Monday, July 9, 2018

Ducking the Heat!

It's been HOT! More humid than anything...but that makes it so uncomfortable to be outdoors where I love to be so I've been a couch potato.  I have been doing most of my outdoor chores, get it done as early as I can ...meanwhile I'm back to receiving the ABA rare bird alerts for my area...and one came over  that I watched for a few days....it was a bit of a drive but with the AC blasting in the van I figure may as well make the drive, get off the couch for a day, so on the eve of the 4th, away I did go.


 

North up I-26 which they call East and West, so  I guess we must drive West...to get to North Carolina, about 37 miles over the border near Asheville.  It was a bit cooler, or less humid I should say.  (90 degrees) If you've visited or ever heard of the Biltmore Mansion, and the Biltmore Forest, right along the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, that's where I was.  My target area was Julian Lake Park...it's a nice park on the banks of the Julian Lake, there's picnic areas, a playground, fishing pier, a dock for boats, and plenty of Ducks and Geese!






My target bird was actually a duck! But while looking for him I saw this....an Egyptian Goose!  Wow. check out these feathers. 




Egyptian Goose



#445

And those PINK legs...what a surprise, I had not seen him reported...so I was happy to see one here.  

These ducks and geese are wild, but they are also well cared for, I must explain.  They live the life of normal waterfowl, they have predators, they are free to come or go but why would they go when they are being fed?  I met one of the volunteers...and she explained that there is a group of benefactors who come and feed the ducks and geese that call this lake home. 


I walked around with this lady who is one of the volunteers that feeds the waterfowl...


She took me over and I got to hand feed some of the Greylag Geese and the Muscovy they were so gentle when they took the pellets from our hands....and the Muscovy had 4 ducklings...so very cute.  This one eating up here is only a year old she is not the mother of the chicks, they may be her step siblings. 



And my first Indian Runner, a Domestic Duck, they walk upright like a penguin!  Here's one but he didn't walk for me he was enjoying a rest...Brown duck on the left 


I reported these as Greylag and Canada Goose Hybrids, 



And some others, 


I'd say this was def a hybrid too...



AND last but not least the target bird, this lone white cheeked pintail!  What a beautiful duck!  I didn't get to see him in the water wish now I had waited till he was ready for a swim, but he was more interested in resting after he foraged on the pellets the lady tossed out...


#446

This duck is much smaller than a mallard...




Look at the lovely feathering on his back...and he has this brilliant green wing stripe showing up here in this shot..


This is not a domestic duck, he is hanging out with a group of hand fed ducks and why not... he arrived wild and has settled in nicely....I don't know about his breeding code, but he sure is a fine looking duck.  The volunteer told me he has been living here on and off...he left when it got cold and returned in the spring.  It is a Neotropical species spottily distributed in South America and the Caribbean and a frequent visitor to marsh land in Florida...according to Cornell Lab.



A really fine day of ducking the heat!  I'm creeping up on 450, half my goal at half the year so my cup is half full!

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. He certainly is a beautiful duck, elegant with striking plumage. we visit a wildfowl centre, https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/ not too far away so am familiar with your first few birds. But this one was well worth the trip. the UK is also in the throws of a heatwave and we are just not used to it. Temperatures have been high since early May and the last couple of weeks they have been up to 30C. This is not our typical summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for you guys I don't know if you have Air conditioning or not...but without it, we would probably die! At the very moment we have a small reprieve, and it has been a blessing. This little duck was so pretty!!

      Delete
  2. I am assuming the Egyptian Goose is a captive bird. Watch out if a few of them ever escape. They are very adept at colonizing new areas. It is a common species all over Europe now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, as far as I was told these ducks n geese come and go at will, but they are so well fed, I imagine that is why they stay.

      Delete
  3. The Egyptian Goose is so gorgeous, but then all these ducks are beautiful. Love the patterns and colors in the feathers. Glad you made a little day trip to this lovely Lake and even was able to feed the ducks. Yes why would they leave they have it made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo the Egyptian was a surprise, my first one! I love all birds domestic wild tame or crazy! LoL...I'm easily thrilled. Hope you're staying cool.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful duck to see. I've only ever seen one Egyptian Goose and it was looking in a bit of a sorry state. It looks like a great place to visit. I remember feeding a Muscovy years ago - an escapee that was at our local pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muscovy's are so out going and totally cute then somewhere around adulthood, they become not so great looking!

      Delete
  5. Hello, great series and nice looking ducks. Love the cute ducklings. Congrats on your lifer. I saw the Egyptian Goose in Lakeland Florida. They are pretty ducks, but I love them all.
    Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tickled pink with those bubble gum colored legs on that Egyptian Goose!

      Delete
  6. Wow that's a pretty duck but all of the sightings were great. i see Eileen's comment above and Lakeland is a place just like what this one you went to is -- wild ducks, geese, and waterbirds but they are fed. I really appreciate those kind of places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have places like this around, there is nothing like that close to me wish there was!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!