Sunday, April 22, 2018

Madera and Meeting a Friend!

Madera Canyon Meeting a Friend

FLICKR ATE MY PHOTOS and Im trying to find them  

March 29

I arrived at Madera Canyon and the Santa Rita Mountains about 4 in the afternoon on Thursday. 



 The campground, Bog Springs, was full.  I drove the length of the Madera Canyon Road, it is only 8-9 miles long, just to get the lay of the land.  You enter the Canyon from the North/west.... the road sort of runs Northwest to Southeast.  I drove up to the Wrightson's Picnic area and right away I saw Bridled Titmouse (lifer)...never got a clear shot of a single one! 

bridled titmouse

 I got this photo of what I think is the Pacific Slope Flycatcher. (lifer) It basically reminded me of a RC Kinglet with a small hook on the tip of the bill.  



I drove back down and was able to find parking at the Santa Rita Lodge and Gift Shop..they have feeders out.  
Saw more of the same hummers I had seen at Paton, 

Santa Rita Lodge



                                                               violet crowned hummer

along with other good birds...like the Yellow Eyed Junco-->Lifer!



I didn't know that the lodge was  at the county line so ebird got on my case I entered my checklist in one county and it crossed into another..."You can not make one checklist that covers 2 counties"....OKAY! Anyways I hope I got it straight.  That one percent Sprint is always bragging about is not in the this hemisphere I'm beginnng to think.  I used the ebird app to enter that checklist.  It was getting late. 

And we thought squirrels did damage..


I was tired and ready to park for the night...I was told there is dispersed camping down Proctor Road.  So I went back North to Proctor.  The road was terrible... big rocks sticking up and I had to cross the creek it had a good solid rock bottom, but then a very steep hill of dirt and gravel when pulling out of it made it sketchy!  





Public lands have become nothing more than cow pastures!  So all the good level sites were taken, and I kept looking I ended up right amongst the cows and the cow patties.  The dogs were thrilled they sniffed, ate, and tried to roll in the cow patties...Holy terror!! 





bat houses

I am not a fan of ranchers using our public lands for grazing! They are polluting the water and ruining the delicate lands...the way I see it if you want to be a rancher you should be owning a sizable chunk of land and paying property taxes for it...and grazing your cattle there...not expecting the US public to pay for your cattle being fed and having to step in cow pies when we're recreating on our public lands!  I got nothing against cows, ranchers yes!
The moon was awesome...me and the cows were happy. 

                                                                          In Madera 



March 30 Friday
In the morning I got up before the sun rose and headed to Proctor Parking lot... 



no way I wanted to cook and eat with all the cow doody all around me so in the trail head parking lot no one was stirring yet...ate and got ready for the day, walked the dogs got them settled in a shady spot and lit out on the Proctor trail.  The rumors of the Elegant Trogon: he was last seen in the Proctor to Madera  area of the trail.  



This is a 7/10ths of a mile section...The trails follow the creek, and so did I.  Had lots of Yellow Rumps all over the place, as well as Ruby Crowned Kinglets, and then a really good bird the Black Throated Gray Warbler! My photo not so hot but as the ladies from Delaware helped me figure out it was the yellow supraloral above the eyes that sealed it.  


On up the trail the rumors of the Elegant Trogon keep driving us farther South but I had the dogs stationed at Proctor 



so I had to turn around and hike back...7/10ths mile...Walked them then moved the van up to Whitehouse Parking area and hiked South from Whitehouse to Madera.  1/2 mile from Madera to the Lodge another 1/2 mile...then back to the van so by then my feet had it! 


Then there was the Painted Redstart! Yes!! Apparently it's very common and in the end I saw like 6! Thrilled. 




Red Naped Sapsucker one of the Delaware ladies needed.  There it is!

Delaware...




Lots of WB Nuthatches, Lincoln Sparrow, Hermit Thrush, Canyon Towhee, Bewicks Wren, as well as 8 Wild Turkey attacking the feeders at the lodge feeding station.  An Empid/Contopus like bird behind twig cover someone told me it could be a Dusky Flycatcher. (it looked more like Willow to me, the wing bars were buffy in color, maybe even a Greater Pewee)  Just couldn't pin it down yet. 




I really coudn't tell...maybe it was.  I hiked till my feet said NO MORE....I had racked up a nice list for my trouble and had 5 lifers with the Pacific Slope FC, Black Throated Gray Warbler and the Painted Redstart the Bridled Titmouse, and the Yellow Eyed Junco. (I guess it counts) So no Trogon -was a big disappointment but you can't see them all!  I stopped at the gift shop for a treat watched the hummers fight and then went back to Proctor Rd and another night in the cow pasture! MOoooooo under the moon!

Santa Rita Lodge HQ




March 31
I had been texting back and forth with blog friend JO, Of Mom's Little Run Away...and we made arrangements to meet up for lunch at Proctor on Saturday about noon.  Silly me, I forgot this was Easter Weekend! So Saturday morning early I heard lots of cars entering the park, I could hear the tires burring over the cattle guards...so I left the cow pasture early and staked out a table in the Proctor area only 2 tables there so I figured it would be the best place to enjoy a quiet meet.   I had y breakfast there and left my 'kit' out to claim the table. Most of the other picnic areas are really large with lots of tables... 


After I secured the dogs I hiked the Proctor trail once more and had some good birds nothing new.  Met a very interesting couple from Indiana who have a website called the 19ers, or something to that effect....they only need 2 more owls to have all 19.  Back at Proctors meeting JO was so much fun we chatted like old friends for a couple hours and it was just the best!!   Jo witnessed my Flossie try to attack a man who made the mistake of walking towards us...so happy I had her tied up or I'd probably be in court as I type this! Man she really has people aggression more and more! 
It was so terrific to meet Jo, see her rig,  and I wished the campground had not been so full we could have camped together...Got so caught up in the moment didn't take any photos!! SO genuine, and that is what I really look for in people...being truly themselves and just a down to earth person, it was a pleasure.  Hope we can meet again someday. 
------------------>t b continued--------------------->




PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

16 comments:

  1. Hello, it is great you met up with your friend. Congrats on all 5 lifers, they would be new birds for me. I have to do some more birding in the Southwest. The Painted Redstart is a beauty! Pretty scenery and photos. Enjoy your day and happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool to meet Jo, and to see all the new birds! The South west has so much to offer, wish I lived closer!

      Delete
  2. So fun you met a blog friend! I almost never remember to take people pictures,for the same kind of reasons. If I ever show people it's because somebody else took them and sent them to me.

    You saw some amazing birds wow -- all those lifers. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I just missed you guys in FL, I had my camera right there too!

      Delete
  3. A very interesting account of a visit to an area with which I am very familiar. I don’t know whether you plan to go to the Chiricahuas but you are much more likely to see Elegant Trogon there. Try the South Fork Trail. I have seen it there every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go to the Chiricahuas! I did not see many birds there I think I was a wee bit early.

      Delete
  4. I imagine its good to meet up with a blog friend and put a face to the name. Many of our national parks are to a great extent managed by the farmers but there is a strict control by the N P Authority. Grazing animals play a big role in keeping the environment stable and controlling it. Some more lifers for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some public lands could be set aside for grazing but it is is such an abused system.

      Delete
  5. Well let me just say I so enjoyed out lunch together it was great meeting someone who has such a great outlook and is also so down to earl. It was so easy to sit a talk about lots of things. We have been reading each others blogs for a very long time makes it like meeting and old friend. And yes I sure hope to be able to meet up again sometime I love the bridled titmouse I can watch them all day and yes they are busy little guys. I got lucky when I last camped there to get lots of shots because there was water standing under the faucet and they all came to take their mourning bath.
    I have never seen the turkeys so bold before. The first time I stayed up there and rented a cabin there was just one now look at the flock. (is that correct)

    I'm happy you found so many new lifers for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun!! Yes the turkeys have really taken over the bird feeding area it was fun to watch them. The cabins look rustic...and I like that you can get right on the trail from the cabins.

      Delete
    2. I've stayed at the cabins years ago went they didn't charge you and arm and both your legs, early fall I stayed in the casita's in the back at $115. a night they since have gone up to $145.

      Delete
  6. It's always nice to meet online friends, i've done this plenty myself :) Fantastic to get all the lifers, makes up for missing the Trogan I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to meet up with Jo, we had a great visit. And yep I had no idea a Trogan would even be there.

      Delete
  7. Sondra, have you read that Flick has been sold to Smugmug. I know you have lots of photos on it so this link may be useful.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/two-ways-to-get-your-photos-out-of-smugmugs-flickr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY so does that mean they are closing??

      Delete
    2. Oh and thanks for the link, I have book marked it I need a new external drive to put all these photos in...There is no way to store this many big files on my laptop and my desktop died.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!