargo area 
#3 cooking kit and stove gas bottles storage. also in the back cargo area facing the back.   Each of these provides good flat storage on top for other "things". Like extra blankets, big beach towel, dirty laundry bag. 



Back yard 2011 the day I bought it.

The back cargo area, when the seat is laying down in bed position there is actually MORE room at the back since the bed slides forward about 10 inches when it's laying down. 




I didn't take the shelf units on this last trip because I needed the floor space for the dogs...so I felt very disorganized....I had my pots n pans in a storage bin strapped to the cargo rack that attaches to the trailer hitch...That was handy but I hated having to deal with securing it to the carrier every day for travel...and it was always covered with road crime and dirt. 


with the cargo carrier on the back Routt NF, CO Sept 2017


Sept 2016 Upper Peninsula, Michigan Heating up bath water

                                             
... idea: is dog carrier cages that flatten and can be assembled so the dogs have their own space and can be put outside the van when in camp!  Of course they would have covers for any weather issues!  I have a good system with screens on my windows and the door openings side and rear...this works really well 



Screens in place, a folding step to make getting in and out easier
Big Bend, TX May 2017

I am considering putting a swivel on the passenger seat so it can become my inside chair for relaxing, computer working, watching DVD's, journaling etc or for visitors.  Most of the time I'm out of the van , life happens outside, I don't want to cook in my van, if I had a second car yes, but I don't right now.  So I will continue to cook outside.  
OH and nap taking!


Pancake Bay, Ontario Canada Sept 2016 

If I'm going to stay in one spot a few days I take all kinds of things with me...and that is fun, but not necessarily fun to do alone, on this trip I had a friend along, notice the "spare bedroom". (tent)


canopy and tent  Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, NC June 2015

My normal set up is just my chair! I can cook right at the back by placing my folding table on the bumper and extending only one set of legs, this is the fastest method and I don't have a lot of set up or take down to do. 

Big Cypress Swamp FL Feb 2016

Mainly what I do inside is dress, work on the  laptop, watch a DVD, sometimes eat if its cold or buggy, relax if its cold, and sleep.  I'm pretty much inside once it's dark and outside as long as the weather is nice the rest of the time.   I can charge my phone, camera battery, DvD player, and computer as I drive daily but I'f I'm not driving then I use my Battery Pak, it's 1012 AMP...

 I  have the Coleman electric ice chest but it will drain my battery if I'm not careful. Meaning I need to be driving at highway speeds to keep the battery fully charged...if I end up sitting in traffic, or taking a slow cruise down a dirt road, I have to unplug the electric ice chest.  I'd like to go back to using a regular ice chest with a drain tube, when it's cold weather I don't even need an ice chest...stuff just gets cold overnight!



this simple set up is when I'm going out for a short trip like a week or less...Dupont State Forest NC 2014
And as mentioned I normally cook outside and set up my folding table if the picnic table is missing or grungy. 


Veggie Links when I first got the butane in Sept 2015,
Craters of the Moon, Idaho



Another very tight camp spot, Blue Ridge Parkway
Rocky Knob Campground Oct 2014

And the same site in Rocky Knob, VA Aug 2017 here is my normal set up


My stove, folding table, folding chair, and small ice cooler.  
It only takes minutes to set this up and put it away at the end of the day...

Sometimes it's just a quick snack in a pull out like here at Crater Lake with Casey...


Just grab something out of the cooler like humus, cucumbers, and crackers....and sit on the bed or set up my chair inside the van, its within easy reach at all times. 

Crater Lake Oct 2015

the no cook  are my favorite meals....and especially when shared with my buddy....

Flickr Ate My Photo

This was my first camp trip with the Van June of 2012,  Edisto Beach, SC.  My son borrowed the van for about 6 months right after I purchased it, so that is why it took so long for me to get in my first trip....I was still working full time my boss closed down for a week so she could take a vacation so it was off to the Beach for 3 or 4 days.  AND 

Mom and I took so many wonderful day trips in the van, my forever shotgun rider....


SO when people ask that intro question "how do you like camping in your van", all these wonderful trips and many more pop into memory and so I would say I've had 6 great years of camping with my van, and I wouldn't trade anything for it, and can't wait till the next time!



Happy Independence Day!



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

17 comments:

  1. I have been following you for many years it seems. And you know how bad I want one of these vans. They are hard to come by here but I know I would be on the road so much more. I'm not giving up the search. Maybe one of these days we can meet up again and travel around a bit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I see a van for sale...I think of all the people I know would love to get their hands on one, they are cheaper here in the south...there is a Facebook group dedicated just to Van's for sale, you should check it out there are from all over the US.
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/1824745341140389/

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sondra, I just joined maybe I will have some luck

      Delete
  2. Hello, I would love to have a camping van. You have been to some awesome places. I can't imagine 3 dogs and you in the camper, they must like to snuggle. Awesome memories and photos. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs do make it a challenge, but they seem to understand that it's cramped, during driving time it's simple Annie rides on the bed, (i put an old sheet I call Annie's sheet over the bed) Floss likes to be by the window, and Casey is in his bed behind my seat. At night when it's time to turn in is the challenge and of course the walking that is an issue when they have to each be on a leash. ug!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, I still remember when you got that van and seeing photos of how you set up the inside. Can't believe that was 7 years ago! I have major van-envy and finally started a savings account so that in a few years I can maybe find something like you have. Don't think I could do it with our three dogs though... Anyway, your van is awesome and I look forward to seeing more photos of your van adventures in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I know, can you believe it's been that long??? We have to own at least one vehicle, so this one overs all the bases for me. I did have the second car I gave that one to my son. The van does use more gas for running around town but I normally make one trip a week to do errands...just to keep down the expense. I saved the money, I paid cash for the van...but it was only $2,500!! They wanted $2,900 I made an offer and they accepted! You're on the right track. I recall my boss at that time asking me, "Why did you buy that big thing?" If only I could have explained all this to her but how could I? I knew all the worlds this van could open up for me. The 3 dogs do make it a challenge, but I just take life one moment to the next, it is the only way it makes sense sometimes. Good luck on your search, I will be following along!

      Delete
  4. I do envy how you can just go and that there are so many sites that cater for the vans, it seems so idyllic when i'm following your posts. I don't think we're quite as equipped in the UK for this kind of travel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in the Eastern US it's more of a challenge too as there is not as much open land for a traveler to explore but we are so lucky we have CANADA right up above us! It amazes me how many awesome Wildlife Preserves you have in the UK!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for showing us this Sondra, its interesting to see the kit you have. Wow thats a big engine, ours is only 2 litres. Those big engines go on for ever providing you change the oil etc. as they are hardly ever stressed. The van looks in very good condition too. Have you thought about a solar panel and a leisure battery?
    You have far more scope for off grid camping than we do here as wild camping in the UK apart from Scotland is illegal. Now you have a Smartphone have a look at Google Timeline as that can keep a track of all your routes. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I noticed my phone is tracking me...but most of the time I am out of range so it has big gaps one day we went to get a veggie pizza and when I returned home Google maps asked me to review my visit! I had no idea it was tracking me. I had no idea it was illegal to Wulf camp what about back packers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also forgot to answer your ? I am exploring the option of solar $$ is the hold up...😐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strictly wild camping is illegal in England and Wales but Scotland has different laws. All land is owned, whether by individuals or organizations, and so the law says that if you want to go wild camping, you should get prior permission from the landowners to avoid trespassing. This the theory but wild camping goes on but there is always the risk of being prosecuted for trespass. However if you follow the code of leaving the place as you found it you can get away with it. Some irresponsible campervan owners often spoil this by dumping their grey and black waste. I suppose you have to consider how long you intend keeping your van before going to the cost of fitting a solar panel and leisure battery.

      Delete
    2. Oh now I understand how the wild camping works there...I can do a solar set up that I could remove But I have no plans selling the van...and is has basically of no value with the mileage and age of it so as long as I can keep it running I plan to.

      Delete
  8. Hooray for van camping! Can't wait to take our RoadTrek out now that we're in the same state as it is (it has been waiting for us in our 'storage unit' in our daughter's barn. That Coleman stove is sweet! Very streamlined compared to the Coleman camp stove we used back in the days when we tent camped (with six people to cook for on it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know you must love the Road Trek, it's awesome!! The Butane is sooooo easy and it cooks great. I have an older coleman that uses the gas, it's a pain to use!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!