Saturday, April 7, 2018

Louisiana and Texas Again!


Sorry about the radio silence....without any internet it's catch and miss kinda of thing...and in my case it was MISS!  One night the park had Wifi Google would not connect to it....I know I was in Mississippi at a  rest area when last I blogged, and later that day the sun came out a little...This was March 18th.


Next day the rain stopped and it got steamy and warm...driving across Louisiana I noticed some rice fields along the frontage rd just off I-10



...and was amazed at how many waders were taking advantage of that shallow water look wayyyy back on the right side see the white?




Along with all these White Ibis, were lots of Egrets, Glossy Ibis, and you don't see any here but tons of Laughing Gulls.  

We ended up staying at Sam Houston Jones State Park, in Lake Charles Louisiana we got there kind of late so I didn't see much there is a nice marsh there...I heard Barred Owl and Screech Owl that evening when I walked the dogs along with the huge sound of Bull Frogs!







The next day we headed south  and hooked up with the Creole Scenic Trail...Highway 27 South out of Lake Charles.  It's basically a loop of the scenic gulf shore of LA before you go through Port Arthur and into TX.  I stopped at the Cameron Prairie Wildlife Refuge, 




and had plans to do the Pintail Loop Wildlife Drive but got there and the majority of it was closed for a scheduled burn! Damn! 


So I saw what I could ....Some Snow Geese and a few were the Blue Phase...which was a first for me...I tried to tell this guy from Ontario about it he nearly cut me off in mid sentence...LoL he said he sees that on the daily.



Also around were Black Necked Stilts, Ibis: White, Glossy, and White Faced!  
Plenty of Blue Wing and Green Wing Teal in the mix too...and some Greater Yellowlegs.



gr yellowlegs



walked the board walk found this Common Gallinule in the thickets...she barely stuck her head up for me...



After the smoke drifted more in my direction we headed across the road to another area, and the dogs loved it...



Then headed on down 27 South stopped at this old cow pens on the side of the road, and found more of the above mentioned along with about 5 Roseate Spoonbills! 


wood duck 

blue winged teal on the wing  Flickr Ate My Photo

We had to ride a small ferry the Cameron II cost $1.   Pretty cool...lots of Laughing Gulls around to watch us ferry over.




Once we got off the ferry we were now on highway 87 heading south to
Sea Rim suffered some hurricane damage and one road was completely washed out...but beach camping was still available so I headed for that...we got in sort of late so I didn't see much that day...I was pretty tired to be honest! 



The boardwalk is still in pretty good shape a few loose planks here and there but still beautiful...I saw lots of cool birds, as shown below!


                                         White Ibis Immature



Some gators too of course...



Down on the beach that evening it was fun to have all this going on right by us I strolled around till the mosquitoes drove me inside.  I got about 1,000 bites on my 2 untanned legs! 

                                            gulls and terns



                                                Dunlin


                               white tailed kite hunting




                                        female Black Bellied Plover



     American Avocet with the Dunlin in the foreground, and Laughing Gulls in the back




And a flock of about 16 Semipalmated Plover showed up...also had some least sandpiper in with the mix...



                                       SEPL and a Sanderling




 Sun going down...

That night when I walked the dogs under the nearly full moon we saw a wild hog wading in the moonlit surf on the beach..really an awesome sight...

Next Morning....
 



... after the night on the beach I headed to the day use area to make coffee and breakfast on the paved ground instead of tracking sand in and out and right away overhead a lifer landed in the parking lot and I was beyond thrilled!

Long Billed Curlew



                                       Long Billed Curlew

I was just standing there brushing my teeth when he flew in! First lifer of this trip.



#420

Later I headed over to McFaddin NWR Wildlife Drive it's only a mile or 2 up the road,,,,and did see this Clapper Rail out in the open...I spotted a Sora at Sea Rim just off the boardwalk, but she was too quick for a photo...



                                         clapper rail

Had one Spotted Sandpiper at the boat ramp area...




 And some ducks at Clam Lake..I was there before the fishermen! Mostly American Wigeon and some Blue Winged Teal. 







Had a scissor tailed flycatcher up on the power line




And the Osprey...






Looks like he had some breakfast in those talons. 

And the wire continued to be productive with a Peregrine Falcon!



On the beach later lots of Bonaparte's and Laughing Gulls along with Foresters, Caspian, Common, and Sandwich Terns.
   




The beach birds were rounded out with Sanderlings, and Brown Pelicans, 
and later on the off boardwalk we had a flock of Long Billed Dowitchers...
I always want to stay longer at Sea Rim....so much to see there.  




                                maybe some shorts mixed in...


We had lunch on the public beach and then a little shelling and beach-combing...


pelican bones?



Caspian Tern


Sandwich Tern




A Sanderling looks UP! 


And the ever present and popular Great Tailed Grackle!





Spent 2 nights and 3 days here then headed due WEST! Passing though Houston, and then across to San Antonio and to the Hill Country of Texas. 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful range of species. You are obviously having a great road trip. Congratulations on your lifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David it was a great trip really enjoyed everything I did.

      Delete
  2. So happy you are able to post. Oh the wonderful birds and places you have seen. I would love to camp on the beach but talking skeeters I don't know ahaha. Cant' wait to see more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up seeing all kinds of really cool birds so hopefully as I'm able to post you be able to see more of them

      Delete
  3. Lots of good spots ans great to get a lifer. The dogs really look as if they are enjoying the trip, great company I bet and comforting to have them with you. I read your friends blog when she met up with you and she wrote that you were having internet problems, which is not a bad thing as it takes time to compose and upload. Have a great time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that was the only bad part about letting go of Verizon I lost my portable Wi-Fi device so anyway that's the way life goes I'll post when I can

      Delete
  4. Hello, this trip sounds awesome. Great birds, congrats on your lifer. I love the Spoonbill and the Curlew. The Kite, Peregrine, the Rail and Flycatcher are all wonderful birds. Great sightings and photos. I would like to follow this same route on a trip, but we would need hotels. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serum is really a great place and I don't know if you could find lodging nearby probably could I had I haven't checked into that the whole area down the Gulf Coast is really super

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you found a place where you could post. This is wonderful. Your shore bird ID skills astound me -- I need to go birding with an expert like you (preferably at a great place like Sea Rim -- I can't believe how many different birds you saw!!) Obviously you and the dogs are having a wonderful time, in spite of mosquitoes and planned burns (and no wi-fi). Thanks for sharing it all. Wishing you continued safe travels and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part the dogs enjoyed it they get tired of being confined that's a little hard because it means extra walking for me when I'm tired

      Delete
  6. It looks like a fantastic tree so far, beautiful places and beautiful birds, the Curlew is very much like the Curlews we get here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Curlew is a bird I've been hoping to see for so long and was thrilled to finally see her

      Delete
  7. I love that you found a lifer while brushing your teeth! So cool. It's always nice when the birds come to you. Glad you're having a good trip and seeing so much awesome stuff. The dog video is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah can you just imagine me trying to get all that toothpaste out of my mouth and grab my camera haha it was something else

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!