Friday, September 10, 2021

Good Bad Ugly


I gotta say this week was such a challenge for me.  Right off the bat, nothing went right...and I guess I drew all that to me somehow...And all the PTSD of 9/11 wears on my mind.  Our beautiful humidity free days ended too fast but they say it will get better by the end of the week...hopefully by the time you are reading this post. 


This is one of the Butternut Squash I grew, actually I grew everything in this bowl except the Rice and Quinoa.   I love one bowl meals, easy peasy, 


More Homegrown
 


This Great Blue  Heron was grooming while standing on a submerged log and he made a nice reflection...I took this last week 

SO my new camera arrived it's exactly like my old one only not worn out.  It just arrived yesterday and I haven't done much with it since it's been raining  since it arrived...and what I did last week with my old camera I lost when my computer CRASHED...Windows 10 and Microsoft...used to put out a good product now its an unstable and temperamental beast. 


I thought this could be immature Northern Shovelers...thanks to a  couple of birding buddies, Jen of I Used to Hate Birds, 
 and Steve Patterson a local ebirder, who both advised  me on these ducks...
Best consensus is Blue Winged Teal female.  I don't think I've ever seen them without males to help give away the identity.  

modern turf sod farm 

 
I made a trip to a local sod farm last week to look for Upland Sandpiper 


found them. they were too far out for decent photos (on the right) and I found these 2 below  later but didn't have a clue what they were then  another birder  listed them as Buff Breasted Sandpiper, again pretty far away...we are not to disrupt sod farm operations by driving up their access roads or tromping out on the sod, so its hard to get close this one is 3.4 miles in total area


 so that was good 2 rare birds in one field.

And this was kind of rare also...and sad.  IN an empty Parking lot right across from the Piggly Wiggly in town  I found a dead Armadillo.  Poor thing-- they are so cute when they are alive...I can't see any obvious cause of death I wonder if poison was at work here??

Sometimes Nature is not all rainbows and everything nice...


Once only seen along our border states the Armadillo has made it's way north and some consider it a nuisance animal for the digging they do...can't say I would want one in my yard, but I think I would try to relocate it.  


Had some Wood Stork fly over one of my stops last week,,

Since my blog posts on Thursday at Midnight I normally start putting it together on Wednesday...I did upload a few photos to Google Photos that I havent shared so I will just have to dive into that and put something together since I lost all the photos on my laptop,  Thankfully I have saved most of my heirloom photos on T-Drives, so those are safe... but the recent stuff is what I lost. 


POP QUIZ:  What track do you think this is?  Not the man made ones but the ones in the middle? 

Here is another hint...

Answer at bottom 

 I  enjoy how the light glows through this Fritillary wings, from my butterfly field trip..




Answer to the Pop Quiz is:

Wild Turkey, the feather is a tail feather...and the track of Turkey  always has a big middle toe. I hope you  learn something new from this blog each time you visit. 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

8 comments:

  1. Pleased that your camera has arrived, and a Happy Birthday too. At least you wont have to start learning how to work the camera as I suspect its very similar to your old one.
    I didn't realise that you had armadillos in SC I can imagine that they are a pain if living on your property but as you say relocate them not kill them.
    I guessed it was a turkey but that was down to the feather. Birds feet are often a good pointer for identification. Enjoy your camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave, thanks for the tip on MPB, the camera is good,.it's exactly the same as the one I've been using only it's in good shape where as I wore mine out!
      Yes I have been seeing sign of Armadillo, but I hardly ever see them alive...so sad. People run over snakes I never understood that either. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. Hello Sondra
    I love the ease of the one bowl meals too, looks yummy. Congrats on your Sandpipers sightings. Neat shot of the Wood Stork flying over, there is still one being seen in Maryland near the Potomac and C&O Canal. I hope the Armadillo did not die from poison, I think they are cute critters. Pretty butterfly. Take care! Have a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, thank you...I was really sad to see the armadillo dead, they deserve to live in peace. Many species seem to be creeping north, we never had coyote now we do. I really hope the anaconda stay put in FL tho. Have a great weekend,

      Delete
  3. You know I agree 100% about Windows 10 and Microsoft they are trash! Sorry about losing all your photos. I need to do a big back up because my laptop is running like crap again.
    Great photo's once again. Poor armadillo think maybe some one ran it over? Glad your new camera showed up now for the weather to help you out. Maybe this will be a wonderful weather weekend and week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo, I don't know what happened to that armadillo, it didn't not seem to have an injury, but I didn't roll it over I only observed it from my van window,,,the camera works fine it's the exact one I been using so same quality it was beautiful yesterday outside and the same today so Im planning to go explore somewhere.. Hope your weekend is fun.

      Delete
  4. There is something wrong with my PC also, but I am trying to muddle through until we get to our sons in Colorado because I don't have time to take it anywhere before we leave. Either he can fix it or I will take it somewhere while we're there. I don't know if it is hardware or software, but it is slow and won't go to full screen. ... One bowl meals are really my thing these days -- and sheet pan meals. Yours looks delicious. We have been eating homemade hummuus a lot and roasted vegetables now that it has cooled down some. Yay. (Also oven stuff is great right now because I won't have that when we travel in the tiny trail. Just a wee microwave and a stovetop. Our Colorado kids are vegetarian so that will be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think simple meals make life easy for everyone and less clean up too...I just ate the last Butternut squash out of my garden it sure was nice having that treat. I hope you get your pc working good again, one thing I am doing is not allowing it to connect automatically to the internet...trying to keep Microsoft from spying on me. Happy travels to you.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!